Technics SL 220 how do I get it to work?

Username: Fashraf

Post Number: 1
Sorry to ask something that I'm sure many have already asked.

I bought this nice Technics SL 220 off a guy on Craigslist. At his house it was plugged into various amplifiers while I was there and worked great.

When I got it home and plugged into the AUX of my normal stereo I got very low output at first, and then no output at all later. The guy was kind enough to give me an old preamp he had. Now I'm getting very low output again. I'm pretty sure the pre-amp works, but I'm wondering if maybe I messed something up with the turntable? Basically since before I had some output even when it was just the turntable and now I get very low output even with a preamp.

When I got it home I rebalanced the tone-arm and I think that is fine -- the needle stays on the record and I get that tinny sound from the needle on it's own. I also removed the cartridge from the tone-arm when I was moving it around -- I took off the part that plugs into the tone-arm and then I have to tighten it in, it says Technics on it -- ie not just the cartridge itself but the cartridge and it's Technics housing (at least that's what I think it is).

Any advice on what I could adjust to get it to work properly? Do I need a better pre-amp perhaps? Or might my stereo (an old $200 shelf system by Panasonic and from Best Buy) just be too crap for this type of application? Or is there something on the table itself that needs adjusting but I don't know about? Advice please!

Thanks ahead of time.

Post Number: 2
PS I've got an Oyster cartridge that I was told was in good shape and I trust the person who sold it to me, seemed like a good bloke, and he did give me the preamp a few weeks later for free. And it did work fine at his place.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11840

http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm

Username: Sb299727

Post Number: 1
i purchased technics SL-BD20D and a pre-amp what else do i need to play records - can i hook it into home theater system ?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11875

Probably.

Username: Oldschool2424

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 2
Hey Fahad,

Your going to have to plug your pre amp and tt into another reciever or amp to make sure you havent screwed something up. Only way to test it without taking it to a shop. The preamp should just plug into your cd or tape input and then work. Make sure your tape monitor is not on on the amp and that all switches are set correctly. Since it is low level output from the tt, it is unlikely you screwed something up. It is just to low of a signal for an amp. But test on another unit and check all your switches for correct settings!

Post Number: 3
Thanks Mike, that's what I'm planning on trying, as soon as I can get my hands on another (proper) amp!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us