New NAD's are amazing - there is a bit of hiss though

Bronze Member
Username: Phenolite

Post Number: 14
So, I got my c160 and my c270, with my PSB 6T's and Subsonic 6i - and i'm so very happy about my setup.

So, I have an audio out on my 27" Panasonic, and i plug in the cables (no name cables). When i turn up the preamp, there is a good amount of whitenoise. is this because it is coming from the TV, which probably doesn't provide a clean signal?

Also, when i use my PS2 (i know i know) for CDs and such, there is a bit of a hiss, but I cannot hear it from my listening position.

So, I guess my question is, what rf cables can you guys recommend? Is Monster good, or are there better?

thanks alot!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 75
You shouldn't be hearing any hiss so something is amiss. Where is this hiss coming from and at what volumes? If you turn on your combo and don't actually play anything but turn the volume up, you will always hear a little hiss through the tweeters if you put your ear right up to the speaker. You shouldn't hear any hiss whilst actually playing a source. Do you have any sources other than your tv and PS2? If so, do they produce the hiss too? No interconnects should produce such hiss and the monster cable is fine. Maybe you have a damaged pair (of leads) and should look to check this. Otherwise, if the hiss is still present with another source and the cables are ok, I'd take your Nad gear to be checked because it may be faulty. Firstly though, describe the hiss in more detail...

Username: Killa_red

Greenwood, Mississippi U.s

Post Number: 4
hi, I have a 1600(maxx) watt sony subwoofer amp Is this a good amp? and would 2 kickerL7 12s or 2 jlw/7 12s work well with this amp or maybe another type of speaker thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Phenolite

Post Number: 15
sun:

there is a hiss at high volumes when I do not play anything - but, when I play a cd, there is no real hiss.

I think the hiss only comes from my TV. This makes sense, however because the cable signal may be crappy (it isn't digital, just plain old cable). also, I don't have good audio cables. The tv is also old (3yrs)...so..

in other words, it's not a big deal - only hiss and noise from tv

Bronze Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 76
Dan,

Only from the tv and only at high volumes if not playing anything isn't a problem with your Nad gear then. There is always a chance that the problem lies with your speakers. They're supposed to be magnetically shielded for use when the tv is on, maybe this is where the problem lies. I see that your speakers SHOULD be magnetically shielded according to the specs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us