Which amp/receiver for Monitor RS6?

Username: Ehv

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2
Well, after a few months of research and shopping, I think I may have found my ultimate floorstanding speaker in the Monitor RS6. My budget for speakers was around $1000, and I listened to KEF IQ7, Wharfedale Diamond, Paradigm , Klipsch, Quad 12L. All had their strengths and weeknesses, but the Monitors came out on top for me (although the Quads sounded great, but the equivalent floorstanding model would have busted the bank). FYI these will be for music only, hooked up to my PC via an amp or receiver, and I'd like the sound to fill up my whole loft apartment, which is about 15 x 40 ft.

So onto my question: which amp or receiver would you suggest? I'm looking for something that is on the budget side, but which would still be worthy of the Monitor speakers. At the dealer, they were pairing the RS6's with a new Pioneer Elite SX-AJ6 receiver. The speakers sounded terrific with the pioneer, but at $700 I'm wondering if I could get something less expensive that would still pair well with the RS6's. How would the Marantz SR4021 or HK3480 do? Or perhaps a used NAD amp? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Best,

Eh-V

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 3
yikes, just re-read my post, i meant "weaknesses", not "weeknesses"!

Eh-V

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1044
I have only heard the RS6's on Bryston,NAD and Pioneer Elite. Thats basically the order they sounded the best in.lol. I actually didn't care for the Pioneer Elite myself with the RS6's. Too directional, and electronic sounding. The NAD/RS6 was very nice, the Bryston/RS6 was amazing. Obviously Bryston is out of the question for you due to price. The NAD T743 is being pushed off the shelves right now for like 500 taxes in CDN making room for the new receivers. Try to find one. Also look at some Entry level Onkyo.

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 4
Hey Nick K,

Thanks for your advice - i will definitely look into the T743. It's funny that you had that experience with the Pioneer unit. Maybe it was more due to the good quality of the speakers, but i actually found the sound to be very broad and not too directional - i will definitely need to listen to the RS6's with a different amp. Also, being that the T743 is 5.1 channel, would it not stand to reason that an NAD 2-channel stereo amp would be a cheaper find? or is it because, as you said, the T743 is being cleared out?

Thanks,

Eh-V

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1745
Marantz & Monitor Audio always made a nice couple, IMHO.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1048
Eh-V, a two channel integrated amp would be my choice over a two channel receiver. But either one could be probably found in your price range and would probably fair better than a A/V receiver for two channel listening.

Chris also has a good recommendation on the Marantz audition as well. Try to listen to as much as you can on the RS6's.

Username: Tsh

Post Number: 10
I have the previous version MA Silver 6 speakers in my two channel setup with the NAD C352 integrated and C542 CDP. I think that amp can be had for about $600 CDN and I think it works very well with the speakers.

I have only minor complaint with the amp - using the remote to increase volume, I find it jumps significantly with one click of the volume button. You cannot go up in small increments like you can by turning the knob on the amp itself. Not a big issue at all - just the one thing I find a little annoying.

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 5
Thanks for all the advice! Here's a quick update: yesterday I visited an audio shop that sells new and used equipment, and I listened to a new B&W 684 ($1100) floorstander hooked up to a used NAD 314 amplifier ($300). The NAD seemed to work well with the B&W's, and I would really need to listen to the B&W's next to the Monitor RS6's to decide which would be better (and a better match for the NAD), at this point i don't think i could go wrong with either speaker. I'm thinking that whichever speaker i do go for, the NAD amp is a great deal and i should probably go for it. I never listened to the Marantz, but i figure if the NAD sounds well enough, why not go for it, right? what do you guys think?

TS Scott, well-noted about the remote issue with your NAD, although i won't have to worry about that as the 314 doesn't even come with a remote!

Eh-V

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2398
En-V,

The NAD 314 was a very good sounding amp for the money. $300 is WAY too much for one. Its at least 10 years old. Not to bash it, but that's about as long as its expected to last.

For $300, you can easily find a used NAD 320BEE. Its far better in every way, has more power, and even a remote. It'll last a hell of a lot longer too. For $400, you can get a brand new 325BEE.

Don't pay more than $100 for the 314. $300 for a 314 is one of the biggest rip offs I've seen.

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 6
Stu Pitt,

Thanks for the advice on the NAD. For what it's worth, the store (Son Ideal, a well-known dealer in Montreal) had completely refurbished the amp and was offering an additional 1-year warranty. Regardless, I will definitely hold off on buying until I've had a chance to scope out some better options.

Thanks,

Eh-V

Gold Member

Post Number: 1060
Eh-V, I totally agree with Stu's last post. I can't believe somebody is selling that for 300 dollars.. Like Stu said, you can have a new one for the same price, and it will be much better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1753
http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/PM7200

http://stereophile.com/integratedamps/907onk/

Gold Member

Post Number: 1062
The Marantz is sexy isnt it? I love the look of their stuff.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1758
Yes, the Marantz is warm & sexy (I'm staring at my Marantz gear as as I type), but I meant to post this link for the Onkyo A9555 http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/ONKA9555BLK

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 7
Well noted, the NAD is not a good deal. Thanks for the heads-up, Chris. I will look into the Onkyo and Marantz models. Is one better than the other for my needs? Also, if i choose to go the Receiver route, such as the the Marantz SR-4021, will I be losing out on a lot of sound quality (versus sticking to an integrated amp)?

Thanks,

Eh-V

Gold Member

Post Number: 1760
"Is one better than the other for my needs?"

The Marantz is currently out of stock, so the point might be moot, but all thinks being equal, I'd opt for the Marantz, but the Onkyo looks to be very nice as well. Also realize both are refurbs.

"Also, if i choose to go the Receiver route, such as the the Marantz SR-4021, will I be losing out on a lot of sound quality (versus sticking to an integrated amp)?"

Going the integrated route is usually the better route, but the difference might not be that obvious in a real word setting. If I were opting for a receiver, I would skip the SR4021, and opt for the Harman/Kardon HK3480 for $188 http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=HK %203480-Z&status=

Gold Member

Post Number: 1762
...or if you can push the budget a bit, the Outlaw RR2150 for $499 (refurb.) https://www.outlawaudio.com/mofcart/bstock.html might be well woth a look.

http://stereophile.com/integratedamps/306outlaw/

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 8
Thanks for the reco's, Chris, I will definitely look into the Oulaw 2150. I had previously looked into the Outlaw, but I've been a bit weary of buying anything online, site unseen (and unheard). A lot of people do seem to rave about this receiver, however, and it does seem to match my needs pretty well - would you recommend a B-stock 2150 over most other receivers at the $500 price point?

Thanks,

Eh-V

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9661
If I am going to drop 500 on a receiver without trying it first, I am calling Outlaw.
Check the hideout on their site.
It is reportedly sporting a very good phono section as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1768
"but I've been a bit weary of buying anything online, site unseen (and unheard)."

I can empathize, but that's the way the world's going. There are fewer & fewer "bricks & mortar" stereo shops, and in the case of Outlaw Audio, none. With the plethora of online reviews, it's not quite like playing Russian roulette though, but it isn't ideal.

I doubt you'd be disappointed with the RR2150, I've yet to read a bad review. And as for B-Stock, I'm biased (some say cheap), almost all of my gear (you can check my profile) is factory refurbished and I've yet to encounter a single problem with any of it, and that includes cosmetic issues, all of the B-Stock I own arrived to me "as-new" with warranties.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1769
...which brings me back to the HK3480/5.

It can be had for under $250 delivered, and should be easier to track down for a live demo.

It's a serious best buy.

I doubt that to all but the most critical listener, in all but the most ideal listening environment, would anyone be able to distinguish it from receivers costing 4-5X as much.

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 9
Hey guys, thanks for all your feedback in this thread - it's definitely appreciated! Good to hear about the positive opinions of the Outlaw, and duly noted on the value of factory refurbs. Indeed, I have not read one bad review of the 2150. At the very least, it looks boss with its art deco design. Truthfully, the phono input is not a big draw for me, as I don't have any records (though I may start to collect some in a few years). But $499 seems a great deal, and there is the 30-day trial period. I may go for it.

Chris, I will also look into the HK3480/5. At the HK's price point, a buddy of mine suggested I look into similarly priced Onkyo's (TX-8511) and Yamaha's (RX-497) over HK's, as he thought HK was stronger at HT than proper stereo. Any thoughts on this, or how the HK compares to the other two mentioned?

Finally, tying it all together, is there a considerable jump in sonic quality between a $250 Onkyo/Yamaha/HK and a $500 Outlaw?

Thanks,

Eh-V

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2407
Forget about the Onkyo and Yamaha stereo receivers. The HK will mop the floor with both of them. Its not even close.

The Outlaw should be considerably better than the HK. I haven't heard the Outlaw and am going by reviews and opinions here, but they're not priced similarly to make it a fair comparison.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1772
Considering your investment in the RS6s, it's probably wise to pair them with a "higher-end" receiver like the ($500) B-Stock RR2150 or ($430) NAD C720BEE, than a $250 HK3480/5 or Marantz SR4021.

But I reiterate, I'm not sure which is better.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 568
The Outlaw gear will more than likely sound very, very good with the RS6's. I own the 2200 and I really like the sound of it.

Right now I'm driving my RS6's with a pair of NAD C272's in mono configuration. It actually sounds darned good.

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 10
Thanks for the advice, Stu. Noted that the HK is better than the low-end Onkyo and Yamaha stuff. Also noted that it's an unfair comparison between the HK and the Outlaw.

I actually browsed the forums on the Outlaw site and apparently up here in Canada, taxes and shipping equate to $100 extra. It's probably still a great deal i'm sure, but it then gets put into the same pricepoint as the Pioneer Elite SX-AJ6 which I liked when it was paired with the Monitor RS6's at the demo. Anyone else have any thoughts on the pioneer? It's a fairly new product and there doesn't seem to be much info on it online (although Nick K's thoughts on it are well-noted).

On another note, the same dealer who was pitching me the NAD 314 for $300 now has a used NAD C740 for $400. This one seems a better fit for my needs - would you guys say it's the same issue as before, i.e. still too much money for too little receiver?

Thanks as always,

Eh-V

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9694
E, got out of centre hi-fi stuff.
Who is the dealer you are working with? The guys that used to be out off the Cote de Liesse near the airport? I had issues with those guys.

I still think the Outlaw is a good bet. If you think you might want vinyl in the future, make sure to address that right now.
Forget the Nad, IMHO.
Bowers will shine with better input than them.
I ain't bashing NAD, just not with B&W, that I have ever heard, the speakers sound muffled to me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1776
Eh-V

I'm pretty comfortable calling the guy trying to sell you the used NAD stuff a thief. The NAD C740 (which is an excellent receiver) is, at best, a $250 receiver. Note this recent auction which included an NAD T523 DVD player http://cgi.ebay.com/NAD-C740-Stereo-Receiver-Amplifier-523-CD-Player_W0QQitemZ23 0212360480QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3279QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem .

Pioneer does not have a tremendous reputation when it come to musically inclined receivers, their strength is in home theater, IMO.

Bronze Member

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 11
Hey Nuck, nope, it wasn't a sketchy "white van" type dealer near the airport - it was Son Ideal on de la Montagne in downtown Montreal. They appear to have a pretty solid reputation and have been in business for a while. That said, Chris, the potential thievery at that store is noted, LOL.

So I will hold off on NAD based on the aforementioned recommendations, that is unless i find a good deal on a C320/720BEE

The other amp I forgot to mention I had listened to a couple of weeks ago was the Cambridge audio 540A, paired with the Quad 12L speakers. The amp/ speakers combo sounded great, but i don't know if this would hold true when matched to a bigger speaker like the Monitors or B&W's i was trying out. I've read through the forums here and the general consensus seems to be that the Cambridge 540a is good for the money, but perhaps too laid back and not a lot of bass, or at least less so than NAD. There is also mention of the Rotel RX1050, which is supposed to do everything well, but be forward sounding, and can be had for around $600 used.....does the search ever end???

Gold Member

Post Number: 1778
It is possible to over think this stuff Eh-V.

Bronze Member

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 12
Yup, you're right, i could analyze all these options over and over, and still have more questions. Time to go out and listen to some equipment. thanks for all the advice and will let you all know what i end up with.

Best,

Eh-V
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us