Receiver Upgrade?

Bronze Member
Username: Kbear

Post Number: 34
I started a thread in the speaker section about getting either the Tannoy Mercury F2 or the Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 for my Denon UD-M50 mini system, www.denon.ca/hapdfs/udm50.pdf My concern was whether the 9.2s would be too tough to drive for the little guy.

It's actually been suggested to me that I should perhaps look into upgrading the Denon amp. That it probably wouldn't be able to get the most out of the Wharfedales, or even the Tannoys for that matter. My current speakers are Energy C-1s. I always thought the Denon was plenty powerful for my use, the speakers go more than loud enough, but the sound never was as smooth or full as I'd like it. I always thought this was a speaker thing, but maybe it's not. I don't hate the sound at all but these are the flaws I notice. I was hoping that the new speakers would add some warmth and smoothness to the mix.

How much of an upgrade in sound could I expect if I just move into a H/K stereo receiver and a basic H/K CD player? I feel a little silly about buying the Denon for $500 when it would have cost about the same for a two piece H/K setup. I guess it was a small room and so I got it in my head that a mini system is all I need and how could I go wrong with Denon?

But now I'm thinking maybe it's the weak link. So H/K becomes an affordable option. Or rather than H/K, I could spend a few hundred more to get into the NAD C-720BEE.

Just wondering if you guys concur that this particular Denon is not up to par and if upgrading it is a better bet than upgrading the speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9351
Dan, source,then amp, then speakers.
Hang on, put your room before the speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 1586
If you've got the itch to upgrade already, I would suggest eBaying off the mini-system & starting fresh.

Follow Nuck's advice.

Bronze Member
Username: Kbear

Post Number: 35
CM, I definitely have the itch right now. But I've had the Denon and Energy combo for about three years. So it wasn't a brand new purchase that I have regret over.

This stuff is pretty addictive. I'm already planning future upgrades...like getting the NAD amp and CD player now with the Energys, a few years on then upgrading those to something in the $1,000 range (EPOS M12.2 or something like that), then maybe a year or two after getting a Rega Apollo. I've got actual products running through my mind for upgrades years down the line! It's like relax, one step at a time man!!

But it seems like I've got a short term plan to focus on. I think it's prudent to sit on it for a month or two and then come back to it at that time. No sense rushing into a purchase.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us