Troubleshooting new system: 2 problems

Bronze Member
Username: Guillemot

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 17
Help! Maybe I've just set it up improperly. All seems right, though.

The issues:
1) Volume: maximum volume is un-impressive. I can have a conversation in a normal tone 5 feet in front of the speakers with the volume maxed.

2) Buzzing in mains and sub: With the sub plugged into the same wall outlet as the receiver I get a strange buzzing whether the input devices are on or off. Same when run through a surge protector (just the receiver, sub still plugged into wall). Turning the sub off does nothing. Unplugging the sub from the wall remedies it. Reminds me of ground-effect loops we had trouble with from my former life mixing concert sound. For that PA system we called an electrician. I don't remember exactly what causes them or how to fix them. Is this a proper diagnosis? What to do about it?

Equipment:
Denon DRA-397 2x80 watts stereo receiver
B&W 602 S3 mains
Klipsch KSW-200 sub
Sony CDP-C215 5 CD changer
Sony DVP-NS325 DVD player (haven't tried it yet)

Monster Standard 12-gauge speaker cable (bare wire leads)
Monster standard stereo cables from audio sources

The sub is run off the left and right B speaker outputs, mains off the A outputs

Thanks,
Jeff

Bronze Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 18
addendum: I put a ground lift on the power cable for the sub (i.e. 3 pin to 2 pin), and the buzz from the mains has become a hiss.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11870

So why don't you run the sub through the surge protector too? Ground loops occur when the ground potential between two components sits at different levels. Move the sub to the surge protector or the receiver to the same outlet as the sub; that puts the two at a better chance of being at similar ground potential. Unplug other components until the ground loop is gone. A common problem is a TV cable box on the same circuit. Cheater plugs aren't the best solution.

You have not provided sufficient information to even begin a guess at the volume issue with your main speakers. Does "volume maxed" mean you simply can't turn the control any further? And at that point there is no distortion? Have you tried anything to remedy this situation or just posted the problem here? Disconnect both speakers and the sub and then re-connect each piece individually and check for proper function. Check all input functions on the receiver, especially the tuner.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5757
Check to see if speakers are connected correctly, in phase...red to red etc.

Keep in mind that Denon doesn't have the most impressive power supply. B&W's sing best with high quality amplification.

All in all you should still be getting enough volume to make normal conversation difficult

Bronze Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 19
Jan,

I tried powering all the components from the same surge protector. The buzz is still only diminished if I insert a "cheater" plug on the sub power cable, even if all components but receiver and sub are switched off. Haven't tried putting it on any other components. There's no cable box that I know of.

Really working out the volume issue will have to wait a few hours, since someone is asleep upstairs (thought it would seem that with my problem, that shouldn't be an issue!). Generally, though, last night, we turned the volume knob to max (i.e. -0.0dB), heard no noticeable distortion, and did not have to speak very loudly to hear over them. I've checked the polarity of all the speaker cables. All are correct and in phase. None are shorting the others out (no stray copper strands). I'll try Jan's suggestion of disconnecting one component at a time and reconnecting to chase down the problem (if it's not just the power of the Denon, as Art has suggested). More later...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us