Glass Platters - WHY???

Username: Oldschool2424

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 4
Glass resonates like crazy. Looks great, but wouldn't wood fibre, or a hard rubber be better?? You want vibrations absorbed, not transmitted. Ever tap a glass at a wedding? Am I wrong??

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 988
IMO a rubber platter would kill the dynamics of the sound. At least that is what happened when I experimented with a Sorbothane disc mat. I tried a variety of mats and now use either the original felt mat or a Ringmat (engineered cardboard with cork rings).

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11928

Glass platters flow to a self leveling, self balancing state, so there's little machining to do on a glass platter. If you're trying to cut price, this is an excellent place to consider saving money since machining a perfect platter out of most materials is quite expensive.

You are confusing thin crystal with thick glass platters when you think glass rings. Go rap your knuckles on the windshield of your car then think ten times thicker glass. The platters on a Rega are thick enough to minimize resonance and what does exist is at a very different frequency and duration than the vinyl of a LP. Since the two materials are dissimilar, neither will excite the other into resonance. The benefit of such a system is a quick release of energy from the LP's surface.

Place a third material between the two - a felt mat - and you have improved the resonance problem. Since Rega offers a glass mat as an upgrade on their low end tables I doubt that MDF is the best choice for a platter material. If for no other reason than immunity from environmental factors, glass beats MDF. There are better platter materials than glass but they cost substantially more and the manufacturing costs exceed glasss by several mulitples. Buy a high end table with a methacrylic platter and the sound is generally better than with a glass platter, but you'll pay dearly for the better table.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us