Best all around receiver (music,movies),does it exist?

Username: Rudab

Post Number: 2
HI, I am wondering which is the best all around receiver if it were to be used with KEF 2005.2 with a use for music (50%) and Movies (50%)?

Sarandon
Unregistered guest
my votes go to either marantz or NAD, I would say yamaha but i think for your ears it may be too bright.

Bronze Member
Username: Fletcher

New York, New York USA

Post Number: 15
Would happily recommend Marantz. Great warm musical sound, also serious player for home theater. The only downside is that it doesn't have as many features and gimmicks to play around with compared to Denon or Yamaha, which are mostly for HT use.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 199
Rudy, what is your price range?

Username: Brazilian

Sao Paulo, SP Brasil

Post Number: 8
Landroval, regarding Marantz SR8400 MRSP $1.599,00 do you have a better competitor/option for that budget to use with Denon DVD 2900 and a set of 7.1 Boston Acoustics VR Series speakers ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
The Marantz is ok, but you should also check models like NAD T763/T773, Arcam AVR300 and Sherwood R-865/R-965. I dont know the exact price for those, but they should be around $1500-2000. Each of those will do a fine job.

Post Number: 3
LAndroval, My budget is around 1000 USD to 1,500 Usd... was also looking at yamaha 2400, but I have the feeling that it is more geared towards HT rather than music (good,crisp 2 channel cd sound...)...and I need it for both(50/50.

Heard Arcam Vr 200...thought it was great for sound, but nothing really special for HT...then again it was a 2 minute test...any feedback?

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
The Arcam AVR200 is basically a NAD T751/752 so it's not really worth the price. The new T753 or T763 are great, as are those Sherwoods I mentioned. They should be in your price range (~1300 euro here in Europe).

Post Number: 4
thanks...Tomorrow I am going to chek the AVR 300 which my dealer just got...I know its more expensive, but I am wondering if it's worth the additional investment...

have you heard anything about it? especially regarding music?

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
Here's a couple AVR300 threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=9c650f56a2399ea50c2c9af2a8c561ca &threadid=403574&highlight=AVR300
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=9c650f56a2399ea50c2c9af2a8c561ca &threadid=399041&highlight=AVR300
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/21177.html

Post Number: 5
thanks.landroval.. AVR300 sounds like the ticket (for the price,which dealer will tell me today)...
one last question...do you think the KEF will make full use of that receiver? Thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 212
Uh, you're talking about the KEF Eggs? I think that for those speakers it's really not worth buying a $2k receiver, you'll get about the same result with a ~$500 unit. If you're later going to upgrade your speakers it makes sense.

A good basic rule is to use around 1/3-1/4 of the money to the receiver and 2/3-3/4 to the speakers. This way the result will be the most satisfying. With a $1000 receiver, a $2000 speakersystem would be fine.

Username: Brazilian

Sao Paulo, SP Brasil

Post Number: 9
So, Landroval, can you help me selecting just a pair of A/V receivers to replace my Sony 5.1 (two subs) STR V555ES for a 7.1 (two subs if possible)? I will use them to connect my Denon DVD 2900 for movies (60%) and SACD/DVD-A (40%) I use Boston VR front towers with a sobwoofer included in each one. Boston VR center (80Hz and up), Boston THX dipole for surround and Boston CR75 for back surround. Boston`s speakers seems to be very easy to drive (8 Ohms and high sensitivity). I am considering Marantz SR8400 and NAD T773. Also considering JVC RX-DP20VBK, Rotel RSX1067, Denon AVR-4802R, Pioneer VSX-55TXi and Harman AVR7200. But, I think that the new Marantz and the NAD are more robust and musical. It is hard to listen to all of them so can you help me discarding some in a way that I can end up with just 03 of them to listen ?

Post Number: 6
ok, now I am lost (sort of)...If I were to match the AVR 300 with speakers that are great sounding but are as small as the the KEF Eggs, do you have any recommendations?...I saw speakers called Linn classiks that sounded awesome, but coul be off

Thanks again...a milliion times...this is getting interesting...there goes the budget...

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
Victor, I'd choose between the Rotel, NAD and Marantz.

Rudy, It's hard to get great sound out of small speakers, but you can always try. The KEFs are nice of course, but an other good option is the Elac 310.2/330.2 JET. If you could fit a bit bigger speakers you would have a lot more options. But of course, if you're happy with the KEFs you shouldn't rush to buy new ones.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us