How To Properly Configure My Receiver?

Bronze Member
Username: Billru44

Post Number: 33
Hey!

I have a JVC RX-8040B receiver:
http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?archive=true&pathId=5&modelId=MODL02 7235

And, I'm in the process of playing with the surround modes and am having severe problems. Can anyone help with the config?

I have ONLY front left / right speakers. Currently, I have a fiber optical cable from my HDTV to the receiver and am tuning into OTA HDTV broadcasts. I have the receiver configured in 2.0 speaker setup.

Now, when I'm watching a program, the "Dolby" signal lights up on the receiver and when I click the "Return Surround" button on the remote, the receiver says "Dolby D". Then, there is a significant volume drop. Any ideas why? Is this because I only have 2 speakers? Or maybe the program really isn't coming in Dolby Digital? I hooked up an old speaker as a center, and this really didn't help with the volume.

Any help is appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1734
Bill, you only have two speakers, you cannot have real surround, but your receiver has a mode called:

"3D-PHONIC Virtual Surround Sound" that "creates dramatic home theater sound with just two front speakers"

It isn't real surround but might add something to movies or sports.

Also, your receiver has

"Quick speaker setup: The user can easily setup their system simply by inputting the number of speakers and the room size, then the receiver will do the rest."

I suggest you use this before you try anything else.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Yes, I have it configured this to 2.0 configuration and it just seems like it sounds like crap compared to when i just play it in stereo mode.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Is this normal?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1736
Bill, I really don't know what "normal" is for your receiver. It doesn't surprise me that it sounds better in pure stereo, and I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 2.0.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1737
By 2.0 I take it your receiver is set to 2-channel?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Yes, 2 channel
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us