Measuring Frequency Response...

Username: Tacomantt

Post Number: 1
Ok folks...

Moved to another home recently and my bass is now boomy. (Old place was right on). I have the desire to measure the frequency response of my system so I can better equalize things, but I am lacking a few things.

First, I own a RS SPL and have found some calibration adjustment tables to help equalize the meter. What I don't have is a set of tones (and perhaps software).

I planned on cutting a CD of tones, measuring the response, and plotting things by hand. In fact, I have no problem with this - it would be a good exercise, however if I want to try many new settings, I would want to automate things.

I figure I could hook up a microphone (or SPL) to my laptop and find some software compute the spectrum, but that is where I am less knowledgeable. I am unsure how everything comes together.

Do I have my thoughts/procedure correct? Any ideas on where to get tone generation CD's or WAV's? Any ideas on inexpensive spectrum analyzer software?

Thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11877

You are making this much more difficult than it needs to be. You can do all the things you "desire" and still have boomy bass of you don't know how to apply the basic rules of set up and room treatment, or if your room just isn't going to support the type of bass response you think you want.

Just put "subwoofer placement" in a search engine and read a few of the selections. Try a few techniques. Place "loudspeaker set up/placement" in a search engine and do the same. Go to the "Accessories" section of this forum to find questions on room treatments. Go to the "Articles" section of the forum to find articles on room treatments.

You don't need anything more than knowledge and a pair of good ears to set up a system with music and not test tones. If you intend to listen to test tones and not music, disregard that last comment. Otherwise, use the music you listen to and the movies you watch to get the sound you want. Or pay someone to come in an do it for you and watch and listen to what they do. That will probably still be cheaper than buying all the stuff you want to get this subwoofer placed correctly. And, if you buy all the stuff you think you desire, how often are you going to use it? Seems like a waste of money to me when you can get good to terrific results with some knowledge and effort.

If you just must own test tones and sound cards and microphones, use a search engine to find that crap too. But if you don't know what you're doing with the tools, you'll be like the guy with a shop full of Norm Abrams equipment who can't run a screw without stripping the threads. Most people probably don't need a 12" planer and most people probably don't need test tones and micropohones and all the other crap. If you really think that's the best way to go about this, go buy a subwoofer with automatic set up. That way you don't ned to know anything other than how to turn the thing on.

Just read and listen. Spend your money on music.

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 64
If you GOTTA have test tones:

http://www.rivesaudio.com/software/softframes.html

This disk is calibrated to the RS SPL meter.

Jan is right about this stuff:: It'll drive you nuts and most people simply don't know how to use it properly. You can get such variable results between 'tests' that you'll end up pitching the whole thing in the trash.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9466
Move it around and listen. It will become most obvious when the sub works best.

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 65
Do what Nuck said unless you are ABSOLUTELY dead set on driving yourself nuts.
An approved technique is called the 'sub crawl' where you put sub in your listening position than move around till sub sounds best.
Than put sub THERE........works fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us