1st time subwoofer buyer looking for help

Username: Wdogan

San Francisco, CA

Post Number: 1
Hey there... I've got a NAD 752 receiver driving B&W 600 series 3 speakers (603 fronts, LCR600 center, DS6 surrounds). I'm considering adding a powered sub, but I've never had a sub before and have no idea how to choose one. I'm looking for some advice on selection. I'd really appreciate help with any of these questions...

(1) Is there any reason to buy a B&W sub to go with my B&W speakers? It seems like voice matching is sorta pointless given the sub's focus on bass, but I wanted to be sure.

(2) How much wattage do I need in a powered sub to accompany my system, in a roughly 15x30 foot room?

(3) What do I need to spend? Are the $500 subs clean and accurate? By spending more do I get a smaller size, better sound, or both?

(4) What subs would you recommend for, say, $500 or less? $750? $1,000? What do I get for spending more?

Generally I'm just looking for any advice or input before I sink another pile of money into my system. Thanks for your help!!!

Anonymous

try velodyne and use a Y cable splitter. just make sure, you can return it back w/ no charge just in case it don't work for you.

Username: Divinesin

Post Number: 9
If your looking at around 500 bucks i'de go with the Adire Rava, under 750 i'de go with the Adire Dharman. And for under 1000 i'de go with the SVS PB2-ISD.

If you were to compare the Rava to the ps2-isd, its about 4 rava's. Ps2-ISD is about Two dharmans. So it is the best bang for the buck.

Post Number: 10
Oh and no, you do not need to buy a B&W Sub to go with your speakers, as long as you get a good sub it will usually blend well with your speakers.

The Adire Rava is a very clean and accurate sub for the price. and for 440 shipped if you want to spend a low amount of money i'de go for that. Nothing will beat it at that price.

Anonymous

I have fORD cROWN vICTORIA WITH A VERY LARGE TRUNK AND i HAVE ABOUT 2 gRAND TO BLOW ON A HOTT SYTEM THAT IZ BUMPIN AND HS GOOD SQ.. PLEEZ GIV ME SUM ADVICE

Username: Neht

Westford, Massachusetts USA

Post Number: 7
Will D.,

M&K K-10 Powered Sub.. probably the best sub under $600.

M&K V-76 Powered Sub.. probably the best sub under $700.

M&K V-125 Powered Sub.. the best sub under $1000. Period.

All others (including Velodyne) don't measure up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I dont believe the M&K V-125 would measure up to a PB2-ISD. Due to the main fact that it is sealed, only goes down to 20hz. Is a single 12" driver, and only 125 watts.

Username: Neht

Westford, Massachusetts USA

Post Number: 10
"only goes down to 20Hz."

That's funny. Very few subs can even hit 20Hz under $1000.

Also you don't need a port to go below 20Hz either. MX-350 hits 18Hz and the MX-5000 hits 16Hz. The MX-5100 can hit 13Hz..

All have sealed enclosures.

I will agree the SVS IS pretty sweet, although I do love M&K.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I'm just saying even winth a nice clean bass it isnt the most powerfull of subs and i would rather go for something that can make you feel your in the middle of an explosion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us