Two Sources -- One Pair of Speakers

Username: Jscott_99

Post Number: 1
I have four separate amplifiers in my surround sound system, but the main control amp does not have a phono input. I've tried a phono amplifier and grounding, but still get a pretty bad hum.

The amp running my rear speakers is a really nice integrated (regular stereo audio) amp with both bypes of phono inputs, and I have a high-quality magnetic cartridge on my turntable. I'd like to be able to use this amp for my turntable, but the main front speakers I want it to power is already connected to another amplifier.

I believe they make a switch (I already have one) that splits a single sound source into two or three outputs in order to run it to different speakers, but I believe I need the opposite. Is there a switch that can take two sound sources and safely allow you to select a single source's input to power a single set of speakers??

Any other ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Hook the table into the integrated amp (rear) and send the signal from the tape outputs on the integrated to an unused input (any high level: tape, aux, etc.) on the front amp. Do no grounding between the amps.

Username: Jscott_99

Post Number: 2
J. Vigne,

Your suggestion worked great. Sounds wonderful. With this config, I'm now using gold plated phono inputs and the phono stage of a super amp, and I just have to turn one button to select the source (without even having to adjust the level).

My records sound wonderful again without any hum whatsoever.

Thank you so much for your advice.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
That's what I'm here for. The only request is you pass on the knowledge. Go downtown or to a mall and stop a passerby and tell them what you now know and ask them to pass it on, and so on, and so on ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us