Integrated to pair with Rega R3s

Username: Delvxe

Post Number: 1
Hello all,

I am looking for a couple of integrated amp recommendations for my recently acquired Rega R3s. I am considering the NAD 325BEE or C352. I considered the Brio but the lack of a remote killed it for me and the Mira is out of my price range. I expect to look for something used in the 300-400ish range. Any thoughts on the above pairings or other recommendations.

I am in Seattle and have access to some good hifi shops, but only one has the Rega equipment.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9597
ooh, Terry, wait for Art!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5965
Rega Brio!!!

No really if you can swing it the Rega integrateds are so much better a match for your R3's.

I'm a huge Rega speaker fan and actuallly have a full Rega system. The R3's may be the best balanced speaker in their line.

Remote or no remote the Brio is the right amp. Buy an NAD and you get a remote...but you won't get the best amp for your speakers.....period.

Seattle...Hawthorne right...cut a deal for the Brio and get off the chair. Trust me you'll get to know what volume to usually set it on.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2387
I'm with Art here.

Also, NAD won't pair up very well with Rega speakers IMO and you won't get any of that Rega magic.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2639
Poor Terry! Art and Stu on the attack! :-)

Well, either of the NADs should be a reasonable combination with the R3 since it's not that difficult to drive, but as has been said here, you obviously don't get the drive of the Rega amps.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5968
Sorry...I'm a PRaT!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1034
Terry, like everyone already stated, the Brio should be a better match with the R3's. Only you can tell us what you like better. Buy the NAD and Brio and bring them home for a week, return the one you don't like. Is this not possible? Are you buying them from different stores?

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 36
Sorry fella, but when you hear he combinations, I think you'll find that the lack of a remote does not really matter. Lacking the synergy between the Brio and the R'3s will. How many times in a listening session do you a need a remote for the amp.
Half the time I am not to sure where my remote is anyway.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9604
I enjoy stumbling for the loud knob, just to hear the difference in the room sometimes.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5970
Where is the OP?

Username: Delvxe

Post Number: 2
I'm still here. Just waiting for someone to say it is okay to get the NAD. From the looks of it I will be waiting a long time. Seems like there is consensus here regarding synergy among the Rega components.

Yes, I know I shouldn't let the remote thing sway me, but I will not only run music through the amp, but it will also be part of a media server. As everyone has pointed out, I don't really need it for listening to music (I am with you there) but with movies etc, I really need a remote. I suppose for non-critical listening I could use the remote for the server, no?

Art, yes Hawthorne has the Regas and they are good to deal with. Tune downtown also carries Rega. A new Brio is a bit out of my range new, so I will keep my eyes out for something used.

Thanks for the feedback. I had reluctantly written off the Brio, but will really try to make it work.

Here is a question for the group. I have been a little reluctant to take up too much time at the hifi shops knowing that I will be buying used. How would you suggest I auditioning components?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2394
A good thing about used components is that if you buy them for the right price and you don't like them, you can usually sell them for what you paid.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5973
I see used Mira's from time to time on Audiogon Terry...don't be afraid to negotiate. It's worth a try!

As for your last question, to me it's buy used local where you can audition or buy on faith. I applaud you for not wasting a salesperson's time for a non sale.

I have to tell you I like the guys at Hawthorne when they look hungry for a sale, but it seems that as soon as you tell them you're not buying today they lose interest...just my observation, YMMV.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9613
Bigger shops have a good stock of pre-loved units, and they are much easier to take home for a run.
I bought my big kit that way, my dealer ler me have it for a very long time. We have a very good relationship.

There is the dealer relationship thing again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us