Martin Logan Montage Speakers with...

Username: Docwatson

Kanata, ON

Post Number: 1
Just bought a new pair of Martin Logan Montage and I'm wondering if anyone can provide any direction on what may be appropriate in a 100 wt per channel amp - NAD; Rotel; Marantz?

Thanks,

M

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9422
Go Sens.

MW, you bought the speakers without already having an amp and source?
What is it about the speakers that you like so much?

Kanata, ON

Post Number: 2
Yeah...<sigh>

I got a smokin deal on them and sampled through a couple of amps 75 watts per channel; NAD and Rotel. The reviews on these were very good and my buddy who used to own a store that handled Magneplan, BMW and Martin Logan swore by them.

They are incredible sounding when I compared them to Tannoy Eryis DC1; B&W 684 and Paradigm Reference.

Any feedback on an amp?

Cheers,

M

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 867
When u heard them on NAD and Rotel, do u remember which sound u liked the most?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11859

Boy, I'd sure take the advice of a good buddy who used to own a store that handled Magnepan, B&W and Martin Logan over the stuff you're going to get from a bunch of internet forum yahoos.

Of course, if that buddy actually sold BMW's, I'd be asking these yahoos for advice too.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11860

MW - Do you have $2-3k to spend on this amp? You can't run those speakers off a receiver, ya'know. I would think this is the cheap way out; http://www.parasound.com/halo/a21.php

Ottawa, ON

Post Number: 3
Jan, no unfortunately that's not within my budget. I had listened to them through a Rotel Rx1052 receiver, the NAD C372 Amplifier and another Rotel amp. I have about 1K to spend.

Thx,

M

Gold Member

Post Number: 9425
Refresh me please, guys. Can we bi-amp these speakers? If so, Marko I have a Rotel 5x100w power amp that needs to go to a good home.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11863

Too bad. That's what those speakers require as minimum quality, IMO.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9428
I agree. Those panels need lots of quality power.
The Rotel amp would be entry level. Just.

Ottawa, ON

Post Number: 4
I've looked at buying something used as well. My budget is 1K new or used....

I did have the Rotel Rx1052 receiver power them as well and it sounded great w/ lots of kahunahs

Thanks,

M

Gold Member

Post Number: 9432
Marko, PM me. The Rotel amp is pretty good, if just enough. Cheap.

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 57
Rotel RB1070 and there best stereo preamp will set you back 2 large, new. This is 130x2 and a pretty flexible pre. Apparently at low end of needed power? Add about 400$ for the 200x2 RB1080.
Outlaw stereo receiver is <1000$ and gets good reviews but is probably not enough power.

Pre-owned may be in your future?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11867

Maybe should have thought about this before buying speakers that like lots of very good watts. Spend $1k now knowing you'll need to spend more later? Not sure what you mean by "lots of kahunahs". Are you really considering loudness as the main critieria for the amp? What's important to you? The speakers will certainly play with lower quality equipment - but why?!

What does your friend who owned the shop suggest?

Username: Jhmtber

Post Number: 1
You do not need to spend 1-2 k for an amp. The ML Montage are NOT electrostatic speakers. I'm running a pair of Montage off an HK 3485 stereo reciever with 125 wpc rms. They also sound great on my Marantz 6001 wiA/V Reciever with 90 wpc Plenty of pure clean sound. The only thing I would suggest is a nice subwoofer to compliment the Montage.

Jim

Ottawa, ON

Post Number: 5
Thanks Jim. I just purchased the Rotel rx1052 receiver and rcd-1072 CD player to compliment the speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us