Archive through December 16, 2007

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 319
Art said: "I saw Gary Burton last year with Chick Corea..."
I am jealous! And I am stuck here in the boonies for another 1.5 years before I can travel again. Except for a couple days at new years. The Portland Jazz Fest and others look exciting!

I saw Burton at the Jazz Alley in Seattle but not w/Corea. Those are also one of my all time top albums. I have all of Burton on LP including the double live from Zurich, 1979.

I listened to the new Joni Mitchell again. It is very nice. Well played and excellent sound and mood.
I do wish she put her old hit "Big Yellow Taxi", paved paradise... at the front or at the end. It breaks up the mood of the new music by being an "oldie". It is a nice version, but still wrongly placed.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 572
way to go, Nuck!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2321
"Everlast, Is that the one on Santana's Supernatural? Great stuff!"

Yes.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 901
Mark Knopfler - kill to get crimson

CD

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 902
Dave Grusin - Presents GRP All-Star Big Band LIVE

I got this due to Frank A's post on the Your Reference Music Library thread which stryvn started a while back.

stryvn should be posting something there very soon...

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2708
Simply...Nirvana. Lake of Fire.

...And it sounds so sweet.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5696
Today's music has been all classical and evocative of nature. Stormy day here in the Northwest. Played all super budget classics from Naxos, Arte Nova, and Classics for Pleasure...all great performances and all recorded very well.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2710
If I can, I might get the MTV Unplugged in New York ...disc.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 325
I am putting that Dave Grusin on my buy list. I can't keep up w/you guys.

Had a pretty quiet day today. Played the vinyl and read a book. Lazy day. Listened to all 4 sides of the above named Burton/Correa concert '79. (That was the year I did the "m" word the 1st time. Also another double LP on ECM: Egberto Gismonti: "Sanfona". Actually two recordings sold as a a double. The 1st lp is a 4tet in 1980 in Oslo, and the 2d a solo from 81 in Munich.

Kenny Dorham: "Quiet Kenny. Rec 1959 by Rudy Van Gelder.
As usual, anything with Tommy Flanagan on Piano is great.

While my gal cooked dinner I cranked it up to an old Dean Martin Collection.

For the night: again with FM w/Bob Parlucha.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 326
Jazz fans should not that there are some really good buys and also some rare stuff at http://www.cadencebuilding.com/ both cd and LP.

Also their gear store: North Country sometimes has good deals on HiFi, They carry Nad and many others.

Bronze Member
Username: Josh784

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 89
Just polished off "Come on Feel the Illinois" by Sufjan Stevens. Now spinning "Running on Empty" by Jackson Browne. I haven't listened to this recording in a while but it really showcases the Rega's talents nicely. Well, the first track at least

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5698
Thansk for the tip Kevin.

Silver Member

Post Number: 573
recent vinyl

Genesis - In The Beginning. Original writings by the boys and forced into recordings. Sounds very much like the Moody Blues with Gabriel at the mic.

I also found a copy of Rod Stewart's A Night On The Town....that I never opened. lol

In The Court Of King Crimson - An Observation By King Crimson

And Led Zeppelin - CODA for shitsngrins.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2711
I'm really liking Nirvana.

The box set With the Lights Out...hmm...

Currently listening to Nirvana's version of Seasons in the Sun.

Silver Member

Post Number: 575
Gift from a friend...

Putumayo presents Music from the Wine Lands.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2326
Currently working on a Black Sabbath compilation of their re-mastered Black Box for a friend.

Paranoid will not be included in the compilation; it'll stand on its own.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 330
My nephews were such Nirvana fans that they named their band "Samsara" which is just one step below Nirvana on the ladder of enlightenment. So hip and esoteric that no one got it. Like a joke so clever that no one laughs?

Put Putumayo up there with the great labels!
What are the other great labels you ask?
You didn't?

ECM as I have been lately digging out of vinyl storage.
Pablo. Also mentioned recently.
The classic Blue Note be-bop catalog. Almost 100% great.
Concord Jazz.

Todays CJ trip:
Charlie Byrd, The Best of the Concord Years. 2 CDs of great cuts from 1979 to '99.
Every CD collection in this series is Great.

Silver Member

Post Number: 576
William Ackerman - Passage

Vinyl.

And lovely.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 910
stryvn, In The Court Of King Crimson - An Observation By King Crimson ranks as one of my all time favorites, I have it on CD, and another K.C. on vinyl, though I do not remember it being the same title.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 331
stryvn- Yes! good idea, I dug out Passage. Windham Hill has a nice very well recorded sound. That was 1981. And a long way from Zeppelin!
From 1976, one you may enjoy is Sargasso Sea, John Abercrombie and Ralf Towner guitar duets. More ethereal than Passage, but it has the sense of calm and peacefulness.
If you like Towner, his duet LP w/Gary Burton, Matchbook, is great too. Another one in the mood tonight Eberhard Weber- Fluid Rustle, w/Bill Frisell on guitar and Gary Burton. They have a more spacey style than Ackerman but the tranquility is there.

Silver Member

Post Number: 577
Thanks Kevin...I have a few Windham Hill albums on cassette that I recorded from a friend many moons ago. Passage being one of my favorites. Then a couple of weeks ago while plowing thru the used racks at Half Price Books I found Passage for a buck. I was thrilled! I haven't listened to it in some time and the vinyl sounded oh so sweet. I'll add the other stuff you mentioned there to the list I carry in my wallet......the list comes out whenever the pull of a music store steers my car for me.

Mike.....I may have an extra King Crimson Observation. Hmmmmm?

And it sounds like Stu's friend is gonna have some great tunes to listen to! Re-Mastered Black Sabbath.....lucky fella.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9380
indeed.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2712
Ok, now I'll talk, at least for a few sentences. Oh, there's two already.

I decided to take a look at what my sister listens to.

Some Feist and Dave Matthews, and I'm not surprised that I liked it. I like the rest of the stuff too.

Silver Member
Username: Darth

Post Number: 134
Lately I have been listening to nothing but Progressive

Vinyl
Magma - Kohntarkosz
Le Orme - Collage
ELP - Trilogy

CD
Jethro Tull - The very best

Good music good memories

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5710
I'm listening to Eric Bibb which our own Joe Coulsen sent me a few months ago. I miss him.

Silver Member

Post Number: 579
How do you like that, Art? Which disc was it? I've got one on order with yourmusic.

While I listen to Diana Krall - Christmas Songs.
Damn she's good!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5712
That Diana Krall CD is fantastic...

The Eric Bibb cd is good but not great...as I said awhile back it's kind of like creole-blues lite. I will certainly listen to it again...and again.

Now it's on to Mark O'Conner and his Hot Swing Trio "In Full Swing" featuring Wynton Marsalis and the fabulous Jane Monheit.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 335
Good tip, I need some Christmas music. I have a whole collection kept at Mom's place but I won't make it until New Years.
Finally gave the Diana Krall DVD a play (re post back there). It is nice. Now maybe I will get into that "...Other Room" CD. The DVD has some live footage mixed with music videos. Her landscape in Vancouver BC coast where she is from etc.
One thing that surprises me is the decent sound I get with the basic Samsung DVD player. Will upgrade that anyway when I get a few more videos.

stryvn: I replayed Passages and now realize why it is better than I had remembered (besides 20+ years!). On 2d play I realized it was the violin by the great Darol Angor of David Grisman Quintet nicknamed "Dawg Music".
That was a fabulous band. We had a local Alaska "Dawg music" cover band. The fiddler has gone on to form another great acoustic band called Pearl Django. This is close to Mark O'Conner and his Hot Swing Trio re- Art above.

Jethro Tull is great fun! You know, his flute was inspired by the monster player Roland Kirk. (On my all time best list)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5713
Tull has a very good Xmas cd as well.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1760
Ms Krall looks the best I've seen her on that DVD kevin - the party scene in the blck dress. Yum!

Got Joe Turner - The things that I used to do - on the cdp right now. Not a great recording but great music.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 343
I love Big Joe Turner. Have you seen the film: Last of the Blue Devils?
http://www.amazon.com/Last-Blue-Devils-Kansas-Story/dp/B00005M2CK
I saw it in the theater years ago. I feel the DVD is abridged and the sound quality is not the best but it is truly classic American music.

Jazz Times online has posted the critics "best recordings of 2007".
One of them, who I have always liked, Scott Yanow used to write for All Music Guide and different magazines for years, including Fanfare. He has books on jazz too.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5723
The All Music Guide is my favorite Jazz guide. I find it to be head and shoulders better than the Penguin (which is the definitive guide to Classical).

How about xmas music folks, anyone listening.

Christmas at the Pops with Erich Kunzel conducting the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra on Telarc.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1763
Thanks for that link and info Kevin, I'll look out for the movie and the Jazz Guide.

This afternon: Mondo Rock on Vinyl, Dr John and Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings on CD.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9401
Bah stinking humbug!

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 923
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same Remaster CD from stryvn. Even at near max volume you can hear the band members speaking asides to one another. This is one is to be appreciated by rocker's everywhere for its raw punch you in the gut performances.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 924
Ok, I have a better description of "raw punch you int he gut performances".

I play "No Quarter" first, ~10 minutes. Then went back to track 1 and started playing the CD through.

1:35 into Misty Mountain Hop the MAC shut down!

I had the dial turned up higher for Tool and other stuff than I did for this and that never happened before!

Fuse was still good, and about 5 minutes after the amp fainted it came to.

Back again, with msybe 80 db this time. Not quite the same affect but the meters are only half way up now. I guess I will start bumping the volume on the remote until I see the little orange lights start winking at me again.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5725
Oh Nuck now what kinda attitude is that.....

There are some great xmas recordings...c'mon guys...oh and it won't shut the Mac down (I hope).

Silver Member

Post Number: 582
I think Mike is enjoying the recording the way the concert was meant to be enjoyed.

Cool!

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 846
Tonight I was listening to some

Jack Johnson : In Between Dreams (sounds great)
Eagles: Hell Freezes Over (sounds great)
Rise Against : The Sufferer and the Witness (Sounds..not so great)

Silver Member

Post Number: 847
"Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same Remaster CD from stryvn"

I got that one, awesome cd. Even better DVD.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9404
The Canuck copies are on the dogsled now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 584
Mush Mush

I should have hand delivered.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 347
Led Zeppelin- Now on the cover of Rolling Stone. (not joking)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5729
I saw them on the cover of several mags today at the bookstore...

Silver Member

Post Number: 585
Gonna buy 5 copies for my Mother

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2337
So she can read it more than once?

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2720
I was listening to that earlier (Dr. Hook?)

The same thing happened to me, but it was my Pioneer Elite that shut down and I will admit I was playing Weezer - Say it Ain't So. There's no telling what the volume was.

When people are putting so much money in their systems and room acoustics, how could you improve them other than having the bands come perform for you?

Aren't there limits to how good it gets?

Once you reach the point of:

-XXXX amps of service with a VARIAC at constant voltage and XX stages of power filtering for each separate component

-That $XXXXX turntable, CD Player, and whatever other source

-Cabling more expensive than most houses and specifically designed for your particular system

- Tube preamplifier using the best circuit layout possible specifically designed to work with the rest of the system

- Controlled amplification with 150 SET watts for each individual voice coil.

- Speakers specifically designed to work with the rest of the components with each driver installed in its own exact spot within the room for the best response

- Room specifically designed for the audio system

- Room optimization equipment with XXX microphones constantly monitoring output and keeping the waveform as close as possible to the feed off of the sources.

After that, what's left? Seriously..

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 748
As part of my vinyl ripping yesterday I picked up near-mint condition vinyl of:

Chicago Transit Authority
George Harrison - Thirty-Three and 1/3
CSNY - Deja Vu
CSNY - 4 Way Street

Seems as though my 30 year old receiver has failed so I'll be looking for a used receiver to further my project.

Username: Snapcat

Post Number: 8
I heard the most unbelievable kit last night while doing a tour of historical homes.

Great clarity
Impeccable instrument placement
Translucent transparency
Wonderful bloom
Not too harsh, but just enough bite
Audiophile quality bass with no boom

It consisted of 6 components...

A piano and the young lady playing it
A violin and the young lady playing it
A cello and the young lady playing it

No amplification needed.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5735
A trio, how lovely. What were they playing?

Username: Snapcat

Post Number: 9
Mostly Christmas stuff... I don't remember which exactly.

I am definitely going to the symphony at least once this winter. My resolution is to hear more live music, amplified and not. Last night's experience reminded me how much loudness change occurs with acoustic instruments.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9408
You are one sharp cat.

Watch out for the rocking chair.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2722
I just got back from our concert. I play the tuba if you don't know that yet.

It was quite fun. Since I'm in the band I can't really listen from the audience.

It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to reproduce it if you have the right equipment set up correctly.

I heard a lot of super deep stuff which my last sub wouldn't be able to capture.

Four Aurasound NS18s, here we come.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1768
Got Diana Krall's Christams CD, Undercover and Some Girls - the Stones and Chris Isacc's Speak of the Devil for a song in the bargain section. So we a great rocking afternoon with some very, very nice Christmas jazz from Ms Krall

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 353
Went for Christmass music but they wanted ove $18 for a cd!

so I came home with Kieth Jarrett Trio twofer on ECM- Live at Montreu, recorded 2001 but just released.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 927
Andre, please invite us all over when you get that super system all set up, of course it would only be good for one single recording...

Nice post Snapcat.

I picked up a couple of dozen more LPs today, all near perfect, for ~$40 (USD) total. Best clearance rack I ever saw. They had stuff there I would have paid $10 @ for, like;

Best of Jennifer Warnes (spinning now)
The Turtles Greatest Hits
The World of Pete Seeger
A couple of Dave Grusin, (GRP Direct to Digital Recording)Mountain Dance, and GRP All-Stars Live in Japan with special guest Sandao Watanabe
A couple of Rush
A couple of Tull
A couple of Stones
A couple of Santana
Larry Carlton
Weather Report
Gary Wright
Natalie Live

Hollandia, import from Holland tonight

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2724
Ahh! You're confusing me!

Hmm, interesting music.

One of my friends really likes Rush, as do I. Moving Pictures.

Are you implying that I'm going to blow it on the first recording?

I'm not sure I'd even be able to handle its full output! I also don't want to break the dishes in my neighbor's house.

I seriously am going to get this thing in action by early next year, or is that what I'd like to think? No, I am serious. Knowing me, I might actually invite someone.

Of course, I will have to wait to get the money (Jan-Feb). It's always the money with me, now isn't it?

Four EBS/LLT Subwoofers with NS18s for drivers, super-inert boxes, 1000w/driver, and optimal placement sounds good to me.

How does the Paradigm Studio Series (I really like the way it sounds) sound for use as the speaker upgrade? I'm not sure what amplification to use, though.

I really like my Pioneer Elite.

Oh, and since we're telling what we're listening to, I'm listening to my Coldplay CD.

You seem to always get great deals...hmm..

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 933
Andre, I was referring to your post 2720 above about "Once your reach the point of".

The set up you described would be good for a single recording then you would have to alter or modify it for the next thing you played to be empirical with it.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 934
Adema - Imsomniac's Dream Vinyl

Not as good as Tool IMO.

Kitaro - The Light of the Spirit Vinyl

This is one of the one's I bought today for $1. I am not one for yoga music unless I am doing yoga. This is not yoga music. It is engaging, griping, exciting, and mellowing all at once. My system really delivers this well. I had listened to Kitaro about 20 years ago when I was doing vinyl to Beta tapes, but not since then. This is special.

I have a few more of his I will have to set aside for when I need to chill.

I would like to find anyone else there that listens to Jennifer Warnes, Adema, and Kitaro in sequence. Not exactly a line up I may try again anytime soon. LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 586
A few more one buck vinyl jobs.

Richard Thompson - Across A Crowded Room
Roy Clark - Turned Loose
Atlanta Rhythm Section - Champagne Jam
Boz Scaggs - Middle man

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2725
I wouldn't mind some RATM CDs.

And Pink Floyd, Cake, TSO, Nirvana, Weezer, Edgar Winter Group, Coldplay, The Beatles, Metallica, War, The Zombies, Queens of the Stone Age, and others.

Bronze Member
Username: Scorpio1

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 34
Michael W.

Just saw clip on mainiac world. Great Stuff.
Tonight I will kick back with Neena Freelon and Etta James while the game is on......

Silver Member

Post Number: 852
Michael-I have Adema's self titled album. I havn't heard the one you have? Any good? Are they still Gothic style metal?

Silver Member

Post Number: 853
MW- I hope they didnt butcher Alice In Chains-Nutshell on that Adema album you have. I see they did a cover of it.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 938
Nick,

Gothic is present, Nutshell not Gothic. They do a decent job on it, layering is more present with this cut than the others, percussion is predominant, but not overpowering. Adema delivers this almost like a metal ballad.

Having said this, I also have not heard the Alice in Chains original.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 939
Dave Grusin - GRP All-Stars Live In Japan Vinyl

Recently I saw a link to a thread about how to find "quality" CDs. Various artists and labels were mentioned. Well I think I found out another way to get good vinyl. Find out what folks listen to that listen to Dave Grusin. Every one of his albums I have purchased, all used, have been lovingly cared for.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 943
The Turtles - Greatest Hit Vinyl

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5741
It's my Friday and I work 4 of the next 24 days....time to celebrate!

One of those days my daughter is having surgery...not so good but it will be for the best...

Tonight we have ...

Joe Lovano and Hank Jones - Live at Dizzy's Club Coca Cola

Elmo Hope - Trio and Quintet

Jackie McLean - It's Time

Great jazz on a cool December eve.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2735
Eh...so many things

Among them is I Feel Good by James Brown.

This is really fun to play on the tuba.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5742
Robert Glasper - Canvas

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5743
Archie Shepp - Kwanza

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5744
Albert Ayler - New Grass

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 355
Speaking of Tuba I heard Howard Johnson in a bar once and he hung out with us. Brilliant guy and great musician. http://www.amazon.com/Right-Now/dp/B000W107H8

There goes Art playing my music again.
The New Down Beat Magazine, Jan 08 issue came today w/ Dave Brubeck on the cover. They list all the best cds reviewed in 07.

Silver Member

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 749
Art, I hope everything goes well with your daughter's surgery. Also, enjoy your time away from work.

Patsy Cline - "12 Greatest Hits"
Trailer Park Troubadours - "Doublewide and Dangerous" (don't ask)

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11854

Sem - Do you like Gentleman Jim Reeves?

Bronze Member
Username: Scorpio1

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 36
Anybody enjoy Sonny Rollins? Just lovin "God Bless The Child"

Art-My family will say a prayer.......

Silver Member

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 750
Jan, I have to admit the entire genre is not something I'm real familiar with. As far as the above two cds I recently saw "Always, Patsy Cline" performed at a local Playhouse and was impressed enough to pick up the cd. I guess I didn't realize how many songs of hers I was familiar with. The other cd was one of a bunch of cds a friend sent me to check out. I gave it a listen last night.

After a little googling I read about the Cline/Reeves plane connection - quite bizarre really.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5745
Thanks guys, actually she's having gastric bypass at OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland) next week. She stated that she wants to see her son grow up and this is the right move for her. She has the discipline to make it work.

Jackie McLean - New and Old Gospel

Gold Member

Post Number: 9421
All the power to Sherlyn!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5746
Sherilyn is my wife she's not having the surgery, my daughter Mandy is. Great kid she works at Oregon State University.

Nuck....my prayers are with you tonight my friend.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 944
The World of Pete Seeger Vinyl

I will need to cart this over to Vigne's and listen to it on tubes. I think this is made for Jan's system.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5747
Toobs still rule!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1781
Art. We wish Mandy the best. It seems she'll have all the right support.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5748
Thanks MR. Have you heard from Nuck tonight...a PM would probably be best if you have.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 356
Ed: "...Anybody enjoy Sonny Rollins?..."
Recently I was listening to FM when I said, wow, not THAT, is great, and it was Sonny. I can usually guess but that one caught me.

One of the all time giants of the Tenor Sax:
Hawk, Bean, Pres, Trane, Getz, Zoot, Rahsaan, Rollins, Henderson, Shorter and others.

Of course, jazz fans will want to add their favorites to that best ever list, so many contenders: Griffin, Dolphy, Hank Mobley, Frank Wes, Lavano, Brecker, Scott Hamilton etc.

There is a great bargain priced reissue series, Prestige Profiles, that includes a free cd thrown in with the main one. I got the whole collection:
Vol 1- Miles, 2- Red Garland, 3- ROLLINS, 4- Hawkins etc
....classic music cheap!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 357
Ed- Also great stuff with Neena and Etta!

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2736
Oh...lots of music.

Everybody have a great end to the year. I think I might've gone crazy, to tell you the truth.

Well, alright, then.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 358
Andre- James Brown really makes the great party music! Those were the days. You know, Maceo Parker is still playing that music today that he played on "I feel good". Saw him outdoors in Seatle. He said: "...We play 90% funk, 10% jazz..."

Art- Jackie McLean is on the Prestige Profiles too. Good luck.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11862

Sem - Check out Jim Reeves on line and listen to a few samples. He's kind of the Mel Torme of Country; a velvet voice and more songs you've probably heard on the radio. He and Cline were both on RCA and produced by a younger Chet Atkins who later signed with Dave Grusin's GRP label.

"The World of Pete Seeger Vinyl

I will need to cart this over to Vigne's and listen to it on tubes. I think this is made for Jan's system."

"Toobs still rule!"

Pete Seeger - A very good Communist. Love those Russian tubes too.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5749
Sovtek forever!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9426
Da

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2353
A few Cake CDs, followed by The Song Remains the Same.

All courtesy of a mutual friend.

Silver Member

Post Number: 587
Genesis A Trick Of The Tail vinyl. Real nice!

Kansas Masque and Leftoverture
Jackson Browne - Saturate Before Using and Running On Empty
Genesis Abacab.

Still rifling thru the buck rack at Half Price Books. Except Trick Of The Tail.....had to break out a Abraham Lincoln for that one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9430
Make Abe proud.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9431
For no particular reason...I am reminded of the 'All in the Family' when Archie and Meathead are bantering about Jewish names and Stivik comes up with Abe Lincoln.

Edith says 'I didn't know Lincoln was Jewish'.

ROFL!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5751
Sara Gazarek - Yours
John Scofield - A Go Go
Jackie McLean - Demon's Dance

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5752
Joe Henderson - Our Thing

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1782
Art - I heard from J. Got the awful news. I did pm you but I got an undeliverable message from your post master (message too old - if you can believe that!). I'll try again when I have more time.

It's a bad, bad thing - Chris Isaak. Totaly appropriate. Damn it!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5755
These are difficult times for our friend...

Listening to Keith Jarrett - Up For It.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9437
Thanks guys.
I guess being single again ain't the end of the world.

But it feels that way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us