My 1st turntable...

Username: Dpenn

Post Number: 1
I hate to repeat a question that's been asked a million times, but I need some advice on my first turntable.

I have almost nothing with regard to equipment. I'll initally be looking to buy an upgradeable turntable, a phono preamp, and a speedbox (from the advice that I've read).

I'll be using a denon receiver with gallo satellites & sub...which I would love to upgrade in the future, but one thing at a time.

I mostly listen to R&B and pop/rock (don't hold that against me please).

I've basically been comparing Pro-ject's Debut III and Xpression III. They both seem to have $50 cartridges installed (OM 5E and AT 95E). The latter has a $100 acrylic platter. Why is the xpression $300 more? (I'm quoting CDN dollars)

The preamp & speed box total $320, however, you can get a Debut III with both built in for $150 more. Are there benefits to having the boxes separate from the tt?

Lastly, on an aesthetic level (shallow, I realize), the glossy finish on some of the pro-ject models appeals more to me than the matt...which remind me of Ikea furniture. Do the matt finishes hold up to typical wear & tear?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5972
The Xpression has a better arm, plinth and platter. It's just a better rig all around. The Debut is a fine entry level table but with the right cartridge (for future upgrade) the Xpression can get you close to high end performance. Excellent rig.

Username: Dpenn

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 2
Thanks Art! I appreciate the feedback.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us