NAD separates or YAMAHA rxv1400

Username: Phenolite

Post Number: 1
OK, go easy on my guys i'm such a newbie it is downright sad :-)

I have decided to get Klipsch RF-7's mainly because my friend has KLF-30's and I love them for the price and overall performance.

now, there is a store that has a combo deal on NAD stuff C160 Preamp and C270 Amp. This is stereo, of course. Now, I am also considering a Yamaha RXV1400. The yamaha is cheaper and it is a receiver, giving me the option to add speakers, etc.

I just can NOT decide here, NAD stereo vs Yamaha multichannel. My room is not setup well for surround sound (not at all, actually). For this reason I am leaning more toward the NAD. I also want hardware that will go well with the klipsch's. I love how the klipsch's sound and I know NAD and Yamaha will be great...i need opinions from some audiophiles...please help!

ps: forgive me if this is in wrong forum!!

swampcat
Unregistered guest
I have klipsch KLF-10's the 30's little brother very similiar to the RF-7 dual 10's and horn tweeter also have SF-3's pretty much the same as RF series using speaker materials used in the KLF series. (No pretty gold woofers). Well being a klipsch fan i use them in stereo only using one 100 wpc adcom amp and another 200 wpc adcom power amp. I'm not a fan of Tv or movies and have no first hand knowledge of NAD amps but have read some good reviews of them and would say seperates will sound and perform much better than those multi channel rec. If your not into TV or movies stay with stereo and get seperates. Remember Klipsch speakers can be bright so give a listen to a couple of diferent amps and see what you like. Try to listen to them on klipsch speakers. Don't limit yourself just to what someone recomends. It seems everyone always tells you what they have is best and that may not be for you. I use klipsch with adcom and love the combo Others hate both. Decide on your budget and take your time.

Bronze Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 73
The C160 and C270 pre & power combo are one hell of a nice stereo bit of kit. If you're wanting to listen to music, or mainly music rather than home theatre then this is the way to go. Receivers can be ok with music if you spend a lot and if you tend towards home theatre as well but if not, there isn't much around to beat that Nad combo you mention. If it's going cheap then I suggest you get it and don't look back. You could always add a cheap receiver later if you feel the need for home theatre AS WELL. I watch dvd's through my Nad gear and it sounds fantastic....but I'm mainly in it for the music.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 420
Klipsch and Yamaha is not a combination I would want to be in the same area code with. Why not go with a NAD receiver like the 753 and have better sound and a multichannel system. There are other brands that work well with Klipsch like Marantz, Elite and H/K/.

Anonymous

swampcat - How do adcom's sound? More on the detailed side or on the warm side? I'm currently looking for an amp to combine with my old Denon avr.
Thanks!

Unregistered guest
No brainer. Buy the NAD.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 371
therealelitefan is right on the money.

either get the nad seperates.

or like he said a marantz/elite/hk reciever as all
of these should mate well with the klipsch.

also klipsch do very well for surround/movies so
if you decide to upgrade to home theatre any of
those recievers should do you nice for both.

or if your pretty sure your not going the theatre
route than just stick with the seperates.it's
your call on that one.

swampcat
Unregistered guest
The adcom amps i'm using are from 1985 and 1988. They are on the detialed side more so than warm. I'm using an adcom 545 and a 555II power amp (warmer than orginal 555). With a adcom 555 pre amp. I have used these amps with bright speakers such as Klipsch, Cerwin Vega! ,and Design Acoustics. I have read the new replacement amps for these models are the 5400 and 5500. I understand they are warmer than old, but I haven't heard for myself. Can only tell you this thru reviews read. Adcom has proven more than reliable though. My models are from the original manufacturer in New Brunswick NJ. Don't know if quality has changed ,since they switched hands and moved?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us