Music and Computers

Username: Scotsys

Newhebron , MS USA

Post Number: 5
I've built up a pretty good library of computer downloaded music and as I was trying to figure out the best way to mate my XM Radio to my new RR2150 and new Infinity Beta 50 towers I thought, "Hey! I've got an ancient XP Pavillion 533C sitting in purgatory that's been gathering dust since my last upgrade and since this RR2150 has a USB port why should I be spending money on pricey CD players and buying CD's when I may have the best music source right under my nose?" Or do I?

I have looked around in the forum and I haven't found any discussions on using computers as an input to power amps and what kind of results to expect. Could it be I just don't know where to look? Or maybe it's because it doesn't produce the kind of results a wannabee audiophile like me wants to rise too. Questions I would like answers to are:

1. Is it practical to use a computer as a source for audio?
2. Do you need a soundcard or other hardware or is the USB port on the RR2150 the best way to go?
3. Does the CD player that comes with computers adequate to play my existing CD's or do you need to buy a better one?
4. Do you need any special software or is Windows Media Player adequate?
5. Is the cost of music from downloads cheaper, equal to, or more expensive that buying CD's at a retail store?
6. Is there a place to legally buy quality CD audio without getting ripped off? Buy just what you want, skipping over 80% of the stuff they put on CD's to fill up an album of junk you don't want?
7. How does the sound quality compare to commercially manufactured CD's?

Surely, there must be many who know a lot about this. I would like to know more.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 505
Hi Bill, I use my PC as my main audio source. Here are some answers to your questions:

1) Yes
2) I use an external USB DAC to connect my computer to my receiver (by-passing the soundcard)
3) I don't use my CD player - I rip all my CDs to FLAC format.
4) I stay away from WMP. Try Foobar2000 or Winamp.

The DAC that I like is this one:

http://www.obadimports.com/catalog/item/4377355/5226912.htm

In fact, I have 2 of them. I've heard good things about these as well:

http://www.obadimports.com/catalog/item/4377355/4344734.htm

Username: Scotsys

Newhebron , MS USA

Post Number: 6
Thanks David - I have a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Roadie that connects via USB and has an output for a headset. I was successful in feeding this signal into a cheap amp/speaker purchased from Radio Shack. I was planning on trying that. I think it will work but I don't know how much success I will have with the results.

I imagine the Roadie is a DAC but I went ahead and ordered the SUPER Pro DAC 707 USB. Thanks David. I want to get the best possible sound I can get with the equipment I purchased. I'm glad I found this forum. It sure helps a novice get started.
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Killamabilla

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 31
David,

do you think one of those $109 external DACs would be a significant improvement in SQ for a cheap mass market DVD player's DAC?

Just wondering what the diff is between that and one of these $500 audiophile DACs...

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 506
I have no idea how it would compare to a $500 audiophile DAC, but I can tell you it made a HUGE difference over using my soundcard.

I imagine that it would be an improvement over the cheap DAC in a mass-market DVD player (provided the el-cheapo player has a coaxial or optical out), but I do know the quality of the transport (in this case the DVD player) makes a big difference in SQ.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us