CD Format is dead?

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 551
Believe it or not, I don't even have a CD player - I store all of my music on a server (in as good of quality/format as I can manage) and stream it through a DAC to my system.

I've actually from time to time considered buying a GOOD CD player, but I'm wondering there's a new music medium on the horizon. I know AudioDVD and SACD were kinda consumer flops.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it would kinda suck to drop 1k on a good CDP, then see a new format become the standard.

I was reading this article which sorta got me to thinking:

http://www.medialoper.com/hot-topics/music/music-executive-declares-cd-is-dead-a nnounces-plans-to-save-the-cd/

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 164
That article is from October of 2006.

And EMI is going through some difficulties:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jan/12/robbiewilliams.emi?gusrc=rss&feed=me dia

These idiots at the record labels never get it.

They started this race to the bottom (of poor sound quality and crappy products), they keep shooting themselves in the foot....over....and over and over again.

Another to to mention is that there has been a very impressive surge by youth/teenagers/early 20's generations towards buying vinyl records and turntables. Especially over the last 2-3 years.

If the record labels had any brains, they would create an environment where analogue and digital both exist. And do them both in highest quality sound each respective format as to offer.

Putting out a high quality sounding product from both formats, would establish a high standard.

Even people not in this hobby like we are, would be accustomed to high quality sound; not a race to the bottome of the bad sound barrel, like it is with the severely compressed mp3 format.

But they're not that smart. They're just greedy.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5974
Back when folks on this forum were debating which fromat would win the war DVD-A or SACD I was the first on this forum to say neither will win and in the end neither will HD-DVD or BluRay. The future is and has been for years the media server...however I will always own at least one if not 2 high quality CD players and turntables...I love my collection and I love just holding the cases and covers...these formats will be here for our lifetimes + they just won't be the standard.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1035
I agree with Art and NMyTree. I am turning 26 in a few weeks, and am about to buy my first turntable. Rega P3-24. And I will always have a decent CD player. The DVD-A and SACD war is a lost cause, and I had thought the HD-DVD/Blu Ray one would had been too, until of late. Looks like Blu Ray is here to stay. Thanks god, because I was greedy and bought one. Either way...The record labels need to pull their sh!t together and start producing more quality sounding cd's, and start producing more LP's.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1742
I just upgraded my CD Player & have bought about 1/2 a dozen CDs in the 2-weeks.

...but I also owned a Commodore Amiga & a Sega Dreamcast.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5976
We thought SACD was beating DVD-A it was but to no avail and in the end it will be the same with BluRay. All of these formats will be around but they will be for enthusiasts only as everyone else will use a media server and in all honesty when using lossless formats and using good DAC's the media server will be the best sounding of the formats....I will definately have one (just as soon as Rega makes one...lol!)...get ready the future is here!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9611
Yep. A media server is coming to a system near you, and that is fine.
If it is full of lossless files, no issue there.
So long as it has a phono input, LOL.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1037
Yeah, when I get into a bigger place and have another Rack to fit stuff on, I will probably build myself a big fat media server. I get the parts at work for so cheap. I can build a computer for 200 dollars taxes in that a store like Best Buy would charge a Grand for. I will build the server in a bullet proof rack mounted case with 8 Terabyte Seagates in it. mmMMm 8000 gigs for Uncompressed audio and movies. Why didn't I just build that instead? Oh well, if Blu Ray doesn't fully take over, I could always sell it for 10 bucks.lol.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5980
And I'll buy it at your garage sale!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1039
LOL!!! I would love to find some vintage stuff at some Garage sales this summer. Hopefully nobody is selling Blu Ray players at them just yet.lol.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 552
Blu-ray at garage sales? Nah... HD-DVD players? Maybe.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2647
It's now looking like Blu-ray has won the war. Warner Bros have pulled out of HD-DVD and Paramount is about to do the same since they have a get-out clause which allows them to withdraw HD-DVD support if Warners pulls out. So it looks like it's over.

BluRay is coming down in price too, slowly but surely.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 553
I returned my HD-DVD player. I gambled and I lost ;-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1041
lol Many of us did David, when Blockbuster and Target went Blu-Ray thats when I pulled the trigger on the blu ray side. I got lucky. Since day one I thought Blu Ray was going to win just based on Company backing it had. Toshiba??lol Are you kidding me...bye bye HD DVD. Amazon.com have over 400 Blu Ray Titles now. Its spreading like a disease. Hopefully it sticks around, but if not at least by then I will have large enough collection to keep it.LOL.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 554
How do you like your Sony BD player?

I had a Sharp but brought it back.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1042
Good, it was the big dog in the Sony line. Really really slow to boot up with the first two gen of firmware. With the third installment it works great. Still slower load time than a typical DVD player, but worth the wait for that Blu Ray magic. Besides it gives me time to make my popcorn.lol. Sharp has a second gen unit coming out that is suppose to be much improved over their first. Look for Samsung's new one as well as I have read very very good things about it. If you want to go big, check out the new Sony(big dog) and the new Pioneer Elite.

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 37
The strange thing about the death of CD, and its historical similes, is that Rega have just released their best CD player to date. The last time they released something as its death was announced was the RB range of tonearms, just in time for the 'death' of vinyl.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9618
The rb300 arm is just fine with the vpi table, TYVM.

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 97
BlueRay vs HD
It ain't over 'til it's over.
It is STILL POSSIBLE for HD to stage a coup. Posssible, but not probable?
For example::
What if HT and Home use goes BlueRay and confusers end up w/HD?.....It might be easier to make a HD burner or the media is enough cheaper.
OR:
What about MicroShaft? The XBox360 supports HD, not BlueRay. I'm not sure about contractual tie-ups, but all the software for the XBox would need to come out in BlueRay, not to mention the 10s of thousands of HD drives now out for this toy. MicroShaft would suffer badly if they had to concede defeat to Sony on this issue.

Combo players are available and getting less expesive, too....last I heard you could get one for 700$us.

A media server is looking better and better with software delivered over phone lines or cable.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1043
Leo- I went with a MicroShaft 360 for gaming and the Sony Blu Ray for movies. I see that the Microshaft(I like that name) HD DVD player ADD ON is now down to like 100 bucks.lol. I can honestly see Microsoft bring out 200 dollar blu ray add on's in another few years. Maybe. Who knows. I wouldn't think Microripoff are too concerned about losing the DVD war. Owning 90 percent of the world and all. The WH@RES.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 555
Don't hold back, Nick. LOL.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1045

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 557
What do you guys think of the NAD CD players. If I was gonna get one (and it's a big if - a lot of work changing those CDs...), my dealer sells mostly NAD CDP. Any good?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5990
David NAD's are decent cd players. They don't do anything particularly offensive however they don't do too much to impress either. Once you get to the C542 level your money may be better spent (not sure which one you are looking at). I used to own a C542, decent but a bit grainy and lacks musical drive. At that price I would check the used market for something else..say a Rega Jupiter.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 558
Thanks Art.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1744
Consider the NAD 525BEE http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/nad_c525bee.htm if you're on a budget, if the budget allows for something a bit more extravagant, then the NAD Master Series M5 http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Reviews/Real_Hi_Fi/J7N7M2F6 would be on my short list.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1046
David- Art is right, great cd players for the money but once you hit the C542, save the pennies for a few more paychecks and go up to a used Rega. The NAD cd players, like everything NAD does, is a sound that u either love or hate. The NAD cd players sound good, but are flat, and slightly grainy as Art stated. I don't mean Flat as a bad thing, thats just what they sound like. LIke I said, you either like it or you don't. The Rega's have a much more detailed high end, and better PrAT than the NAD's. The NAD classic series I think have more bottom end though. To each their own. If you take 10 people listening to a C542 and a Rega cd player, I would say 8 of the 10 would pick the Rega. Now when you get up to the Masters series line its a different ball game. Again though, u either love it or hate it. The sound is still flat, which is what NAD tries to do, but much better soundstage and the grit is gone. More comparable to the Rega stuff. Which one you prefer is up to your ears.

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 190
David, if I were you, I'd look into upgrading your DAC instead. I think your already on the right path with the lossless files.

The Bel Canto DAC 2 blew me away, when I had borrowed it from a friend for a weekend. We had it playing lossless from a laptop and seperate hardrive. It was better in every way than any cd player I've ever tried in my system (MF, Rotel, Technics, Fisher...I know, not all quality, but stil...) He got it used off Canuck Audio Mart for $600cnd.

Just a thought.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1747
I think the NAD M5 is much better than it's been portrayed in this thread.

I suggest you give it a listen to decide for yourself.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1047
I really liked the M5. It was a wee bit out of my price range.

Marc's DAC idea is a great one as well.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5996
The M5 is a fine player however again once you get past the 525BEE NAD has a hard time being competetive. And ofcourse that's just my opinion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9625
The M5 went head to head with the Rega Saturn for MikeW and I. The M5 is a very good player, the Saturn just better, especially after 1 hr of playing.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 559
Just out of curiosity, what would be the going rate for a used Rega Saturn?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9626
Are there used Saturns out there?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5999
Keep watching Agon David, they show up occasionally...not much in the way of a break on them especially since it just went up in price. The Rega Jupiter can be had for a very good price and it's a heck of a player. Just a thought.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1049
I see the M5 is 1799.99 Cdn now. How much is the Saturn, isnt it like 2500? Just curious. I have read on a few review sites that some people actually prefer the sound of the Apollo over the Saturn. I wonder why that is though. ? Just wondering.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1050
I would have no doubt in my mind that a Saturn would hot smash the M5.lol. I would love to hear a Saturn. I would think an M5/Apollo comparison would be a more fair one perhaps. Not sure.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1045
Nick,

Apollo is a bit different in presentation than the Saturn. It has been covered in other threads. There are some recordings which sound better on the Saturn and the Apollo has better synergy with some systems. Overall the Saturn will be the best option the majority of the time. I owned an Apollo and now own a Saturn. The M5 is closer to the Saturn than it is to the Apollo IMO.

I listened to all 3 and now have a Saturn FWIW. I also listen louder than most and my primary genre is classic rock, though my collection is very broad and I really do listen to a wide variety of music. The Saturn fits my "profile" better than any other player. LOL.

In fact Division Bell by Pink Floyd is entertaining me on the Saturn right now.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1046
Some discussion above is along the lines that the media servers are coming and will be the "standard" and will be the best format.

Maybe I am missing something here but going on the basis of live music, generally the musicians are in front of me and provide anywhere from a poor to an exhilaratingly sound. But when I listen to live music I do not have stuff coming at me from all sides, it is generally two dimensional with a variety of depth and echo depending on the venue.

So I guess the idea of multi-channel audio for music is lost on me. I never sat in the middle of a band or orchestra to where I would expect to hear the music coming from over either of my shoulders.

As to media servers being the best sounding of the formats, either I mis-read something or need you guys to help me out and get me up to speed on this.

I would have to think that a media server would be digital. How is that format better than any other format?

I prefer vinyl over CD 99.9% of the time as a preferred format, so I have to ask, how will a media server outperform an LP?

How is a lossless file on a hard drive any better than a Redbook CD recording or a vinyl recording?

What loss are the CD or vinyl experiencing that a media server overcomes?

See, I really do not get it, so your enlightenment is truly appreciated.

Until then, vinyl is MY standard, and I will alternately enjoy my CDs. When lazy or looking for something new I will rely on my tuner, warts and limitations notwithstanding.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6001
Forgive my mistake Michael...I meant best sounding digital format as vinyl will be my standard as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1051
LOL I agree with you Michael. Media servers will be here just for easy access to a lot of music, and could easily be setup to sound better than a cd player. But, nothing will ever beat LP IMO.

I must ask, I am fairly new here, and never knew you had tested all three of those cd players Michael. Is there a thread somewhere that I can read on the differences you found? Did the Apollo in any way sound better than the M5 at any time? Or did the M5, to you, win majority of the time. What characteristics to each bring to the table. I would think both would sound totally different, so I am just curious.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9628
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/351996.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 9629
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/351984.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 1052
Thanks Nuck, I was just about to search for that. Saved me the effort good man.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9634
ya mon

Gold Member

Post Number: 1053
Good read for sure.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9635
Some extra stuff in the adventure one, but if you got time to kill...

Silver Member

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 191
First off...Vinyl RULES!

Now that that's out of the way, I think there are 2 "audio" advantages with lossless files over redbook CD.

First advantage is that you can remove jitter from the equation. There's no disc spinning at however many revolutions per second, while being tracked by a "freakin laser beam"(Sorry, had to quote Dr. Evil on this one). There's good copying software that will read the disc multiple times and correct most, if not all reading errors prior to making the copy.

Second, I think the money you would spend on a CD player for the transport, DAC and whatever else, could go much further if all that money went into a DAC only.

That's just my thought process, but some may think a little differently.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6002
Always keep in mind when reading equipment comparisons...if you know ofcourse...what kind of music the reviewer or listener listens to a majority of the time and what characteristics, agian if you know, that the reviewer or listener value in a system. I think that Mike and Nuck probably represent a majority here in their listening preferences and also probably what they value in a system.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1054
Very True Art. I was thinking...out of all the preferences each person has in what they want to hear in their system, I wonder if Age could make a big difference. I don't know if Im making sense. But experience is big of course, and that comes with age? How we listen I think would change depending on age, and the way we all want out systems to sound. I am just babbling. I don't mean to refer to someone being older than anybody. But just based on how each person listens to music, Im sure would differ depending on how old they are? Am I making sense here? Frig im tired. Long night. Either way, based on my experiences with cd players, I would have probably picked the Saturn over the M5 as well. I sure do love my Apollo.

Silver Member

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 192
Oh, BTW, the Bel Canto talk above was not meant as a recommendation for that product in particular. There are plenty to choose from. Opinions will vary.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1048
Nick, A friend of mine in Chicago owned his own audiphile store for about 40 years. He also made 4 channel tapes as far back as the late 50s. He would go to clubs in Chicago and record the likes of Stan Getz. He and I still talk on occasion. He is in his late eighties but is very sharp.

He theorizes that the music you listen to in your late teens will be what you find most satisfying throughout your life. Genre does not matter, it is what your brain gets accustomed to during that period of your development according to him.

I have not tested his theory but I suspect he is right.

That is a long way of me saying, that yes, age does play a factor not in "how you listen", but what you listen to. I think age has some factor in that I first heard vinyl on tubes before long before I heard anything else but radio (on tubes also).

However I think demographics, family tree, economics all play into "How you listen". It would make for a nice thesis for someone's PHD.

BTW I did not think everybody forgot about vinyl.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1058
Good point Mike, and well said. We will never see Vinyl vanish, just like we will never see CD's vanish either. Thats is just fine by me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1748
...or 8-Tracks...

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2395
Marc,

My understanding of jitter isn't as I think you're describing it.

Jitter doesn't have to do with the transport reading the 1's and 0's, it has to do with the timing of them entering the DAC.

While a computer may read them several times and may actually get them all right in a recording process, the srtaem of them to a DAC may not be perfect. I read somewhere that fluctuations in voltage (even miniscule ones) can cause timing errors in the data stream to the DAC. These timing errors are jitter.

But then again, there is arguement that jitter is so low in new equipment that its inaudible. There's always two side to an arguement.

Maybe I'm way off.

I too think servers will take over as the next format. But, CD won't go away. What will everyone back their files up on? If you've got 500 albums on a hard drive and it crashes, then what? People with that kind of money invested in their collections will most likely want to back up the files to a bullet proof medium.

What's making the server based system very interesting IMO is that audiophile companies are starting to take it very seriously. Bryston is offering DACs in their pre-amps and integrateds. The DACs they incorporate sound phenominal. Naim also offers an integrated amp with a DAC - the SuperNait. MOre and more companies will follow suit in the next few years IMO.

On a similar subject, yet off track a little...

A few poeple at work were debating what the next everyday thing we use and take for granted will be obsolete. Some said cash, some said keys.

My opinion - Books. Much like music, I think they'll be become downloadable to computers and portable devices like PDAs. Instead of selling textbooks to students, they'll probably sell them on CD or have them downloaded to a computer.

But I don't think books will completely disappear, much the same way as vinyl LPs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1749
Maybe prices need to come down a bit more, but a solid state medium like an SD Card or USB Jump Drive would seem to be the logical choice for future lossless hard-copies.

A card reader/USB port interface eliminates the read process.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2399
If the Jump Drive or SD Card that has about 500 albums on it gets lost or damaged, then what?

Even if it was possible and cost efficient, I wouldn't put all my music on one. Its a lot harder to lose or damage 500 CDs than it is to lose or damage one Drive or Card. Maybe I'm a little Old School.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1750
Maybe I didn't state that right, I meant maybe the SD Card/USB Jump Drive replacing the CD is the next step in a retail music medium, not that a SD Card/USB Jump Drive should be used for archiving.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1751
...but a 512MB SD Card/USB Jump Drive still cost a few bucks whereas a CD only cost a few pennies.

Silver Member

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 193
Thanks Stu. I think I may have misused the word "jitter". What I was trying to say, but do not know the correct terminology, was that lossless files will display "1" and "0" more correctly than any CD player can read them at any price (tis what me thinks).

As for backup of a CD collection, I don't see that as a problem. I know for myself, I'll still have the CD collection even though they will all have been copied to lossless format and store on a seperate hardrive. For anyone not wanting to hold on to their CDs, they simply could backup their music files on a second hardrive. Hardrive space is cheap, and always getting cheaper.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1059
All my music files are backed up onto my server space at work, transferring them just by accessing it through the local network. I then also have them backed up on my hard drive here. As well as an external Hard Drive. If one fails, hopefully the other two will save my butt. Storage, I don't see a problem with. Does that mean it will replace CD's? I don't think so. Not totally anyway. People will always have the choice. If your old enough to be posting on this forum, then you'll never see the cd die in your lifetime.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1752
...but it would easier & faster to simply plug in a SD Card and skip the whole $1000+ CD player thing.

Silver Member

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 196
I'm not sure if the CD is here to stay. Maybe, maybe not. I suppose, they'll never truly go away, my mom still "tapes" stuff.

I'm just of the mind that there is a better digital format available to us today.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1061
Your both right. Dont get me wrong, I already had a music server in my old place, and when I moved here for my job, I sold it because I no longer have the room in my setup now, and already had 3 computers. Mark my word, I will build another one. It takes me roughly 20 minutes to put one together.lol. Im going to be the guy with a cd player, blu ray player/dvd player, record player and the music server...crazy?maybe. But I'll have all the formats from before I was born until I am dead.lol. Minus tape and 8 track. Yuck...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1754
Leave it to The Stones: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/09/28/BUG BSEV0U31.DTL&type=business

Gold Member

Post Number: 1755
http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-SanDisk-Gruvi-Micro-SD-Card-Rolling-Stones-Bang-CD_W0QQi temZ190161432752QQihZ009QQcategoryZ118260QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m 118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Post Number: 1756
http://www.stereophile.com/news/100305gruvi/

Gold Member

Post Number: 9636
MP3's as heard on a cellphone with cheap earbuds from a teensie weensie card that I cannot make a copy of.

STOP THE BUS I WANT OFF!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1757
Yeah, the "no copy" business was never going to fly, but they are cute little buggers ain't they?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1065
They are...can't say the same for the rolling stones though. Are they still alive? kidding.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2400
I saw that Rollings Stones memory card "album" about 2 years ago in Best Buy. Haven't seen it since. Then again, I haven't looked for it or any others.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9645
Nick, the collective Stones have spawned more 'cute little buggars' than all of us combined!

Presumably by choosing the hottest women on the planet and counting on her 'Jeans'.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1074
lol Nuck, must have been the women. Cause the guys of Rolling Stones look like bags of Smashed A$$holes. Good point on the Jeans though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1763
Upload

Elizabeth Jagger & Theodora Richards

Silver Member

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 197
yep.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1078
The one in the dark hair looks like something that just crawled out of a cave.lol. The blonde would do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1767
I got the names mixed up, the blonde is Keith's daughter (pretty obvious if you look), the brunette is Sir Mick's.

Silver Member

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 198
I like em both.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 105
My neice had a Verizon Phone for which you need the V-Cast software and XP (not even Mac stuf) so you could run the windows media player v10.
No, they wouldn't give me XP.....
Can't copy off the phone either. Once music is on your confuser, it will ONLY go to the phone. Break the phone (as it happened) and you are SOL, needing to get permission from your Doctor to get another copy of music YOU ALREADY PAID FOR>...

The babes are too scrawny and doubtless self induldgent/hi-maint.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us