HELP whats the difference

Username: Theodorx

Bergen, Hordaland Norway

Post Number: 1
Hey there please help me!

I guess I am a bit out of date here, but I do need to know what is the difference between a MM phono player and a MC one. I am trying to connect my vinylplayer again and need a pre-thingy. I have a Sony PS11 Direct Drive phono player and a Densen system.

please out there,

sincerly slightly confused Norwegian

theodor

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11784

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_cartridge

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/word/movingcoil

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 881
The Adikt I use is MM and works perfectly for me. Eventually I will upgrade the tonearm and cartridge, but for what the Linn delivers now I need not incur this expense anytime soon. I know it can be better, but all in time. DC motor will probably be my next upgrade.

Bergen, Hordaland Norway

Post Number: 2
thanks, but still a bit confused.
How can I know what my Sony PS 11 is? Is it the cartidge or the turnable that tells the difference?

or am I on a different planet here?

terje

Bergen, Hordaland Norway

Post Number: 3
well,
after reading the wikipedia properly I know think I know the answer to my Q. I have a MM cartidge. Thanks again, guys

Terje

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2549
Terje,

An MM cartridge produces about 2.5mV of signal. A CD player or tuner is around 2V - about 1000 times more. An MC cartridge produces around 0.2 - 0.6mV (10,000 to 3000 times less than a CD player!). Also, in order to get a signal into the width of a groove, the frequencies have to be compressed to fit. This is the famous RIAA curve (usually). A phono stage both decompresses the signal and boosts it to something nearer 1.5V, or only a bit less than a typical line level device. In rare cases, they have enough gain to boost the signal as much as line level.

Densen amps don't come with a built-in phono stage as standard. Densen make a good phono stage but I seem to recall they had a few problems with the diode they used, so beware, or at least check with Densen that they have resolved this problem. There are many phono stages on the market.

A Densen system deserves a better turntable. The minimum I would want to pair it with would be a Rega P3-24 with a £100 MM cartridge like the Ortofon 2m Blue or Goldring 2300. That Sony would be holding things back...a lot!

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2301
"The Adikt I use is MM and works perfectly for me. Eventually I will upgrade the tonearm and cartridge, but for what the Linn delivers now I need not incur this expense anytime soon. I know it can be better, but all in time. DC motor will probably be my next upgrade."

Where did this come from? Actually Mike, its a good thing you mention this. I was waiting to ask you if you considered getting a new cartridge? When I A/B'd the Adikt and Dynavector 10x5 on my Xpression, the 10x5 blew it away. On a deck like your LP12, the differences should be greater. Don't get me wrong, I really like what Linn does. But the 10x5 does everything so much better to my ears for the same money. Keep in mind I listen to a lot of what you listen to.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2302
"A Densen system deserves a better turntable. The minimum I would want to pair it with would be a Rega P3-24 with a £100 MM cartridge like the Ortofon 2m Blue or Goldring 2300. That Sony would be holding things back...a lot!"

My thoughts exactly. The Sony deck is like a broken toy compared to Densen gear. Densen makes way too good of a product to be held back like this. Get you're money's worth - Buy a Rega or dare I say Linn LP12!!!

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 888
Where did this come from? I figured not many folks would weigh in in favor of MM.

Thanks Stu, I will certainly give that consideration. From all I heard the Adikt mates extremely well with my Ittok LVII Tone Arm.

If can find a Dynavector 10X5 or I think Frank was very fond of the Dynavector 17D3 to demo I would jump at the chance. It would take some convincing however if I had to just lay out either $350 or $895 with a no return option. I would appreciate other opinions on this. This is one of those foreign concepts out of left field for me Stu, so no offense. I trust your input but would like to hear if anyone else tried this with a Linn etc.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2555
Mike,

If you're happy with the Adikt, then enjoy. Too many people change stuff for what might be rather than what they've heard for themselves.

The Adikt is an OK cartridge. It's better than most cartridges at less money and worse than most cartridges at more money.

The Ittok is capable of a lot more than the Adikt is prepared to give. When the Adikt is run through, consider a better cartridge rather than just buying a replacement stylus. If you like the Linn presentation, seriously consider the Klyde. It'll make you wonder what the hell you were doing messing about with the Adikt. If you've (come to your senses) realised you want something else, then the Ittok is more than good enough to show you a very different tune with something like the 10x5 for similar money to the Adikt or anything up to a Dynavector XX2 (but not really much beyond that).

However, all this is for nought unless you have your deck serviced regularly. Just as with most high performance machinery, the LP12 requires a dealer service (effectively a complete strip down and rebuild) every 18 months at the outside. In the UK it costs £100, usually including the belt (£20 on its own) and all the replacement parts (springs, grommets, etc). It's not a small job, but it is essential on this deck. It may seem to sound alright but in reality if it's not serviced regularly by a qualified dealer, it'll be working very much below par. This is one reason why I don't own one. I'm a lazy so-and-so, so my Orbe suits me fine since once set, it's all just forget...

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2305
Before I heard them both, in the Adikt vs 10x5 debate one of my reasons for leaning toward the Adikt was the replacable stylus. What I didn't know was Dynavector has a trade in policy. They give you money off a new one if you trade back the old one. I can't remember the exact cost of a new 10x5 after a trade in, but I think it was between $200 - $250. The Linn stylus costs about $175 I believe, so the price difference isn't that much. Add to this that you get an entire cartridge rather than just a stylus. I think they'll also give you a credit if you upgrade anywhere within their line. I've seen a bunch of other companies do this as well.

If you've got $750 to spend, take a look at the Lyra Dorian. I heard that on an LP12. Phenominal.

As if that's not enough money, I heard the top of the line LP12 table/suspension/arm/cart. Its about $30k. Combined with a full Linn system which consisted of 6 monoblocks, active XOs, and their top of the line speakers, it blew away anything I've ever heard. That system was well over $150k. Add more for a CD player or any other source, rack, and cables.

They set that up for a gentleman to audition the LP12. They were sceptical of buying the new table because they had to sell three of them just to break even on the price of the demo table. Luckily, the gentleman bought two LP12s. One for his house, and one for his vacation home. It must be nice to be able to spend $60k like that. I was inspired to play the lottery that night. Needless to say, I didn't win.

Now back to reality...

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 890
Thanks very much Frank and Stu.

I appreciate both of your posts. I am about 5 months away from a "tune-up" on the Linn. That is when I will probably go the Dynavector route.

If it is not to my liking I can try something else after, the Klyde or Lyra Dorian perhaps. Do you know what tone-arm it was coupled to Stu?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2315
I can't remember what the setup was, Mike. It was about 2 years ago. They've got about 8 LP12s all configured differently. If I'd ask, they'd probably be stumped as to what the specific set up was.

However, it could very well have been an Ittok arm.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 896
I appreciate the follow up Stu.

Thanks.

Bergen, Hordaland Norway

Post Number: 4
thanks guys,
this was very enlightening for me.

terje