Looking for a nice home system.

Bronze Member
Username: Allstar71

Jefferson, Ga

Post Number: 56
I don't know if this is the right place for this post but here it goes.

I am very new to home audio. I have spent a lot of time with car audio all the major players are different.

I am looking to purchase a nice stereo for my house. I am looking to spend $1,000 on the setup initially but I want to be able to upgrade later. Where do I need to begin? Any recommendations would be great. I am starting completely from scratch. And I am not opposed to building by own speaker enclosures if necessary (my dad owns and I work at a very high end millwork company). I would only need help with the acoustical details I can draw the plans in AutoCAD.

I would like the ability to fill a large room with vaulted ceilings and maintain good sound quality.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9383
David, if you are going to have to compare home and car audio systems, you are going to need to listen really hard, and maybe learn how to listen.
Building bass kits for cars is a whole lot different than an open room, in every way.

I suggest you drop everything you heard in cars and just go out and listen at various dealers.
If all you listen to is bass orientd music(happens in car stuff) then look for that.
If your tastes are more varied, then you have to explore that as well.
I am not anti-car(had a few) but I am anti imbalance in musical reproduction.
An Oppo dv player is as cheap as you can start, and I recommend starting with the source.
Various pc based options are also there. As long as no MP3's!

Bronze Member
Username: Allstar71

Jefferson, Ga

Post Number: 57
I bult my car system not for bass but for sound quality. I listem to all kinds of music and I want an audio system that can reproduce the sounds that I want. I have several thousand dollars in my car system and it is all geared toward accruate reproduction of the music. I would like to do the same with this.

Really I just want some info on nice brands of home audio without getting really expensive.

I want what focal, diamond, and CDT are to car audio I'm not looking for something like mcintosh.

Where can I get the components to build my own speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 832
David, a lot of budget audio equipment out there that sound pretty good. Here is just a few brands to look into, NAD,Rotel,Outlaw Audio and H/K. Speakers? PSB,Paradigm,Klipch, and more. For the whole system to be a 1000 dollars, your probably going to have to stick to something like H/K / Oppo / PSB Alpha setup. Just a recommendation. There is so many brands out there, you really have to listen to some.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2334
Focal also builds home speakers. Look into JM Labs Focal speakers. Their Chrorus 700v series starts at about $450. It stretches the budget, but if you like Focal stuff, you may want to save up some more money for them.

The brands mentioned by Nick are very good as well.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9388
Source. Within that budget, I like Oppo dvplayer, H/K and either AlphaB from PSB or NHT classic 3, if you can find the $.

Bronze Member
Username: Chrisgwd

California

Post Number: 18
David,

Sorry for the late post, hope you get this. The HTGuys put on a very good podcast. The equipment they talk about is in your range (they don't really talk much about the higher end stuff). They recently did a review of HT in a box system. Here's the link to that show.

http://www.htguys.com/archive/2007/November30.html

The link is to a summary text page. Listen to the MP3 file or get it through iTunes if you can. Their discussion is useful as well.

Good Luck!
Chris

Bronze Member
Username: Chrisgwd

California

Post Number: 19
PS - also, check out the KEF system. There is a super deal on them right now. MSRP - $2999, On Sale $999. It's a discontinued set or some such thing, but might be a good place to collect some solid core pieces.

Snoop around the HTGuys store...they are a storefront for Amazon.com and have other pretty good deals.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us