Pro Amps for Home Audio

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2684
I've seen some people using pro amps to power their home systems.

Why would they do that? My guess would be because they're more powerful and a lot of people believe that the more reserves you have, the better the sound?

One person was using a Crest 10001 on each of his mains at 4-ohms bridged (or 2, can't remember) to power the woofer arrays. Why would you need 15-16kw to power a set of 8 12" woofers that are already 10% efficiency (102dB 1w/1m)?

My guess on that one is that you want as much headroom as possible. 2kw a woofer with 16 total...gee... that would mean almost 150dB output capability...

You only need like 105dB output per channel for dolby reference levels. What's the other 45dB for? A rock concert?

But...what do you guys say about pro amps with home audio speakers...

And what would happen if they started using McIntosh 2kw amps in movie theaters?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11788

"And what would happen if they started using McIntosh 2kw amps in movie theaters?"

Ticket prices would go up.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 779
Andre- I would take a McIntosh amp any day over ANY professional line amp in the market. Professional amps seem to provide large amounts of power, but lack in fines and sound quality that a high end hi-fi amp provides. Such as a McIntosh. Pro amps such as QSC are used world wide in large Cenima theaters, because, yes, they can provide a large amount of head room, to fill a very large space, but sound like crap. When have you been to the theater and been overwhelmed by the amazing sound quality? lol. Not me, its just really loud. I have sat in many home theater set ups including my own that blow away most theaters for pure sound quality/clarity. Let me know if you know of any theaters planning on using McIntosh, as Jan and I might start going to see movies again.

Whats with all the Decibel talk? Your system should sound good from 50db right up to your pain threshold. Get something that sounds good Andre, not sounds loud.

http://www.coolmath.com/decibels1.htm

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 402
Nick is right. Those bad-boy pro rigs are meant for one thing. Volume... when was the last time you were at a wedding reception or a bar and you thought "man, that system sounds GOOD"?

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2685
Well, I've been to a wedding reception and thought "That's too loud!" ... Of course, you already knew that probably.

I guess those guys using pro amps in their HTs just like it LOUD, with the exception of subwoofer amps.

In terms of subwoofer amps, I don't think you could really tell the difference between a $300 Behringer EP2500 with 2000w RMS output and a $30,000 McIntosh Quad-Balanced Amp with 2000w RMS output...

Of course, I haven't actually tried it, so I don't know.

I plan on using a Crown CE4000 to provide the power for my subwoofer system which will be going into construction most likely around January. I already talk about it in another thread, but the drivers are designed to be very low in distortion and non-linearity up to the edge of their xmax. Looking at their distortion graphs and using a modeling program, I figure less than 10% THD at over 120dB at 13hz. Of course, it's going to stay below 1% above 30hz until you pass 125-130dB or so.

Using a pro amp shouldn't hurt the performance much, if at all. I can't afford two McIntosh 2kw amps anyway...

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 53
Does the pro thing apply to Bryston as well?
They make amps for pro market and consumer, both seem to be identical? At least specs are the same.
I am referring specifically to the 4B SST and 3B SST amps.
All Bryston gear looks to also have a 20 year (gasp!) warranty....tranferable under correct conditions.
I am sorely tempted...........

Silver Member

Post Number: 801
lol Leo, Bryston is in a whole other league than companies like QSC or Crown. I think everyone in the right mind is tempted by Bryston. I know I am.haha.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 417
I'm tempted too, but 4k for a 2 channel amp is a little much for now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 805
yup. Although my dealer said he would give me the 4b for 3200 taxes in. Boo yah...still a bit too much at the moment.lol

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11798

Everything is on sale when it isn't in stock and you're not buyin'.

Silver Member

Post Number: 807
lol, he hasnt failed me yet with false prices. But I know what u mean.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us