Best HT Speakers under $1000?

Anonymous
There is so much good information on the internet on which speakers and receivers are best. I have about $1250 to spend on the receiver & speakers together.

After reading all the info I can on receivers it is pretty obvious that most people like Denon, Onkyo, H/K best, and I will buy one of these three as well. Probably H/K AVR-325, Onklyo TX-SR601 or Denon AVR-1803

When it comes to speakers I am more confused than when I started. So many reviews saying this speaker or that is awesome. I think I like the Home Theater Direct Level II ($550) or III ($800), Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 ($650), Infintiy Entra Point 5 ($500) or the Athena Point 5 ($800).

This system will be 50/50 music and movies. Room is smallish 12' by 17'. Any opinions pro/con on these speakers or others that may make my final decision a little easier?

Derek
I own the Point 5 and am quite satisfied with them. They are great music speakers and handle movies equally as well. I bought a returned set for under $250.

Definitive Technology leans a little more towards home theater, like JBL and Klipcsh. Very good for dialogue but lacking in the airy, smooth, broad imaging typical of music speakers. They are great for jazz though.

Infinity speakers are very efficient so they shouldn't require a great deal of power to get them cranking. I've owned Infinity before - they were OK. Their high-end stuff is very good though and they do sell some nice sub-sat systems.

Have a look at Now Hear This (see http://www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?170), Paradigm (see http://www.hometheatermag.com/shownews.cgi?171 and Energy (see http://www.guidetohometheater.com/showarchives.cgi?40) systems. You should be able to get what you want for around $1000 or less.

Others in this forum have suggested that a good music speaker will be a good Home Theater system. I agree. A smooth, detailed music system with good imaging will sound better than some of the loud discotheque Home Theater systems being sold.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

observer
Are Entra Point 5 package better than Sony SA-VE535 one?

observer
Is...

Derek
Whoops! My bad. I own the Athena Point 5s.

Sorry.

Hawk
I have another suggestion. One Call (www.onecall.com) is currently offering a HT package of a much better receiver, the H/K 525, together with NHT SuperOnes, SuperCenter, and a Phase Tech Power 10 subwoofer, all for $1222.00.

Check it out.

Mmsd
Has anyone actually heard these definitive 60s, I have a pair of their bookshelves for music only and find them excellent.

I have just completed the Acoustic Research Hi-Res Set (2 AR1's, 2 AR4c's, 1 AR2C) and with only 100 watts at my disposal via a JVC RX-1028, I would compare it to ANY (that's right I said ANY) high end setup from anybody!

timn8ter
I think he meant $1000 for all the speakers, not just one.

Cav
I just bought a set of ProCinema 60s. The sound out of them is great. They image very well. They also intergrate very well with the sub when hooked up in a sub/sat configuration as recomended in the instruction manual. I did try hooking the fronts to the receiver and using a low pass signal to the sub but it did not sound as good as the recomended set up. The subs bass can go very low with out any problem. I would highly recomend demoing a set of these if you have the chance, you will not be disapointed. Plus they even got my wifes astetic approval in our newly finished basement.

AdamT
I have a set of Pro Cinema 100s and they sound remarkably good for their size. When I bought them they came with a sub that isn't made anymore, but it seems quite similar to the one shipping with the Pro 60 package. It's a pretty darned good sub too! Def Tech really has some quality speakers up and down their line. I'm thinking of buying one of their new Mythos centers and possibly adding the towers at a later date.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us