Speaker upgrade dilemma?

Bronze Member
Username: Darrenmc

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 34
I'm looking at upgrading my front speakers but I'm not sure which route to go so I'm looking for some opinions. I currently have Monitor Audio RS1's combined with 2 Angstrom Modular side-firing subwoofers and the Monitor Audio SLCR center channel. I finding I'm using my system for about 60/40 split between 2 channel and home theatre. I'm using an Arcam AVR300 receiver and my room is approximatley 16x12x7.
I'm contemplating going to floorstanding speakers or just upgrading the bookshelf's. I can get a pair of Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1's at cost for just under $2,500.00CDN and trade in the RS1's & Mod 8's and get 1/2 my money back as I have an audio friend who's selling his business and can do this before the new year. Or I can trade in my RS1's to where I bought them and buy the Monitor Audio GS10's. They also carry Paradigm/KEF/Acoustic Energey/Amphion/Reference 3A/ and JMLab lines as well. I always find the easiest way is to trade my stuff in rather than haggle and sell privately. The Gallo's look sweet and at that price is so tempting but I don't know if it's a good match with the Arcam receiver and how it will integrate with the MA center channel. I will not be able to demo the Gallo's though, it's a one time deal. Any opinions would be of great help. Thanks in advance!

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 866
Darren, good choice on the receiver. The Arcam is very good at both 2 channel and multichannel. For Home Theater purpose you need something bigger IMO up front than a bookshelf. You need a larger speaker to create that large, front sound stage. Try to keep the synergy, by keeping all the speakers the same brand. If you decide to get the Gallo's(very nice), I would upgrade to Gallo's all around eventually. Personally, I would move your RS1's to the back as rears, keep the center channel, and throw a new pair of RS8's up front. IMO.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9424
DM, if you can get the Gallos for that price, then do so.
Mike W has them, I am quite familiar with them and they are very very good.
Don't worry about integration, these speakers don't add much tonality of their own, just clean playback.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 946
Get the Gallo's and trade in the MA SLCR too. The Gallos have a 300 degree radius, you would not miss the center channel with them if the Arcam is as decent as Nick K says. I have a Denon Klipsh surround system which the Gallo's just killed, and that was running them with my old Carver, prior to my changing out to my old MAC.

There is a cohesiveness you get with the Gallo's which is hard to match unless you are running single driver speakers IMO.

If you upped the ante and added the Gallo SA (sub-amp) for the 2nd coil on the Ref. 3.1s you would never need a sub-woofer for HT.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9446
Options for the bass unit.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2356
Mike,

Do you have to run the 3.1s with the SA amp, or could you use any amp? Say I picked up a used Bryston amp - would that work? Just wondering.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9451
The 2nd bass coils require an active XO with seperate level controls, at least 24 db slope. I spec'd out Behringer XO's for this task, for a Classe ca200 amp.

http://www.behringer.com/CX2310/index.cfm?lang=eng

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2581
Darren,

You're not even allowed to demo the Gallos??? What the hell kind of deal is this? That's crazy. What's the dealer afraid of - that the Gallos can't compare with what you have? Walk away, in my opinion. Now, I'm no lover of the Gallos, but it just strikes me that this is an awful way to do business. Perhaps they're new, boxed, in which case that's fair I guess, but if they're a demo pair you should at least be given the chance to see whether they're to your taste.

As to the other brands you mention, KEF have a new range which looks interesting, Reference 3A have had many very favourable reviews and Focal (JMLab) have got to be worth a listen. I don't know the others. That said, the point of matching the speakers in the conterxt of your system is important. I certainly understand people suggesting you place the RS1s on the back and buy the GS10s up front.

Finally, what's the source (CD or DVD player etc)? If the source isn't up to much you may be better off spending your cash on that. You say you spend a high proportion of time listening to music. Do you have a dedicated CD player such as the Rega Apollo or at least a high end DVD player such as the Arcam DV137 to play music well? If not, consider this as a way forward. You'd be surprised what a bit of good timing can do for your music pleasure.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Darrenmc

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 36
Thanks Frank for the opinion. The reason I can't demo the Gallo's is the dealer(a friend) is getting out of the business and doesn't have a pair in his store to demo. He could get me a pair at cost as a favour but I can't fork out that kind of cash without listening to them. The CD source is a NAD C542. What I was thinking of doing was maybe buying the RS6's and the moving up to the Arcam CD73 to match components with my Arcam AVR300. Any thoughts on that idea?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5762
Darren I think your last system suggestion sounds well matched. Frank's mileage may vary..lol! He may like a little higher end source since the difference between the C542 and the Arcam is a bit of refinement on a very similar presentation.

I think that the difference may be a bit more than just slight however because of the other components you've chose. The MA speakers are able to pick up on the grain that the NAD adds to music that the Arcam doesn't and the Arcam AVR adds strength to the synergy that the system would exhibit. Just my opinion.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1791
I agree with you Art. I think perhaps a CD192, for quite a bit more dough would be the ticket to keep with the Arcam synergy and make a good bit of difference to the music - other than that, Frank's suggestion of the DV137 if video is needed, otherwise the Apollo is an absolute no brainer at price in between the CD73 and the CD192. Just my 2 cents worth.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2592
Hi Darren,

Sorry if I came across too strong. I was just really taken aback at what I'd read. It's niec of your friend to be able to get you somethign at cost of course, so it's a real bargain, but our opinions are just that - our opinions! And your opinion has every right to differ from mine. If you bought them unheard, how would you feel if they weren't to your taste? Then again, what's the 2nd hand price on nearly new Gallos? If it's about cost price you won't lose anything by trying them. You could look at it this way too.

I get where you're coming from on the CD73 synergy thing. The problem in my opinion is that this is too much of a good thing, and the CD73 is now beginning to look a little stale. Arcam need to upgrade the player in my view. Also, the CD73T's presentation may differ from the C542's but its level of fidelity is still in the same ballpark. OK, so it's not as good, but we're not talking a major mile here, more a minor 100 yards. For the outlay (including the cost of trade-in) I don't think it's worth it.

MR has hit the nail on the head with the suggestion of the Apollo. Unfortunately Rega have raised the price by 20% so it's not quite the giant killing wolf in sheep's clothing that it was, but it is still the performance benchmark for which to aim - that or better. It's a good combination with the Arcam too.

I am not a big fan of the CD192 unfortunately because it doesn't compete at the price with our other offerings. In some ways we feel the Apollo is better for a lot less money and for similar money, the Naim CD5i (and now CD5i) takes it to the cleaners for excitement and sheer brio. In some ways I prefer Arcam's DVD players to the CD192 - there's just something ever so held back about the CD192, but yes it's the more obvious ballpark to be in.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us