Which receiver?

Username: Bluemando

Post Number: 8
I have narrowed down my 2-way receiver search
to these two:

Harmon Kardon 3485 2 x 120W
Marantz SR4320 80W X 2ch

I'll be listening to music with KEF Q-15 bookshelf speakers or possibly with a set of Infinity Primus 150's. I'm waiting for one Infinity speaker to arrive, as I presently have only one at this time. (See my other post for the story). Basically, as a music major who played violin in a college orchestra, I appreciate a rich and warm-sounding string section. I know that's pretty subjective, but I figure I'd say it anyway ;)

Thanks
johern

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1674
You could also consider the 80W HK3380 for $148 which is more comparable to the SR4320.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=HK %203380-Z&status=

Between the two, I'd take the H/K. The HK3380 is a more impressively built receiver. I owned the SR4320 for a short while and was not impressed; it was light-weight & plasticy looking, and was rather flat sounding & uninvolving. At a higher price-point, Marantz outperforms H/K in 2-Ch, IMHO, but not in this case.

The HK3485 is excellent & an absolute bargain, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with how it sounds with KEFs. It also will afford you some greater headroom with the 6ohm KEFs, and the ability to grow into different, perhaps harder to drive, speakers at some future point.

Beware, the H/Ks have one of the worst remotes I've ever seen in my life. Total crap & incompatible with every universal remote I've tried.

Mind if I ask what your budget is?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1675
Also, the HK3380/HK3480 have some neat Surround Sound modes for the occasional movie, the newer HK3385/HK3485 do not, which might not be a bad thing, since that might provide slightly cleaner signal path for 2-Ch.

Post Number: 9
For me finding a bargain somehow makes the thing "better." (ha, ha) Anyway here's the situation: I had my NAD 7140; KEF Q15 bookshelf speakers; and a Sony CD player in my bedroom. In order to encourage myself to exercise more, I decided to move my NAD receiver upstairs, where my rowing machine & weight room is located, and use it with a JVC tape deck and a set of Infinity Primus 150 speakers, which I recently purchased. So now I want a receiver to go with the bookshelf KEF's and the Sony CD player that are in my bedroom. Btw, I need an AC switched outlet on the receiver, so that I can plug the Sony cdp into it - the remote doesn't have a on/off switch on it (unbelievable!) Again, I do appreciate a bargain, so something in the $150-$300 price range would make my day. That $148 HK 3380 that you recommend is most enticing, except for the lousy remote. I do like a good remote!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1685
I wouldn't let the bad remote discourage you.

It looks like the HK3380 should do the trick.

Post Number: 10
Actually, it's the remote that stopping me from pulling the trigger. I want to get my TV, DVD, receiver, and cdp all on one remote. The fact that it's tough to find a universal that it's compatible with, is a bummer. Anyone who can recommend one that will work with the HK?

Thanks
Johern

Gold Member

Post Number: 1692
The silly thing about the H/K Remote is that it has a separate power on/off buttons.

Using H/K codes, my OFA universal remote can be programmed to turn off the HK3485, but not on. Yes, I can train my remote to learn the desired functions, but it's a pain in the @ss, and doesn't work well as far as intuitiveness, not to mention that I simply don't have enough programable buttons on my remote to make up for all the missing functions.

Perhaps a higher-end H/K HT remote might work better.

For the record, my OFA remote works beautifully with all my Marantz gear.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I must say I was disappointed when you said that you your experience with the Marantz SR4320 left you unimpressed i.e. that it was plastic-looking, and not very good sounding. So, the remote issue has pretty much turned me cold to HK. At the end of a day I like to crash (in bed!) watch some tv and switch to music or video without having to deal with 3 remotes. At this time I'm sort of in Limbo. Any other recommendations?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1693
Have you considered the NAD C720BEE? It's a bit more expensive, but still a relative bargain @ $429.

http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/C720Bee.asp

I owned it's predecessor, the C740, and I regret having sold it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1694
The HK3485 Remote for you consideration,

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I figured NAD would come up :-) I really don't want to go that route. I know NAD makes good products; in fact, I have a 7140 receiver from the mid-80's (no remote) and, after 22 years of living with it, I'm tired of the look. Besides, it's more scratch than I care to spend. Are there any Sherwood 2-channels' worth looking into? I'm no gold-ear-guy, I appreciate good imagining, some detail... bass isn't that important (for the most part, classical music really doesn't require a thumping bass presence). Good string sound is important. What about Yamaha - can you recommend any of their 2-channel receivers? These questions are to anybody, btw, I don't mean to be giving you a headache with my dilemma (but certainly appreciate your input!) Btw, thanks for the remote diagram. Actually, in my Internet searches I've seen pics of the real McCoy.

Thanks
Johern

Gold Member

Post Number: 1695
The only other 2-channel receiver, roughly this price-range, is the Outlaw Audio RR2150

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/306outlaw/

It pops-up here from time to time as a B-Stock item

https://www.outlawaudio.com/mofcart/bstock.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I do like some retro stuff but the "Outlaw-look" isn't one of them. Thanks for hanging in there, though. The quest continues! These are my latest two findings that can be had at ebay (new)for under $200. Anyone here care to comment as to which one might be preferable?

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3365.asp

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=yamaha+receiver&i=0 22RX397

Bronze Member
Username: 70chevelle

Post Number: 35
JC - I have an HK AVR247 in my theater. I use a Harmony 5xx all in one remote which works it and all my other components with no issues. You enter the make & model on your computer with the software, and download the info to the remote via usb cable. It's pretty simple, and not only works the components, but you can program specific macros to turn on/off components, etc. Harman Audio has the HK3380 for $188 which has 120wpc into 8 ohms, and the remote is $75 from Walmart (internet only). Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us