Can the naim nait 5i be used with a power amp? HELP

Username: Rookbee

Post Number: 1
Hello i'm looking for help from anybody with more experince than me !( so thats everybody )Can the naim nait 5i be used with a linn LK100 power amp if so what connections would i need?

many thanks

andy

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2266
It can't be used with any external power amp. In order for an integrated amp to be used as a pre-amp or to add a power amp, it must have pre-outs, which the Nait 5i doesn't have.

The Nait5 did have this as well as an inlet to connect a seperate power supply. When it was upgraded to the 5i, these options were eliminated.

Ýstanbul Turkey

Post Number: 2
Hi Stu, Thanks you for the quick responce and info.. 1 more Question my cd has 2 outs a & b would it be possible to connect 1 out to a nait 5i and 1 out to a linn lk100.and running the system this way and what would it do?. or have i lost the plot and gone crazy mad bonkers!!

thanks

andy

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2269
Is it a CD5i or CD5x? If so, you can not use both outputs simulatneously. They provide an RCA and DIN output on their CD players so that people using a non-Naim pre-amp or integrated amp can still connect a CD5i or CD5x.

If you have a different CD player, I'm not sure it'll work either. You would need a way to control the volume of the second amplifier.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2534
Andy,

Crazy mad bonkers I'm afraid. The Linn is a power amp, so you can't control its volume. Furthermore, even if you could control its volume (i.e. if it was an integrated), you'd be forever, adjusting two volume controls (the Nait's and the Linn's) to keep the outputs matched. Not workable.

In fact, I happen to think that the Nait5i's power amp section is actually better than the Linn's anyway (not a great fan of the LK100) so plug in the Nait5i and enjoy...!

Regards,
Frank.

Lstanbul Turkey

Post Number: 3
Hello,

Many Thanks Stu & Frank. I am running a nait 5i with a linn mimik cd and B&W 602s's
I was given the opportunity to have the lk100 and had the thought in my head that this could be done ( it was a crazy 5 mins in my head y'll tell you!! lol)

my old amps 2 x audiolab 8000s were bought from a shop in my old home town lnverness Scotland ,where the owner had buchered 1 amp to make it a dedicated power amp .. but yes these did have the outs required DOH!!... this is where my madness has stemed from!!

I stumbled accross some old posts from you both last night and found all the information
really helpfull .

i have about 1300.00 GBP too upgrade my speakers any ideas or should i upgrade the cd aswell within my budget, Sorry if i'm floging a old horse

kind regards

andy

Lstanbul Turkey

Post Number: 4
sorry the ÝÝÝ 's in the post it's turkish keyboard

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2277
I'd upgrade the speakers. But keep in mind that I'm not a fan of the B&W 602s at all, and I don't think they have a very good synergy with Naim..

I don't know what is available to you in Istanbul nor know prices, but I'll throw out a few popular speaker company choices for Naim -

Naim N-Sat
Naim Ariva - Discontinued, but may still be available
Linn Katan
PMC DB1+ and TB2+
Totem Arro
Dynaudio Audience 42 and 52
Rega R3 and R5
Quad - Not sure of model numbers - 12L?
Focal - Not sure of model numbers, Chorus 7xx?
Spendor - Not sure of model numbers
Neat - Not sure of model numbers

I haven't heard Spendor and Neat speakers before, but they seem to be a relatively popular pairing with Naim. I've heard most of the others or other models within their lines. Their really isn't a clear cut better or best speaker. Its a matter of taste. Most feel that all of them are very good, but one or two really shines above others depending on preferences. That means it s a subjective thing.

Do some research on what is available and at what prices, then take it from there. You can't go wrong by hearing as many of them as you can. Just make sure that you can hear them on either Naim gear or something that is very similar.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2539
Stu's advice is pretty good here. The Focal 700V range is a very good match with the Naim since they're very easy to drive and nicely lean in the bass giving good articulate control in that region. They're also very clean in the treble due to their exemplary tweeters.

However, B&W owners tend to love their speakers. If you love your 602s but want more finesse, then the replacement range is the 68x series and the replacement to the 602 would be the 685.

If you want something different, or real fidelity, then my recommendations would be the entry level Dynaudios, Totem Arro, Naim n-Sats (or Arivas if you're lucky), all of which work very well with the Nait5i.

I am also not a big fan of the Mimik. I always thought it was a bit slow and lacking in detail. I'd be surprised if a Rega Apollo didn't leave it for dead. The Apollo retails at £600. Then of course there's Naim's brand new CD5i (italic) which is meant to be quite an improvement on the original CD5i. This retails for around £850 or so (just come out).

In your position I'd be sorely tempted to go with the Apollo or CD5i and the rest on better speakers. The Mimik must be worth something, which would give you a bit more to play with in the budget...:-)

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2281
How did I misread mimik for ikemi?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9249
I can't find anything Freudian about ikemi at all.

Lstanbul Turkey

Post Number: 5
hello

it's a mimik.

Stu . thanks for the list i have found a few dealers the your listed speakers . You are correct with prices and dealers in istanbul it's hit or miss here.

when i bought the nait i basicly summgled the amp in to the country this also saved 17.5% VAT off the amp! and there are some strange import rules it got to a point where i thought i needed to take two unicycling grand parents to customs to confirm my identity, so smuggling was the way forward!

Frank .I almost sure the cargo from a fleet of super tankers carring b&w's went missing in the dead of night, Because the place is swamped with them.
so it gave me a easy and accessible start in here turkey.
i have learned the hard way! Instead see and buy i now know doing some ground work and getting advice from people like yourself and stu will give me a better result in the long run and give the nait justice !

so to round it off ,I have not sold my soul to B&W !( they can't afford me!! )

I appreciate the advice and time you and stu have giving to this thread..

Thanks

andy

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2543
You're welcome Andy. I hope it proves useful.

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 50
Musical Fidelity makes an 'afterburner' which is a VERY powerful monoblock designed to accept speaker level inputs. At a mere 5000$/pair, you can have your Naim and eat it too!
So, in effect ANY receiver or integrated can be used as a pre. The result from the MF550K supercharger is SAID to not change the character of the input amp.
::here is link to Stereophile test. Judge for yourself.

http://stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/907mf/

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2550
Leo,

For $5000, he could have a SuperNAIT which will take that cruddy supercharger piece of junk and dunk it head first in the Bosphors, no matter what Stereophool say.

Grrr...:-)

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 54
Sorry, Frank.....never heard ANY MF equipment....ever!

For that same 5 large, I could get a pair of return tickets to Hawaii and stay 1st class for 2 weeks.
OR a pair of MG3.6's......and a bunch of CDs
or 2 Krell KAV400Xi integrateds....to use as room heaters.

But seriously, at that level, looking only for 1 or 2 things, the choices are huge. I've been looking at Audiogon lately and for 5k, you could assemble a pretty credible system and than some!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us