Monitor Audio vs. KEF vs. Tannoy vs PSB vs well, you get the idea

Bronze Member
Username: Kbear

Post Number: 17
I've been shopping around for a home theater set up this week, strictly to see what's out there and how different speakers sound. The purchase won't happen right away, I just have some time off work and so I can investigate this stuff now.

There are lots of choices, to a point where it becomes overwhelming. But from what I can see I have two options:

1. Buy more expensive speakers and spend less on the receiver. I am talking about Marantz 5002 kind of range on the receiver. Other brands in the running are Harman/Kardon, Denon, Pioneer Elite, and Onkyo. Marantz seems to be the easiest option.

Or I can,

2. Buy some less expensive speakers and step up to a NAD T755 or a Cambridge Audio Azur 640R.

Speaker options are below:

More expensive category:

Monitor Audio Silver RS6, RS1, and RS-LCR
Tannoy Mercury F4, Mercury F1, Mercury FC
PSB Image T45, Image B15, Image C60
KEF iQ5, iQ1, iQ6
Focal Chorus 714V, 705V, CC 700V
Paradigm Monitor 7, Mini Monitor, CC-290

With the MA Silvers being a good chunk more than the others, and simply gorgeous speakers to boot.

Less expensive category:

Mordaunt Short 906, 905, 903, 409 (sub)
Monitor Audio Bronze BR5, BR1, BR-LCR

The Mordaunt Shorts are significantly cheaper than the rest, since they come as part of a package deal with the Azur 640R and DV89 universal DVD player.

I've listened to all but the Tannoys, which are not in stock right now. If I choose those I may have to do it sight unseen, though I've asked the dealer if I can have a trial period just in case. Haven't heard back yet.

Every system I've listened to sounds good. Personally, I think I prefer the Monitor Audios (even the Bronze). I liked the Paradigms least out of the bunch, which oddly enough were driven by the most upscale equipment (Krell). Nevertheless, I enjoyed every audition and wouldn't be averse to owning any of these speakers. But then again, it's so hard to determine during a short audition after driving around from one store to the next.

I'm not sure how much you guys can help out, but opinions are more than welcome. Would you go with path 1 or 2? What do you think of the named brands? Have you listened to any of these speakers? Do you own any of them?

Thank you and cheers!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Actually, even if I go with the MA Bronze package I might need to go with a Marantz 5002 level receiver. The Mordaunt Short package looks to be the only way to step up to the Azur 640.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9214
Dan,a good source and very good amplification will run lesser speakers in a better way.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Thanks Nuck. I'll keep that in mind and I really only have one option in that case.

I think the Paradigms are out as to my ears they just weren't as smooth as everything else, and probably the KEFs too as they were a bit on the bright side. Bass was deeper than the others but then again I was listening to the iQ9 (the biggest model in the line I believe - that's all they had in the store) but the treble was really prominent.

One other thing I'm wondering is whether these choices are overkill. The room this is going into is 12'x25'. Not small, but then again the speakers will likely be lined up with the 25' wall, firing towards the open 12'. With only 12', and when you consider the space needed for the TV and speakers, plus the sofa that will be facing the TV, maybe I can get by with less. The models I've looked at so far all have two woofers, but maybe I'm fine with only one (Tannoy Mercury F3 for instance, rather than F4). Even if I put the speakers in the other direction, I'll only be using about half the room, so again, about 12', or 15' tops.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
C'mon people! Nobody has an opinion on any of these speakers? I know that can't be true, there are lots of well known brands on my list.

Right now I'm leaning towards buying the Marantz SR5002 and Marantz DVD player with the Tannoys, and if I don't like those speakers exchanging them for the MA Bronze which I have heard and do like.

Do I need two drivers or can I get by with just one? How do the Tannoys stack up against the other speakers on my list?

Or, if I drop down to the MA Silver RS5 fronts (one driver instead of the RS6's two) I can probably afford that, also paired with an SR5002.

I can probably also afford a NAD T755 with the MA Bronze package and a Marantz DVD player.

These three options are all in the same ballpark money wise, though if I opt for the Tannoy/Marantz or MA Bronze/Marantz it will leave some extra money for the stands and rack that I will need to buy. That would help, but what am I sacrificing?

Btw, I think I'm going to rule out the Cambridge/Mordaunt Short package because I can get the NAD and MA Bronze instead for about the same price, and the NAD being brand new has more features than Cambridge's receiver, and from what I can tell just as good a reputation for musical excellence.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 1502
Have you auditioned any of these speakers & receivers?

They're all good & have their strengths, but it's really for you to decide. Set a budget, and work within it's constraints.

For my 2-cents, I like the Monitor Audio/NAD combo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Monitor-Audio-RS1-SRP-600-00_W0QQitemZ110184852688QQihZ001QQ categoryZ14991QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I've auditioned all of them with the exception of the Tannoy line. But like I said, if the dealer allows me to return the F3/F4 if I don't like them, and exchange them for the MA Bronze (which I have heard and liked) then I guess there is no risk in buying those.

It's tough making a decision. I'm struggling with whether I should splurge on the NAD (with cheaper speakers), splurge on the MA Silvers (with a cheaper receiver), splurge on the DVD player (like a Marantz DV7001 matched with a cheaper receiver and speakers), or just buy a cheaper speaker, receiver, and DVD player and save some money.

And when I say cheaper, I think the quality is probably still acceptable. Marantz SR5002, $1,500 or so on speakers, $500 on a DVD player.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Well I just found out the dealer does not offer trial periods. I'll have to try to locate a dealer that stocks the Mercury line and then listen to them. Not too many dealers in my area seem to carry Tannoy though, so it could be tough.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I called a Tannoy distributer and they gave me two stores that carry the Mercury line. This coming weekend I will go and listen to the F4 fronts.

So it would appear that I'm going to end up with either the Monitor Audio Silver RS5 or Bronze BR5, PSB T45, or Tannoy Mercury F4. The coming days should confirm whether the Tannoys are still in the running.

I know what I'll be doing during the after Christmas sales period - looking for a great deal on one of the above!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2259
I wouldn't hold my breath for a sale on that stuff.

Hifi gear from a brick and mortar store doesn't work that way. The only way you may get a sale is if a hifi chain like Tweeter or Harvey's has an after Christmas sale. They'll usually do a 10-15% off.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking. The only thing I could probably get a good deal on are the PSBs from 2001 Audio Video (a large chain up here in Canada). They also carry Onkyo and H/K for receivers, as does Future Shop (the H/K that is). I'm not really leaning to either of those receiver brands but haven't ruled them out either.

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 52
If you're willing to skip HD/BluRay for now, you can get the highly regarded Oppo DV981 for about 250$ right to your door....and invest the difference in speakers/amp.....
Evaluate your mix of movie use VS audio and decide.
I don't know about megabuck universal players, but even the most expensive Denon gets only so-so audio reviews while being equaled in the video department by the Oppo, at 10% of the price.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 625
I can tell you I totally love my Monitor Audio BR2s. I feel theres no need to 'upgrade' for a very very very long time..never?

My advice is stay away from the KEFs unless you have an high frequency ear response defficiency.

p.s. I use a cambridge audio amp with my MA's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
leo - thanks for the recommendation. I've actually looked into the Oppo player, and it's still under consideration. It looks to be the best budget player out there in terms of value for the money. I am leaning, however, to paying more for the source and going with a Marantz DV7001.

J. Jarvis - I have more or less decided on going with the MA Bronze set up. It's affordable and IMO offers the best sound of the bunch. KEF is definitely out, I only heard the iQ9 but it was quite shrill and I've read opinions from others who feel the same about that line of speaker. There is still a chance I will go the PSB option if I can get a good deal on those. I listened to the Tannoys yesterday and I did like them but I felt the MAs brought out more detail in music. The Tannoys were very smooth though, and I thought they were very musical (by that I mean that musical notes and vocals seemed to flow better, everything seemed to conclude rather than end jarringly - it's hard for me to explain but hopefully you guys know what I'm trying to say). I will probably pick up the Tannoy Mercury F2 for use with my Denon minisystem. That Tannoy line is now dicontinued, so to get the full HT set will likely be tough anyhow. Like I said, for HT I think will be MA.

Username: Hifi5

Raleigh, NC

Post Number: 1
Dan,

The MA speakers are very nice for the $$, especially the Silver series RS6. The Oppo 980 would be a great choice if you can forgo BD and/or HD-DVD for now. Very good sound with CD & SACD and a heck of an upconverting DVD player.

Marantz are fine receivers, but you may want to consider auditioning the current Onkyo line of receivers (especially the 805) before you make your choice. The Onkyo stuff is really becoming good again like it was back in the 80's. I have some pretty high end stuff (Lexicon, Proceed, etc.) and the new Onkyo stuff comes pretty close, which is really amazing. It also supports all of the new audio formats like Dolby True HD and DTS MA. The Marantz you are looking at does not. If you have never heard these formats, you will be really amazed at the sound quality compared to CD...night and day.

Have fun with the auditions.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9468
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. It has been said a few times that the Onkyo line has been improved on previous offerings. I havn't heard one.
Any improvement on the recent models would be welcomed.
The specs on the 805 are @4 ohms, they really stress that, I couldn't find a weight in the specs.

DL- yeah, the MA line has some pretty good stuff in it. I have silver 8i speakers running now, what they do, they do very well.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 895
Perfect Sound and Vision gave the new Onkyo 805, budget A/V receiver of the year. Just reading that last night. In the review it claims that Onkyo has improved by large amounts.

Bronze Member
Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 75
Dan, another vote here for the MA silvers. I have the rs6, running off a CA 640A, and I couldn't be happier. I debated b/w the silver and bronze, and went with the silver b/c I have a really big room with high ceilings...but in your case, I think the bronze would be plenty. I demoed the MA's with Marantz, and felt them to be a good combo.

Bronze Member
Username: Jmsoave

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

Post Number: 76
Oh and another thing about MA, I have found them to be a great company. I blew out a tweeter, and they sent me a brand new one, no questions asked. Great customer service.

To install the tweeter, I had to take my speakers apart, and was very impressed with the quality of components and workmanship inside.

I'd say go for the bronze...

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1595
I would go with the Tannoys,You seemed to like the musicality better remember your only analytical sometimes but you will listen to music most of the time,which will mean everything in the long run,beleive me the detail is there it just doesent makes its self obvious,I've always liked the Mercury series for that reason,very good speakers its a shame they arnt well known in the states.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2614
Speakers - Focal. Fabulous clean treble, lean articulate bass, engaging and easy to drive.

DVD player, hmmm, more difficult. Not sure.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1031
I have a pair of KEF speakers, and find them quite smooth. It all depends on what you are driving them with.

On the same token, I listened to the B&W 658 to compare to my KEF iQ3 and could not see why everyone likes them. I found them very boring to listen to.

FWIW, the B&W speakers were powered by Rotel, and this is supposedly an ideal match.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1608
I've never personally found any Kef speaker bright,I dont think u can go wrong with Kef,Tannoy,or MA.If I were you I would seriously listen to the Kefs again coherancy is something they do better than the others in my opinion which in my opinion makes music sound like music possibly check out the Rega speakers to since your on the British kick they may be what you are looking for.Make sure if you hear any of these speakers again choose the assciated gear to listen to them on they all will sound very different with various electronics,if your a customer your dealer should be able to provide that,if they cant find another dealer.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2620
All KEFs are bright in my opinion...and nasty...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Well, like I said I am still leaning to the MA Bronze for HT, but I have decided to postpone the HT purchase for a bit.

I bought a pair of Tannoy Mercury F2's for my 2 ch. stereo system. Haven't picked them up yet (more on that later). However....

Tawaun's comments on the KEF's coherency got me thinking. I wouldn't mind hearing the KEFs again. I probably didn't give them a fair shake the first time, in large part because they only had the iQ9 in stock. I didn't listen to my own songs. I might still come away with the same conclusion as I did listening to the store's material, but who knows for sure? The problem is that I simply do not have a KEF dealer nearby that stocks the iQ line, other than 2001 Audio Video, which is a large chain like Best Buy - and it's simply hard to listen very critically at a place like that.

So what I am considering is when I go pick up the F2, if it's not too expensive I may elect to go with the Sensys DC1 instead (the next model up). It's similar to the KEF in that it has concentric driver technology, which if I'm not mistaken this technology is renowned for coherency. I'll have to listen and do a head to head comparison with the F2 that day, then make a call. If I really love the DC1, I just might get that instead.

I can't find too many reviews online, but I did find this one, with a frequency response graph that seems to indicate this is a very neutral speaker:

http://www.hometheatermag.com/floorloudspeakers/204tannoy/index1.html

Anyways, I'm looking forward to hearing the DC1 and comparing it to the F2. Should make for a fun day.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5898
Nice Frank...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1610
Yeah what Art said......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums