4 pair of front speakers for truly huge sound?

earvana
Is it feasable to use 2 sets of front speakers for hi fi stereo listening? I'm thinking of beefing up my sound, for a truly room filling sound (you know, the kind where you can keep the volume lower, but still getting the impression of hugeness). Are there preamps with 2 sets of outputs so I could do this? I also wonder if you'd really need 2 matched sets of speakers to keep the frequencies from clashing..hmmm.

Anonymous
I am in no way an audiophile but I do love my music. I don't see anything wrong with having 2 pairs of speakers in your living room.

In fact I not only have 2 pairs of stereo speakers in my living room, but I also have a 5.1 system and a second sub aswell.

I have 5.1 speakers connected to the (A) output of my Digital Amp for my movies. Then I have an additional 2 stereo speakers connected to the (B) output of the amp. A further 2 stereo speakers and a sub are connected to my HI-FI.

I play the 4 stereo speakers together (these are not matched pairs as I have 2 that are fantastic for bass and 2 that are not too bad at bass, but better at mid/low frequencies.

I can imagine quite a few audiophiles turning their nose up at my setup but it works for me, as I like my music LOUD. When I'm on my own, it's not uncommon for all 9 speakers and 2 subs to be on ;-)

Hawk
About 30 years ago, when I was in high school and just getting into HiFi, I had a friend whose father was a big opera nut. This guy had a full McIntosh stereo driving four Klipsch Corner speakers (5' tall each, with something like 15" woofers and huge horn tweeters). The sound was absolutely awesome. One Friday night, when dad was out of town, my friend cranked up some of his rock records at a level he liked. I lived a mile away and I could actually hear it. Drove over to see him about the same time the cops arrived. We had an interesting night.

There is no problem with driving two pair of main speakers, provided your speakers have a high enough impedence rating that it doesn't melt down your receiver. Any pair of 8 ohm nominal speakers should be alright. Depending upon the receiver and the speakers, you might be able to get by with two pair of 6 ohm nominal speakers. Anything lower requires an NAD receiver (which is capable of handling a 2 ohm load). Also, you need serious power to push four speakers, but most HT receivers should be able to handle it.

Other than that, I see no problem

timn8ter
If all you're going for is loud your idea will work. If you're looking for quality sound, more is not better. Certain things start happening in a room with multiple sound sources. The most common is known as "comb filtering" which is an effect of overlapping frequencies from multiple sources cancelling each other out. If that doesn't bother you go for it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us