Newbie buying a Receiver...Need you pro's help please!

Username: Mrpito

Calgary, Lberta Canada

Post Number: 1
Hi Everyone,

So, the wife gave me permission to go out and blow some money on a home audio system. Now, originally i considered getting a home Theatre in a box, but I've since come to my senses and realized that a Standalone receiver is a much better choice. I've got a few things i'd like to run to my receiver, so I'll list them below so that you guys understand my set-up.

1) Upconverting DVD player (upconverts through Component, Has Optical Audio)
2) Satellite Receiver (Connects through component or Composite)
3) Nintendo Wii (Connects through Component)

I also have a 50" 1080i Plasma TV. The TV has inputs for all your standards plus Component and HDMI. It doesn't have optical Audio though.

So, my question here is, what Receiver can I hook up to please my ears that won't make my wallet bleed TOO much. I'm content on just getting the Receiver for now and purchasing speakers at a later time. If money permits, I would love to pick up 2 speakers right away, but only if money Permits. Do I go with 5.1 or 7.1? Does it make a difference really?

My budget is upwards of $400-500 for the Receiver. Maybe a LITTLE bit more if it makes a big difference in sound quality and clarity at louder volumes. This is all going into my Bonus Room which is roughly 13 ft X 16 Ft. The couch is a sectonal and the TV is in the opposite corner, so I'd say I'm sitting between 8-12 Ft away at all times.

Also, if possible, anyone have any recommendations on any good speakers or Subwoofers?

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 903
Look at some Entry level H/K, NAD, and Onkyo. I will get into more detail when I have more time.

Username: Mr_audio

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 1
If you can deal with no HDMI video switching, look at the Yamaha RX-V659. You can get it at any retail store for at the most for 400 bucks and get it online for as little as 320 bucks. This Yamaha is definitely one of the most over looked receivers because it's not Onkyo, Denon, or H/K. It's cheaper than your budget, so maybe you can get speakers sooner than you think.

About the difference between 5 and 7.1, there is a very noticeable difference, but that is something you can upgrade to later if you want. Until then you'll have good enough sound with 5.1 to hold you over. By the way, the Yamaha is a 7.1 receiver, so all you would need to add is a few more speakers later.

Speakers? How cheap are we talkin'? If it's like under 100 bucks a pair I would say the Insignia's from Best Buy. Yeah, Best Buy. I hate them but they do make a great cheap speaker. For a sub Best Buy sells a 200 watt powered 12 inch sub that's around 200 bucks. I've never heard them but Rocket speakers are supposed to sound great for cheap prices, but I've never heard, so I can't tell you. My recommendations come from assuming that you want to keep cost way down. Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9510
Rodney, I presume this is for 90% movies?

Calgary, Lberta Canada

Post Number: 2
Heyya kenny, Thanks for the great reccomendations. I'll take a look at that Yamaha you recomended. You're right about me wanting to keep the costs down, but I don't want to sacrifice quality for price. I'm looking at keeping the price of the entire system under the $1200 mark for 5 speakers, a sub and a receiver. Is there another receiver that has HDMI video switching that doesn't cost too much more and is preferable 7.1 to allow for me to upgrade later?

As for the sub, i like the sound of that 200 Watt powered Sub. As for speakers, That should leave me about $500 to spend on the remaining 5 speakers. What would you reccomend for a speakers?

Nuck, I'll be using this system mainly for Movies and hockey / sporting events. My wife may listen to music loudly while I'm at work though, so I'd say 90/10 is a good split.

Thanks Guys...I appreciate the help!

Bronze Member

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 14
Yamaha makes the 661 that has HDMI switching as does the Onkyo 605. Their MSRP is 500 bucks, but you certainly can get these receivers even almost 100 dollars cheaper if you search the net. They might be factory reconditioned which can be just as good as new. I personally chose the Yamaha receiver without HDMI switching because of the rave reviews of the RX-V659 and I don't want HDMI switching because it doesn't work 100% of the time anyway. If you must have it though, those two can do it for you. Also the H/K 147 and 247 have HDMI. Last time I heard H/K on my stuff it sounded like crap. However that was a long time ago and things and my ears have changed since then. The 147 MSRP is 400 bucks and is only 5.1. The 247 is 500 bucks and 7.1.

You might wanna take the lower cost receiver to leave more money for speakers. I can fully recommend the Paradigm Cinema series for your speakers all around. They are very low cost and sound fantastic for the price. The LCR 110 costs 125 bucks each. 625 will take care of all your speakers. Consequently, you'll have to turn your sub crossover to about 120Hz due to the early low frequency roll off. Since you will use it mostly for movies you can get away with less response from the main speakers. Other than the Paradigms, I haven't heard speaker systems from AV123 X-series, SVS or HSU, but they get great reviews by users. Check out their websites. HSU has a speaker package for 550 bucks including the sub. I've never heard this package, but I've heard a HSU VTF-3 and it's nothing short of amazing. Anyway, there is some food for thought.

Calgary, Lberta Canada

Post Number: 3
Hi Guys,

First of all, thanks alot for all of the suggestions and for pointing me in the right direction. I've done some research on some of the models you have suggested and a few others that i found on my own as well and i've narrowed it down to 2 choices. Could I get your opinions or experiences with these receivers please.

1) Yamaha RX-V861 - MSRP = $999, found online for $600 + $65 Shipping
2) Onkyo TX-SR705 - MSRP = $1099, found online for $650 + $150 Shipping

Both seem to have similar features, except that the Onkyo receiver has 3 HDMI in and HDMI-1.3a, while the Yamaha has 2 HDMI in and HDMI-1.2a . I've read some great reviews on both, but it seems like the more popular model is the Yamaha and the reviews seem to be much better.

Now, that being said, i';m not married to those 2 choices for receivers. if you happen to think that there's another receiver out there that can put these 2 to shame for around the same ballpark figure, then please let me know.

hope to hear some great feedback soon.

Cheers!

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 952
Rodney, options and features aside. The Onkyo will sound much much better IMO. The 705 is suppose to be a very good receiver. That would be my choice any day over any Yamaha. For an online price of 650, I can't at this time recommend anything better than the Onkyo.

Bronze Member

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 23
I say buy them both from Best Buy and Circuit City and compare them head to head. Take them both back and buy the one that sounds better online. It's the only way to know for sure. I bet you'll like the Yamaha better, but you shouldn't take anyones word for it here. Take them home and duke it out!

Calgary, Lberta Canada

Post Number: 4
Heyya Guys,

So, I appreciate all of your help in helping me choose a new home audio system. I went out this evening with my wife and we ended up spending nearly $2000(WAY over budget) on the entire system. This is what I ended up buying:

Yamaha RX-V861 receiver (105W x 7) @ $668
Sinclair Audio Brighton Series SW10.3 250W powered Sub @ $398
2 polk Audio monitor 50 Towers (all 5 Polk Audio speakers @ $650)
2 Polk Audio monitor 30 Rears
1 Polk Audio CS1 Center
50Ft Roll of 16G speaker wire @ $50
15Ft Sub Cable @ $40

All in all, i think I overspent, but from what I've seen on the polk Audio site, i got the speakers at a good price. Now, i just gotta hook it all up and hope that the Juice is worth the squeeze. Let me know what you all think of my choice.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

cheers,
Rodney

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 171
Congratulations. Good pick on the Yamaha. Fire-up your new system, post your thoughts and any questions.

Enjoy.

Calgary, Lberta Canada

Post Number: 6
I was only able to hook up the 2 Monitor 50 towers for now and the Sub. They sound good so far, but I'm sure everything will sound much better next week when i hook the remaining 3 speakers up.

The Receiver is pretty good so far tho... I accidentally woke my kid up with the 2 towers by turning up to -15db. I'm really looking forward to hearing it all up!

I'll keep you posted on how it all sounds.

cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us