Paradigm monitor 3 vs. mini-monitor

Hey all, after extensive speaker auditioning, I purchased a pair of Paradigm Monitor 3's. I am quite pleased with them. Originally I had planned to purchase the mini-monitors because of space restrictions, but decided to forego because the bass was more full on the 3's. Now that I have the 3's at home, they seem rather large for my room. My question is this: should I exchange these for the mini-monitors, and if I do, will the mini-monitors "break-in," and eventually have more punchy bass? It's so hard to tell when the auditioning room is so different from your own!! Also, can someone tell me how the mini-monitors stack up against Cambridge Soundworks' Newton Series m60? I listened to these as well and was quite impressed with the detail of their highs and the fullness of their bass. Any feedback would be helpful!! Thanks.

Hawk
Joshua:

Can you explain what you mean when you say that the Monitor 3s seem too large for your room? Are you talking of the physical size or is it that the bass is too prominent?

What I mean by "too big" is the physical size of them. The bass is great, albeit perhaps a little muddy, but I think that's because the speakers are brand new.

Hawk
I can't tell you what to do. Only you know your room and what is in the room that affects your decision. What I can tell you is that the Monitor 3s are only 2 inches taller and 1 inch wider than the Mini-Monitors, but those two inches may be the difference between being satisfied and not. I don't think you lose a lot by going down to the Mini-Monitors. Both are very fine speakers.

I have auditioned the Newton m60s (to the extent possible in a Soundworks store) and they are a nice speaker. I have never compared them directly with Paradigms, however. If you have a Soundworks store near you, try taking a pair home and see if you like the sound better than the Paradigms. Compare them directly with the Paradigms and return the speakers you don't like as well. The Newtons are more forward than the Paradigms, so they have a different sonic signature, but only you know which sound you prefer. It may take a home audition to find out.

josh
Hawk, thanks for your input. One further question--waht do you mean "more forward" in reference to the Newtons?

Anonymous
I have just purchaed a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitor V3's. After three days of breaking them in they still sound very muted and no punchy bass as advertised. I have them as mains with the titans i used up front moved to the rear. The titans still sound much much better. Is there an execeptionally long break-in period for these speakers?

Anonymous
"Forward" sounding as opposed to dull or muffled sounding. Forward is when a speaker projects the sound in a dynamic and aggressive way. These audiophile adjectives can be hard to discern. Do the zen thing, and go with your heart - what you like, coz that's what they are for.

Hifichoice.co.uk has good review section.

audioaslylum.com - you can chat with audio lovers and get info.

Hope this helps,

Dale Peters
To Anonymous who bought Mini Monitor v3's three days ago: I think something else must be wrong with your system or connections to rate the sound of your Titan's over the Monitor's. I listened to both of these speakers today in a sound room at a stereo shop and both of the others with me agreed that there is no comparison: the Monitor's are superior in every way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us