Replacing HK3480

Username: Sbw6234

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to decided if I want to replace my HK3480, which I just had repaired and it when out again with the new HK3485. I'm leery of going with another HK, but it seems to be the best 2 channel option. I use this receiver to power 3 pairs of outdoor speakers run through a Sima (120watt) speaker selector. Do I have any better options for under $500.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 789
Best 2 channel option for under 500 dollars? hmmmm I dunno. Some entry level NAD integrated amps you may want to look at. Along with some others that people will be along to add as well.

Username: Noway

Post Number: 9
3 pairs at the same time?

Even high current stereo receivers/power amplifiers may have problems driving 3 pairs of speakers at the same time without breaking. Do you really need 3 pairs? Why not one pair and turn it up?

I guess you could use 3 of these:

http://www.jr.com/audio-source/pe/ASO_AMP100/

..but I think I saw a cheap multi-channel (not home theater) amp with 8 or 12 channels cheap recently but can't remember where.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9307
SW, if your speaker selector is not autoformer based, you may have issues with any receiver.
Autoformer selectors enable individual volume controls with some models as well.
These selectors present a stable 8 ohm load to the receiver, regardless of individual speaker loads.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 1546
If the HK is now working, I'm wondering why you would want to abandon it? It's an excellent receiver even for the scrutinizing listener.

But if you insist, Norway's idea is a good one, but you can get a better deal at Amazon (I'd go with the refurbs for $74) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00026BQJ6 , You can get away with only two amps, use one in A+B mode, and set up a zone-two with the other. If you really need another amp, buy another.

Review: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_3/audio-source-amp-100-amplifier-7-2004 .html

Post Number: 2
Christopher, my HK3480 went out for the second time the first time was my fault I shorted the speaker wires, the second time I was moving my sub to another location and it went out so I have decided to replace instead of repair. I'm not familiar with how to use the amp set up! I do need to drive 3 pairs of speakers (different locations)

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 1547
Then consider three Audiosource Amp-100s. It's as simple, good, and inexpensive a solution as you're likely to find.

Does the HK3480 work at all, or is it dead?

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 570
The HK should not be damaged by improper speaker wiring, it has a protection circuit for this. If the speakers are improperly wired- reversed polarity or shorts from individual strands of wire touching each other on + and - side, the receiver will go into immediate protect mode and on the display it will say "protect". If it fails to do this and is damaged needing repair then the unit was faulty initially. If you need to run this many pairs of speakers check into a multizone amp, Adcom and Niles come to mind.

Post Number: 3
Eric, the HK originally did not go into the Protect mode and had to be repaired replacing I think the output circuits. The last time (currently) it went to the Protect mode and I can not reset with everything unplugged and was told by HK that I would need for a service person to go into. So I decided not to spend anymore money on this unit and want to replace.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9341
SW, please see the above post for autoformer controls.

Post Number: 5
Fellows thanks for the much needed feeback. I have a couple of questions before I buy. If I go with the HK3485 how do I hook up additional amps, in the preamp side or amp out and by using additional amps do I lose any quality and do I gain al the additional watts, example HK 3485 has 120w plus 100 w amp do I now have 220w? The other question is I saw a good deal on a Marantz SR7400 105x 7ch is there a way to hook this up to the 3 pairs of speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 177
steven, if you were to hook up the amp, you would be only be using that amp, once you hook it up, the amp portion of the H/k will be disabled so it wont be in use, as for the marantz, I couldnt tell you because I havent heard it.

Post Number: 6
Fellows thanks to all that replied and provided input to my question. I decided to go with the HK 3485 receiver and at this time it is performing well with the set up I discussed earlier powering 3 pairs of speakers with seperate volume controls.

Silver Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 182
congrats on the perchase, i just ordered me the older model, the H/K 3480 from harman audio, it will be arriving today.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us