Marantz SR7300 underpowered??

Username: Fletcher

New York, New York USA

Post Number: 10
Hello.

After a month with the Marantz SR7300, I have noticed that the Marantz seems to be soft sounding, and it takes substantial cranking of the volume (to -20 or more) to get a proper level of loudness for music and movies. The receivers I've had before usually only needs -30Db or so to get really really loud, so this is quite surprising from Marantz who claims 105 W per channel. It's barely audible at -40 and -50DB. My speakers are quite efficient (91Db) but my room is rather large. Anyone else share similar experience? I'm afraid that it might clip during parties, so how can I get it to go louder? Attach a power amp? Which amps are good and cheap for loud music? Thanks all.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 311
I have a SR-7300 also. What you stated is about right. Note the difference between -20 and -10 and remember it goes to +18. But, like most receivers except NAD and a few others, the 105wpc rating is not for all channels driven at the same time.

I think the 7300 is wonderful, we have a reasonably large room with high ceilings and we could never use anywhere near the power it offers. BTW, have you set the sound levels for all your speakers?

Bronze Member

New York, New York USA

Post Number: 11
Thanks My Rantz for your reply.

I am reluctant to go near 0 or much less more than that +XDb, for the fear of destroying my speakers/amp.

I am currently only running a stereo set up, so I have not set the sound levels. (Do I need to for stereo?)

The max I've gone is -10DB, which is quite loud. However, I don't feel that it's loud, until somebody starts speaking to me, and I find that we have to raise our voices quite a bit. After some searching around, I found that lower THD will lower the level of perceived loudness. So the Marantz is actually delivering very clean music, which in turn might lower my perception of its loudness?

Also, have you gone to 0 yet? If so, how loud does it get? Approx 100DB? My living room is connected to the dining area and lounge, so it's quite a large empty space to fill for the amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 313
Fletcher,

In stereo mode playing cd's with the player connected with a toslink cable, I have hit '0' just for a short burst and that was extremely loud. My main speakers are 6 ohm, 88db impedence and 150wt maximum. But with your sensitive speakers , you should need less volume than I'm using. Hmmm. The sound levels may not be necessary for stereo but may help, however what you add in db's will be deducted from the maximum +18 db level.

A coaxial or toslink cable from your CD player may help. For surround movies our volume level is usually around -10 to -15 depending upon the recording though usually at -12. For cd's around -18 is loud enough to have to raise our voice. Under -10 we'd have to yell.

If you clip the speakers the amp will go into protect mode but I would not count on that to prevent damage.

Be aware in summer, if it gets particulary hot, you may need a 12v whisper fan on top to prevent the unit from overheating. Also keep plenty of ventilation space around it.

Bronze Member
Username: Sulfur

Post Number: 20
IMHO I don't think volume in terms of -dB is a good measurement of power. When I tested the NADs (T742/752/762), I had to crank them to 0dB in an averaged size sound room to get decent volume. :P

THD vs perceived loudness makes sense. I remembered cranking them NADs up to +12 and +18dB (whatever the max was, I think it's different depending on the model) while watching Saving Private Ryan at a dealer's sound room to try test their "all channels driven" claim, and thought humm this doesn't sound any louder than a Marantz or Denon. Sales guy came in *twice* to turn them down. So it was probably thunder loud even outside the room. :P

BTW I live in a concrete apartment, with my 7300ose & B&W setup, I have *never* turned the volume beyond -25dB for 2ch CD/HDCD & -20dB for DD/DTS concert & movie DVDs. Even at these volumes the sound was clearly audible outside the hallway.

Bronze Member
Username: Sulfur

Post Number: 21
Also depends on how efficient your speakers are, obviously. :-)

Anonymous

Anthony/MyRantz, Can I safely run my receiver at 6ohms if my speaker's nominal impedence is 8 ohms and a recommended amp power of 250watts?

Silver Member

Post Number: 319
Anon

What is your receiver - does it state recommended speaker impedence? And the recommended amp power for your speakers - is that the maximum rating?

Anonymous

I have a denon 3805 and the max rating on my speaker is 250w. Thank you in advance!

Silver Member

Post Number: 321
Anon

I don't know if the 3805 has a ohm switch, if it does select 8 ohms, if not, just hook up the speakers and enjoy. Impedence fluctuates with frequencies and I don't know why you would want to run your receiver at 6 ohms - any reason?

Anonymous

My Rantz, I guess I'm curious on how much of a difference, if any, it would be from 8 ohms. Would it yield in louder/cleaner results? If my speaker's nominal is 8 ohms then I should keep my receiver at 8 ohms, right? If so then I'll keep it the way it is and ENJOY!

Thanks again,
-SI

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Different volume controls allow different levels of power at different numbers. The numbers are relative to that product only. As long as the amp isn't being overdriven the numbers mean nothing. As I have stated here before, it would be similar to looking at the speedometer on a particular car and deciding how fast it can go. Ignore the numbers and listen to the sound. When it starts to distort, turn it down! That's the truth.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Also, in reference to your original question: Cheap amps are not clean, that's why they are cheap.

Bronze Member
Username: Kev5

Post Number: 18
Fletcher,

I have a 7300ose. First off, I think the unit sounds wonderful for both 2 channel music and movies and I will be the first to admit that I don't pamper it.

My normal listening is with the volume at around -40dB. However, during parties or when I am watching 5.1 music dvds I have turned the volume to 0dB. Although this is very loud, the sound is very clear with no distortion.

The only issue I have is the receiver gets very hot because it is being driven hard(especially with the music dvds) and has no internal fan. I use an external fan to help dissipate the heat and it seems to work well.

I am driving PSB 5T speakers which are quite efficient (6 ohm, 92dB sensitivity). My listening room is 30ft x 14ft with 9 ft ceilings.

Although I can't answer your question about adding a power amp, it sounds like a good idea so hopefully someone reading this thread can answer that part of your question.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
If you are looking for more power please read some of the posts on this forum about what happens when you double the power output. Also look at what happens when you change to more efficient speakers. In regards to the fan on the amp you should have the fan on top of the unit drawing air through the reciever not pushing air into the reciever. In otherwords, have the exhaust side of the fan facing upwards. If you have to place a small spacer under your amplifier to get good air flow from the bottom to the top, do so, it will make the amp run cooler and last longer. If you can find a fan that runs off 250V you will get better performance and less noise than one that is meant for 120V.

Bronze Member

New York, New York USA

Post Number: 16
Kev5, at -40 the sound is barely audible. This said, My speakers are about 20ft away from me, since my room is really quite large. Also, I am thinking instead of adding more power, I'd add a really powerful subwoofer, which will probably add to the perceived loudness because of the physical aspect of "room shaking bass" during parties. Anyone comment on this?

Bartje
Unregistered guest
I am running the Marantz SR7300 with the KEF KHT 2005.2(mk2) surround set. A marvelous combination! Although the efficieny of the KEF-surround speakers (8 Ohm) is rather low, about 88dB/1W/1m, I never got the feeling that power delivered by the Marantz is not enough.
My normal listening level: ~ -30dB (my room is ~40 sq.m). I think that this level corresponds to -48dB since the volume range runs from -70 upto +18 whereas other amps have scales that run from -96 upto zero!
It took me some time to 'tune' the sub. Adjusting cross-over frequency and position in room is really worth to play with.

regards, have fun listening.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us