MP3 DAC?

Matthew Au
I have a stupid question... we all know a CD player or dvd player has a DAC that convert the digital signals picked up by the lasers and convert them to analog signals to be outputed via RCA cables. What happen to MP3 players or computer software like MusicMatch and Winamp? Is there a "DAC"? And who has the best "DAC" for software MP3 players?

I plan to hook up my old IBM laptop to my Yamaha home theater receiver to act as a mp3 player using minijack to RCA cables. That means I am at the mercy of the "DAC" inside the laptop (the software mp3 player), what are my options? What's best?

Thanks in advance,
MA

Derek
The same thing. The Sound card determines the sound quality (and to a lesser extent the playback program) of the final sound. Since you are talking about a laptop, I wont discuss souncard alternatives. There are a few external soundcards (see http://www.audioamigo.com/lapcards.html) most are USB. There are even a few that can convert the digital data directly into SPIF so your receiver does all of the DAC work. Also see www.3dsoundsurge.com

Hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us