Sony Bravia - Losing Power of Audio Sound

Username: Number90

Hales Corners, WI United States

Post Number: 1
Hello - Really perplexed as to why I'm losing power of audio signal when I was told I would get more.

Here is the skinny:
I have:
TV: Sony Bravia KDL-52XBR4
AMP: Denon AVR 1800
Speakers: Front Left / Right - Polk Audio Towers.
Center - Polk Audio. Rear Left / Right - Polk Audio "M" Series.
An HDTV cable box (provded by Time Warner of Wisconsin.
Plus a Subwoofer which has the front Left and Right speaker connections from the amp got to the subwoofer / then out of the subwoofer to the Front left and right speakers.

Hope this gives a good view of my system.

I was told to hook up a DHMI cable from the Sony Bravia to the Cable box. Then run a digital optical cable fromt the cable bax to the Denon AVR 1800 amp.

When I do this the sound is good but the volume range (which appears on the amp display as "from -60 "to" +3 max) when I had it hooked up to my old toshiba 32" tube or with my current cd player (sony 5 disc) will blow me out of the room at around -20... higher than that it would probably either auto-sutoff or start breaking windows (no kidding).

Now with the current set-up, if I want to really crank-up a movie I have to go all the way to -10 and can max it at +3 for a real theater shaking experience. But, although loud, I feel like there could be more at times.

Bottom line is this new hookup with the digital optical cable is somehoe sucking the true audio power the amp provides by an estimated 30-40%.

I removed the digital optical cable and replaced with original audio cables. I got more power but lost "Digital" reception - just gave me "analog." I re attched the optical digital cable and get "optical / hdtv" sound... but, again muted.

I try the cd player and it cranks.. either way.

So I narrowed it down to the digital optical cable. Bought another one - no help.

Any ideas??? Woould really appreciate some input.

And, just as a side note... if any of you "experts" want to address as to why digital optical cables fit so loosely in may components... I would be interested to know. Arent they supposed to be a universal fit?

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1786
Dean, this is the amplifier section - try Home Video.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us