Monitor Audio RS6

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 527
Just pulled the trigger on a pair of Monitor Audio RS6's. Figured while I was at the shop I may as well throw in a matching center channel ;-)

Now all I have do is wait for my order to come in (I chose the Rosenut finish which was out of stock). Argh, I hate waiting.

Anyway, these are to replace my Paradigm Monitor 7's and CC-370. I'll post my thoughts here when I get them. Stay tuned.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5920
Very good David...you'll really enjoy your new MA's.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 528
Thanks Art. I thought it was a worthy investment.

Hoping this will assuage my "upgradeitis" for awhile.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 999
Nice David, they will spank your monitor 7's. I hear those speakers every time I go to my dealers, they are quite a treat. They seem to push through anything.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1056
What is with the new Monitor 7 getting great reviews from mags?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/speaker-reviews/paradigm-monitor-7-and-ultracube-10-review/

and I quote....

"The Paradigm Monitor 7 speakers have the look and sound that would have you think they cost several thousands of dollars..."

If I bought a pair of $1000 plus speakers that sounded like these did, I think I would be pretty p!ssed at myself.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 529
Awesome Nick. One thing I notice is that they seem to be a fair bit smaller than my Paradigms. Can't wait to hear them in my living room.

Silver Member

Post Number: 1000
Gavin- THe monitor 7's are pretty good for the money. But no MA6's though. Not even close. David- I hope the Pioneer will be a good match for them. I have heard them on Bryston, NAD, Pioneer Elite, and must say, I liked the Pioneer the least with the MA's. Let us know how yours sound though. It was not the same model you have.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1001
I am also curious to see which you prefer out of the NAD and Outlaw amps on these speakers. Totally different ball game then the Paradigms. Keep us posted.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 530
That's a good point Nick. I'm going to wait until I get the MA's and run them through my NAD's and re-evaluate whether or not I want to sell the NAD's. I'm wondering now if the sound I don't like with my set-up is the Monitor 7's.

Regardless, the NAD's should be enough clean power for the MA's. I'm running the 272's in bridged mode and have each one driving a speaker.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1002
Oh yeah, actually at the moment my Dealer has two C272's bridged on the RS6's these days, and it sounds great to my ears. I think he is just using the NAD 162 pre amp.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 531
Great! I know the Pioneer receiver the weak link in my kit now.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1710
Those RS6s are fantastic, and surprisingly small.

The smillarly smallish RS8 are one of the best 2-3 real-world floorstanders I've ever heard.

Congratulations!

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 532
Thanks Christopher!

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 533
Anyone have comments on the matching center? I bought this too:

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/product.php?range=2&product=6

I assume it will kick the crap out of my cc-370...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1711
I don't know about the CC-370, but I'll tell you the RSLCR compared to the petite RS6 is rather substantial. I saw it, but I did not hear it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1003
David, you will be surprised on how well the cc370 will stack up to the MA Center channel. The MA company is not known for their center channel speakers. Put it this way though, it will sound at LEAST as good as the cc370, and its needed for proper timbre match. I have the cc370 V4, and have auditioned it beside that MA when I bought it, its a close call, both sound different obviously. I also auditioned the monitor series V4(better than the V5) side by side against the RS6's, and the RS6's take the cake any day. I were in your shoes, and had just purchased the RS6's, I too, would have bought the matching center. Smart choice.Cheers.

P.S. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the RS6's?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 534
Don't mind at all...

I did a trade in on the Monitor 7's and CC-370. They gave me $700 for the set. I originally paid $700 for the Monitor 7's and $240 for the CC-370 a year and a half ago. So it only cost me 240 to own the set for 18 months. Not bad I think.

With the trade in, I got the RS6's and center for $1447.00 (taxes in). A little more than I wanted to spend, but c'est la vie.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1712
David,

I owned a MA Radius 5.1 set-up and the R180 center channel was the weak link in the system, however, the Silver RSLRC is a entirely different beast altogether and is, I am certain, up to the task. Please report back once all is up & running.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 535
I will for sure!

Bronze Member
Username: Jeff_mx

Utah, Utah America

Post Number: 11
David,

Looks like were enjoying the rs6's, What music have you been listening to with your 6's?

Bronze Member

Utah, Utah America

Post Number: 12
or listned to before you pulled the trigger?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 536
I had 2 separate listening sessions with them at my dealer. The first session we listened to the usual source material (Diana Krall, Michael Buble). He also threw in a Britney Spears CD (I know, I know... my wife listens to that sh!t) just to show how they handle pop music. The second time we demoed them in surround mode, watched a few clips from some movies and listened to some live music. All this was through the flagship Yamaha reveiver, whatever the model is.

It sounded damned good anyway.

Bronze Member

Utah, Utah America

Post Number: 14
David,

Let me know what you think When you start listening to music using your pioneer amp. The 6's sound great on My Marantz.

Silver Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 216
Just wondering guys I was looking for another bookshelf, are the Monitor Audio S2 any good i see them on closeout at saturday audio exchange? or is the newer model the RS1 the one to get. I was seriously thinking of going with the triangle comete es, or the epos 12.2 since i can find a nice used pair of the dyna 52's. Do the monitor audio's speakers have a nice lower end for a bookshelf?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1022
The MA S2's are very nice Chico.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1731
...But not as nice as the RS1, IMHO. The quality of the RS1 is, by a good measure, better than the older silver series.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 544
OK, here's another Monitor Audio related question.

Since I now have RS6 fronts and the LCR, I want to upgrade my surrounds eventually.

Do you guys recommend the RS1 or the RSFX?

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 217
Another question a dealer has pair of demo dyna52's would you guy's say they have more oomph than the MAS2? i cant compare them since i'm outside the US. But before i pull the trigger just wondering why your opinions are the will cost nearly $200 more but I think they are worth it.
Here is another question well the dyna's sound ok with a Nad c352 or MH maven(used) later i'll add a parasound A23 or 2125

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9603
The 52's are always a good bet, Chico. The MA's are easier to drive, though.

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 218
thanks nuck, nad and dyna a good match? which would have a better bass quality and output the S2 or the 52?

Bronze Member
Username: Teacherrob9

Post Number: 13
can Monitor audio's work in a room like this?Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 688
My layout is very similar to yours... kinda an open living room, and the room is about the same size. The only difference is that I have carpeting. The bare hardwood floors may create a lot of echo and brightness. But yes, the RS6s would be stellar.

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 239
Well I've ordered the RS6 they should be here next week cant wait to hear them. For the time being i'll enjoy them with my ca640a. But i'll be on the look out for a nice 2channel external since i'm sure even though the Ca should do a good job driving them the more juice the better. Plus my other speakers are opera's and they arent 2 effiecient. But i will let you guys know how they should

Gold Member

Post Number: 1482
Hey Chico, great purchase. For the money they hard to beat. I just purchased a pair of them myself and the Bryston setup is absolutely loving them. Music to my ears, and should be that way for years to come. Enjoy, let us know how they mix with the CA stuff.Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 322
Wow, Rob that floor looks beautiful. Hey Nick, did you demo the monitor golds as well? Never heard monitors, there is a dealer in the city who sells them, have to stop by to hear them. They have some of the gold monitors (towers) at half price but only in gloss silver, ugh. Still taken by their platinum series but the book shelfs are 3500 or so, yikes!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6822
Should be interesting...looking forward to a report...congrats on an excellent purchase Chico.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1483
ID- I got to hear the GS20's I think the model number was. It was the entry Tower of the Gold series. Very very very nice speaker. But a little pricey for me, and the RS6's IMO should be all most people need for musical enjoyment. The Platinum series from what my dealer claims are a benchmark speaker, absolutely breath taking. But for that price, they better be.lol. I think the towers are around 10-12 grand?Yikes indeed. Then again, thats the price your going to pay for certain B&W models and even close with say the Paradigm Signature S8's. This all being in CDN speaker prices.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 897
I've heard the MA Platinums driven by a Bryston 4B at my dealer's. Aboslutely stunning....

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 240
Ouch they better sound good for that price. But they are in good company.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 899
I think the Platinum towers I heard were around 12k. Just crazy...

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 241
Well guys i finally got them unpacked and listened to to them with my CA640a. Right outta the box those RS6 sounded lovely....To say the least. Initial observations..." they are really nice small floorstanders. Actually i should have bought a pair sooner. They even take up less space than my paradigm mini's on stands. Far more sturdier too. Rear and front ports are wonderful since when i plugged the rear ports i did not readily notice immense dimishment of bass quality or quantity just a little. The sound on the mixture of tracks I listen to is a little less forward. But not fatiguing at all. I'm still wondering if I should have went a step up to the RS8? When I cranked the volume up on the Cammy I started to hear some of the unplesantries or well distortion. Also from the few tracks I listen to this is not a speaker for alternative. Its a nice speaker but for that genre something is missing. The bass was nice tight engaging. The highs and mids were nice not smooth like my operas but not harsh like my past pair of klipsch rf25's. I really have to listen to some of my jazz tracks like diana krall stan getz and some classical. One minor gripe those grills feel like crap. For sure a beautifully crafted speaker........well i guess you had to save some money somewhere? If I dont feel so lazy i'll have to hook up both my other bookshelves before i send them to their new homes. The opera's though might just stick around a little longer. I did a litttle a/b with the monitor and for well besides causing the poor cambridge to run alittle well quite warmer then usual no clipping though. they were well quite impressive for there size I was not ever aware the Opera mezza were less more efficient then the RS6 just that they were around roughly 6ohms. Anyway I'm on the lookout maybe in a few months for nice 2channel amp and a simple tuner maybe i'll go with matching CA tuner just for aesthetics sake, and the Parasound 2150 or A23 should be in my price range I think the MA will sound alittle nice with better cleaner juice flowing through its veins........I really have some more listening to do to really enjoy these speakers.

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 242
Wow thats kinda long sorry for blabbing so much..............

Bronze Member
Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 84
Chico, make sure to give the rs6's plenty of time to break in. I have them with a 640A also, and at first I had a few "not-quite-perfect" thoughts myself. But now, several months later, all doubt has been erased. They really need a lot of hours of playing to achieve their full potential. So have some patience, and happy listening...

By the way, I started the rs6's out with a 640A v1, and it overheated and clipped when I really pushed it, and sound stage was a bit lacking. I switched to a 640A v2, and it made all the difference. No complaints now, and it has never clipped. Which version do you have?

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 243
Actually i'm using the V2 640 I find its running really warm......

Bronze Member
Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 91
Yeah mine runs warm too, but has never clipped or overheated. But it does seem like it would be nice to have a little more oomph. I am often turning the volume knob past 12 o'clock...maybe a 740A will be called for in the future...?

Silver Member

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 244
personally if i do upgrade i'll prob go the seperates route, as opposed to getting another int amp. not so much about the quality since I thinks some of these int amps are quite good but in the long run it will allow for greater flexibility
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us