JL Audio Gotham, Holy subwoofer batman!!!

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 522
Wow, earlier this year i made a post on JL Audio entering the HT world with its monster Fathom subwoofer. Well, now they have redifined monster. Not sure if anyone here has came across this sub yet, but I can only imagine its potential considering its specs and that its made by JL.
Dual 13.5" drivers, 3800 watt RMS amp, 4 inch woofer excursion, 360 pounds, and priced at a moderate 11000.
If anyone gets their hands on one of these I will personally fly you and the sub over to my place and treat you to a sporting event, dinners, whatever just so I can get a weekend listen.
I can only imagine what this beast sounds like.
And it one of the finest looking subs I have ever seen.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 437
A little bit out of my league, budget wise...

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9399
Yikes!

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 1607
Speaking of Batman, I saw the 6-min. prologue to The Dark Knight, the sequel to Batman Begins, last knight in IMAX. Wow! I can't wait.

I may nee to rethink my whole set-up before this thing gets released to DVD.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2716
JL Gotham < Well-Designed DIY

But, the Gotham is a great offer for someone who doesn't want to build!

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 155
Andre, i dont know about it not being better then a diy. given for the price for sure i would go diy. but both the gotham and fathom are ridiculously good subs. They blend into the frontstage better then any sub i have ever heard. A bit better then my DIY EBS sub.

My only gripe with them is that they are sealed and thus to get the low end performance for movies they are going to be drawing 1000s of watts, which is not always an advantage. although it is extremely controlled. They are also beautiful, and have a "EQ" (it selects from preset eq settings so its not perfect) that helps allot.

Silver Member

Post Number: 523
do you guys know of any dealers that have display models. i still cannot believe this thing weighs 360 pounds. maybe 10k of the 11k selling price is in shipping.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2717
Yes, they are good subs!

My reasoning for DIY being able to compete is that you could use a couple Audiopulse LMS Ultra drivers with 10kw in a slightly larger enclosure and get more performance for less money.

Umm...

JL/Audiopulse

$11k/$8k total, Amplification $2k, Drivers $4k, Enclosure $2k

52lb per driver/80lb per driver

3800w/10,000w

13.5"/18"

114dB@20hz/120dB@20hz

You'd obviously giving up more electricity, so that'd be the disadvantage. Another might be that it'd be slightly larger.

$2k for the enclosure makes for a pretty hefty enclosure.

That might weigh over 800 pounds, maybe another disadvantage.

Of course, you'd have to build it and then make your comparisons.

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
I totally understand and couldent justify that much money when i could build it and take pride in it. I wish i had the $ to play with those LMS drivers they look ridiculous.

using power is neglegable as you would rarely ever get even close to using say 5k watts. and if you got the money to build it you got the money to pay for the power.

Also i think they are underpowering the gotham, i think its on purpose to save some money and too make sure they dont blow people's breakers. Safe for the house.

you would however need to rewire outlets and breakers to support the amps to power the LMS drivers. reduce line sag and support that obnoxious amount of power. which would add to the price, not that its a bad thing it just would add to the badass effect of it. "Ooh yea i had to double the gauge of the wires going to the outlets, and give each amp their own breaker just so i can watch movies"

So i totally agree with you, but for those not skilled and have the cash i would say go for it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 524
speaking of DIY, if i were looking for a subwoofer in the $400 range, such as an HSU or Energy, are their any DIY projects that I could do that would compare performance-wise for this price. Or do DIY typically only done for high-end subwoofers?

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
as far as ht DIY there are many many levels just like any other speaker decision.

and as for performance wise i think for ~400 you could get a pretty good sub goin that would beat out the hsu/energy just by a bit.

check out http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers/
for more info and questions. theres not a whole lot goin on there but they are a very helpful group.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us