I need help. i think theres something wrong with my tonearm....

Username: I_starrr_u

Sylmar, California Us of a

Post Number: 1
ok so ive had this particular player for about 2 months now and just the other day it started acting funny. i bought a few new records, mostly eps. but when i went to go put on one of these new eps, it skipped near the very end. i checked out the record. no scratches. so i try another one, except this one was an lp and i kinda placed the arm in the smae area near the end of the record and nothing. so then i got a bit smarter and put on another ep (which is probably what i shouldve done in the first place) and they they all for the most part skip at this one particular spot. when looking at the playback, the tonearm is physically like "twitching" back a groove or two.

what is happening and how do i fix it??
thanx for any help you might have.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9266
nicole, how much anti-skate have you applied to the arm? Near the max or min?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2548
Sounds like too much anti-skate to me, but it should happen to both LPs and EPs in that case.

When a record deck is setup, you need to apply an anti-skating force. This is because there is a very small acceleration on the arm as it plays toward the centre of the record.

Anti-skate force control is via either a spring or a threaded weight. This depends entirely on the model of your tonearm. So, what turntable and arm have you got?

Regards,
Frank.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11775

I'll place my bet this table doesn't have anti-skating. If it did, it should have problems with both EP's and LP's at the same spot on the disc.

Nicole, what kind of turntable is this? What brand and model? Is this an automatic table that moves the arm over to the beginning of a LP? Does it lift at the end of the disc? Are the EP's played at the same speed as the LP's?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9278
I ain't gonna see that bet.
JV read your mail.

Post Number: 2
well i havent applied any antiskate. i wasnt aware that i had to or really what it is. its a brand new player tho which im sure is both good and bad. anywhoo, its an emerson 4 in 1 system (you can see it here http://www.audiobuys.net/Emerson/2356.htm )
the arm is just the one that came with it. i have to manually move the arm over the beginning of the record but it lifts automatically at the end and goes back to the stand and the record stops playing.

any other questions you need answered to help me out please ask!
thanx guys!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11776

You didn't say whether the EP's play at the same speed as the LP's (33 1/3). I suspect the tonearmm on this table is tied to an automatic lift function that doesn't like the EP's. There's probably no particular reason for it if it does the same thing on all your EP's. Possibly, the groove spacing is wider on the EP's and that trips the auto mechanism or simply fouls the arm's movement.

You can take a few EP's to the shop where you purchased this unit and ask them to try one or two in order to determine whether this is a problem with the player in general or your player in particular. Otherwise, since there are no local shops that service this unit - I assume - you can either live with the problem or return the player for a refund and buy a better player. A better player does not come with all the things this one does and it will cost substantially more dollars. I don't want to be rude here, Nicole, but this is not a wonderful machine packaged at an attractive price and it is probably going to have some quirks. You can pay more to get better. Quite a bit more. It's difficult to put togetehr a component system with turntable and CD - let alone cassette - for less than $800.

Return to the shop where you made the purchase and ask for some after the sale assistance. Good luck. I don't think there's anything better we can offer you.

Post Number: 3
not rude at all. i'll see what i can do!

thanx!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us