Amp for beta 50s

Username: J333

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone, I am a big car audio guy but Im trying to put together a home audio system for my fraternity house right now. Right now, we have a pair of Infinity Beta 50s and a pair of Beta 20s that we are going to run in our main room for music. We've got them running off of an old dying Onkyo reciever and we've got up to $500 to replace the reciever. Ive been looking at some of the Denon recievers that push around 110 to 120w per channel and am considering buying one of them. I was wondering if yall had any suggestions as to what reciever I could get (preferably as cheap as possible without getting crappy sq) and still push close to 250w through bi-amp to the Beta 50s. I am hoping to save some money on this because we are going to add some subs soon (Also, Im looking at power amps right now and I am probably going to go with a crown, however, I would rather go cheaper and I am wondering if Behringer, Tapco or Phonic are any good?) I am also considering going with a cheap pioneer that will push around 100w per channel. We are shooting more for spl, but I still want the system to have more than acceptable sq.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 861
A Denon that claims it does 120W will do roughly 60 percent of that in reality. And IMO Denon leave a lot to be desired in the SQ department. The Infinity Beta Series are a very good speaker for the money, and should have something half decent powering them. In your price range I would recommend looking at some H/K, Marantz, NAD, and some Outlaw stuff. If your going to be adding an amp later, dont worry so much about how many watts the unit does, as to how it sounds. The Beta's are not that hard to power I believe. When it comes to a Power Amp, if your looking for pure glass breaking volumes then your Pro Line amp choices are ok. But if you want sound quality, and something that would still bust your ear, then go with a nice Hi Fi power amp.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11852

If SPL is your primary objective, you should be using a speaker with another 6-10dB sensitivity. Take your $500 and head down to the local pro sound shop and listen to some powered (active) monitors. You should be able to find more than acceptable SQ and higher SPL's than the Infinity's can muster no matter how many watts you buy.

Post Number: 2
To Nick K: We are trying to avoid buying a seperate amp for the beta 50s, which is why I want to get a reciever that ouputs enough wattage. Im looking at the recievers and the only option I really see is a Marantz sr-18 but you can only find a couple on ebay, and I would like to go a little cheaper if I could.
Thank you for yalls help so far

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Post Number: 1630
http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=HK %203480-Z&status=

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue19/hk3480.htm

Post Number: 3
That actually looks like an amazing deal. Thank you, and because Im new to this bi-amping deal, this reciever outputs 120 watts out of the speaker A left channel, 120 watts out of the speaker A right channel, 120 out of B left and 120 out of B right correct? Just want to make sure that I will be giving the Beta 50s 240w a piece. Thank you

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9452
j, it is 120x2. running A+B will not bi-amp. Forget the watts, just trust HK to do what it should do, a better of the brands for spl.
You really shoulda got Cerwin Vega speakers.
A thousand strippers can't be wrong.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us