Stereophile: 2007 Products of the Year.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 813
http://www.stereophile.com/features/1207poty/

Thought it's worth checking out.

PSB Alpha won budget product of the year. The Apollo won Top 10 cd player of the year, as well as Budget cd player of the year.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9325
I told y'all those little Alphas are good.
Miles away from the ones I have, but those won as well, I believe, 10 years ago.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 1564
I need to hear them again, I didn't think too highly of them first time around.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9326
Sweet on a weighted stand, CM. Well coupled.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1566
The listening room where I heard them absolutely sucked.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9328
Smaller space, well damped.
Higher power than expected(as usual).
Toe 1/2 to listening position, ear height.

Joe Cocker at higher levels.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1568
Small room, Glass windows, tile floor.

Plenty of power.

On shelf, no breathing room, about ear height (perhaps a bit too high).

Obligatory depressing Nora Jones, ran out of room screaming.

Been in counseling ever since.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9331
Perhaps a couch...

@80$ per hour

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 338
Speaking of Stereophile. How do you guys like the various HiFi press. I have only picked up occasionally.
Read the most recent 3 Absolute Sound which seems to more closely agree with much of the taste here.
As opposed to the What HiFi Sound and Vision, who are not that fond of various Rega gear.
Both A.S. and What... like Naim though.
Have read Sensible Sound. Jazz Times also has hifi reviews which seems to concur with much of this forum.

Silver Member

Post Number: 840
yeah, it seems certain magazines favour certain brands more than others.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2339
Is it just where I am or are What Hifi? (Not What Hifi Sound & Vision) and Hifi Choice no longer around? They weren't available at a smaller Barnes & Noble the last few months, and now a large one doesn't have them either.

What Hifi always rubbed me the wrong way. They have little if any love for gear I like. They seem anti Rega and Naim.

My favorite was/is Hifi Choice. Their tastes ran pretty close to mine. They also do group blind tests with designers and other writers. They've had a designer of a product or two prefer a different machine in a blind test. How's that for honesty? I'm not talking about double blind A/B tests, just evaluating a piece sonically without knowing which is playing.

And they've had a respectable number of unfavorable reviews.

But, most mags nowadays are reviewing stuff that's way too expensive for me. Its fun reading about a $30k pair of speakers or CD player every now and again, but they should come back to Earth for at least one or two pieces in every issue.

Silver Member

Post Number: 848
Stu- What HiFi and Hifi Choice I still see on the shelf at the local Chapters I get my magazines from. I agree with you. What HiFi it seems always have these brands nobody has ever heard of that cost 10's of thousands of dollars. HiFi choice do everything.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 351
I just went and bought HiFi Choice from Barnes and Noble today. It is the HiFi Awards 2007 issue.
They have awarded best in price range. For example, CD Player:
Under 500 pounds =
1- Cambridge Azure 749C
2- Marantz
3- Denon
500 to 1000 pound
1- CA Azure 840C
2- Apollo
3- Quad99 CD S
1000 TO 2000
1- Saturn
2- Unison
3- Cyrus
2000 to 5000
1- Marantz etc

On their Buyers Bible, Apollo is still the best cheapes cdp.
There is so much gear on the market that I never heard of, or if I heard of it I don't know anything about it. Some of the winning turntables are Funk Firm. ???
It knocks me out to browse the photo galleries at AudiogoN! There is a LOT of expensive stuff out there. I don't know any of those people. I do know a lot of musicians, non who have any decent hifi gear. I have a few friends and relatives with expensive home theater, bought for movies and sports, not geared for music. Really, I don't know anyone with a great hifi, and I know a lot of people.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2340
Kevin,

I just saw it today at a different B&N.

Funk Firm are huge right now in the UK and Europe. I think they're a new company started by a few guys from Rega. If I'm not mistaken, Roy Gandy (the "ga" in Rega) stated in an interview that he was very happy that the guys left and started their own business, and he hopes they succeed.

Kind of like a few apprentices who move on.

I too have no audiophile friends. I've tried to get friends and family into it, but to no avail.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us