Towers or Bookshelves???

Anonymous
I'm debating between JBL S310II towers for my main right and left speakers or JBL S38II bookshelves. I currently have a Denon 2803 receiver, JBL S36IIs for my surrounds, and have an SVS 25-31 PCi sub. I listen to 70% movies / 30% music.

Which speaker would you recommend and why?

timn8ter
Are you on a tight budget? You've got a good start on equipment, why do you need cheap speakers?

Anonymous
Yes, I am on a fairly tight budget (wife, $2,000 total). This is my first HT set-up so I thought I'd spend the money on the receiver and sub. I can always upgrade the speakers down the road and move these to another room in our house. I've heard that JBL's Studio series were decent for "entry-level" speakers. If anyone has experience with JBL's, please let me know. Thanks!

Arj
Since you have such a good Sub, go for the Bookshelves..they are less placement sensitive

Joong-In Rhee
There probably is better stuff out there for the money. Fluance is economical ($250 gets you 5 speakers). For under 2k, you can do better. I would check out monitor audio bronz series. They are built well, and have warm smooth refined sound compared to JBL. They are Stereophile magazine recommended. I would always check out the reviews by the pros, b4 shelling out hard earned mullah. I am happier with my purchases then.
If you get the Fluance which is enough for movies I think, you will have left over dough for a dedicated stereo system like NAD c320bee, and monitor audio bronz 2 speakers, if you want to get into music more - home theatres don't do music so well.
Get thick cables to hook them up - you will notice a difference - cables do reward, but stay under $100 for them.
If you educate your self and tweak your system, you will join the audiophiles and their exciting hobby. Make a jump to specialty shops, and your ears will thank you. You can spend the same amount to get better sounding stuff.
I would read reviews on www.hifichoice.uk.co and chat at www.audioasylum.com to have your questions answered.
This way, with a little bit of homework, you will end up with better sounding gears.
As far as home theatre, Fluance is probably enough.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us