Turntables? We Don't Need No Stinking Turntables

Username: Dbnh77

NH USA

Post Number: 7
I'm fairly new to the high end end audio game.

I have a decent set of speakers and receiver but I am a little curious about turntables done right.

I grew up on casettes and CD's and never really had the opportunit to listen to music on a decent turntable. i hear that it sounds better but as with everything else in the audio world better is subjective.

For those of you with turntables/records can you tell me what makes the sound better? where does one buy records? is the selection limited? howmuch does one have to spend to get a decent turntable?

Username: Bug20k1

California USA

Post Number: 2
I've seen turntables for sale at a store in my local mall, I believe it was Urban Outfitters. But, my friend (an aspiring DJ) had said the brand ION isn't any good. Though his definition of good is for doing mixing and live sets, I don't know how good they are quality wise. I saw some turntables for sale at Best Buy a few months ago, they should still have them in their inventory there. I'm starting to get into turntables more myself as well, I'll get back to you on more specific prices as I find them.

Username: Bug20k1

California USA

Post Number: 3
props for the Blazing Saddles reference, btw. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9283
A rega P2 is a fine start.
The Pro-ject is also a good line.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11777

"props for the Blazing Saddles reference, btw."

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?fr=ybr_sbc&p=we%20don't%20need%20no%20stinkin'%20badges

Vinyl sounds "analog". CD's sound "digital". "Better" is a personal decision. As a rule, cheap turntables don't sound better than a good low priced CD player. If you don't have a decent record cleaner, you'll suffer through pops and snaps and noise while playing a record. Turntables have less speed stability and speed consistency than CD's. Turntables are affected by their environment and, if you don't have a decent stand for a table, they suffer from acoustic feedback. Low priced phono cartridges for a less expensive turntable usually have poor frequency response and higher distortion compared to a CD player.

Don't believe everything you read. Including this.

Stop by a decent audio shop that sells turntables and compare for yourself. Turntables are an acquired taste. If you are on limited funds, I suggest you stick to CD's.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 864
Rega and Project do have good entry level Turntables, then there is also Craigslist and Audiogon. Best Buy or Guitar Center will not net you anything you think you want.

Jan's advice regarding finding an Audio shop, not Best Buy, Circuit City, but one where flat panel TVs are not their bread and butter. Someplace which has rooms set up with 2 speakers and the appropriate gear to drive them is what you need to understand if vinyl is really what you want.

With vinyl comes effort, much like anything else worth having is what Jan also telling you. Buying used vinyl is relatively easy, Half Price Books if you have them in NH is a good source. Some folks find LPs at garage sales.

I fully appreciate the distinction between vinyl and CDs and much favor the sound I get from vinyl but that is me. I find it warmer and fuller sounding which in of itself means nothing to you.

I suspect if you go to where you bought your NAD gear they will have something suitable for you to listen to. That is the only way to determine if ti is worth the cost and effort to you.

What do you listen to, do you listen to live music are questions that will come your way if you decide to commit yourself to a turntable. We are a fairly opinionated bunch here who are fairly willing to help.

I am listening to "The Weight" by The Band on vinyl as I type this to you.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11780

DB - You'll probably need to buy a phono pre amp unless your receiver has such an item built in. Most modern receivers do not. Figure that into your entry cost to vinyl. You'll be adding at least another $130 to the cost to purchase the "minimum acceptable" phono pre amp. A much better sounding pre amp is available at around $300.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9290
DB, vinyl, quality analog does not come cheaply.
The phono stage and the table itself can run from 50$ ceramics to a zillion$.
If your discs are icky, you will get icky results.
Proper record cleaning is key here, you must have, and expand your vinyl collection, yes, but a preoerly cleaned disc is everything.
EVERYTHING
Invest as you will, but be sure to get a quality record cleaner.
The 'Nitty gritty' is the minimum to look at.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us