Ohm and wattage question

jo
If I understand it correctly you can replace an 8ohm speaker with up to 2 16ohm speakers correct???? and also replace a 4ohm speaker with up to 2 8ohm or 4 16ohm speakers correct????

What about the wattage???? If i replace a 200 watt 4ohm speaker with an 8ohm speaker does the 8ohm speaker have to be a 200 watt speaker or does the wattage not count ????

timn8ter
From a strictly theoretical standpoint; two sixteen ohm speakers wired in parallel will have an impendence of 8 ohms. For two devices of equal resistance: series = R*2, parallel = R/2. Wattage is important from the standpoint of how much power coming from the amplifier the speakers can handle. If you lower the resistance of the speakers the wattage coming from the amplifier could increase by as much as 50%. The rule of thumb is don't turn up the volume more than what your speakers can handle. If they start distorting, turn it down. You can have a 1000W amp driving 70W speakers if you keep the volume down. As I said though, this is theoretical. The reality is there are many other factors to consider. For example; check this link. http://www.churchsoundcheck.com/imp1.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us