Please Help with Speaker Puchase?

Username: Assassin

Hoboken, NJ

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased the ONKYO 801 receiver and I am now looking to hookup surround sound for 7.1. My budget is $2000 - 2500 for all speakers, cables, etc.
Which brand or model does the board consider the best given my constraints? Energy, Polk, Paradigm, Definitive, other.
Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 91
You should get a fabulous sounding system for the money you'be budgeted. There is no reason to expect anything less. Glad to see you're considering ever so important cables as part of your purchase. I think one of the high value surround sound systems, quite well received in the mags, and attractively priced, is the Wharfedale Diamond 8 series. If you audition Wharfedale and liked the quick, fast Kevlar driver sound and Wharfedales nice crossovers you'd have a good system for sure.
I happen to like Straight Wire cables and interconnects, but see WireWorld and Audioquest are just fine too. So is Chord, and used cables make great deals (audiogon, ebay etc).

Username: Neht

Westford, Massachusetts USA

Post Number: 6
Thank me now, or thank me later. Purchase the following:

M&K LCR750 THX MkII (pair)
M&K 750 Center THX MkII
M&K Surround-55 MkII Tripoles (pair)
M&K Surround-550 THX (pair for back surround)
M&K V-1250 THX Powered Subwoofer

http://www.mksound.com

GOPAL
Unregistered guest
I would advise Energy speakers as they are easy to drive and will sound good off the Onkyo. Also I would suggest spending your money on a good 5.1 rather than an average 7.1. I have found that 7.1 systems are no better unless you have an exceptionally large room. use 5.1 with dipole rears. Also since there is no material available for 7.1 it is actually a myth.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us