Returning Onkyo TX-8522 - What to get...

Bronze Member
Username: Turbodean

San Francisco Bay Area, CA USA

Post Number: 11
Onkyo just ticked me off. Useless customer support and misleading advertising (the "High-Current, Low-Impedance Drive" is not, and documentation showed a broad speaker Ohm range, but it turns out it does not apply to US models). 20 year Onkyo customer gone. The 8522 may have been fine for me, but I'm done with them.

Please help me start over. I am in the market for a decent 2 channel that won't have any issues with ANY 8 Ohm speakers (including the ones that dip down to 4 Ohms or less) or 6 Ohm speakers I might get down the road (PSB 25, MA S2, etc.). Due to a budget constrain of ~$600 for receiver and speakers, my speaker options seem to be:

- Paradigm Titan V2 or V3, used (~$200)
- AV123 x-ls (~$200)
- Acoustech HT-64 (~$250)
- Hsu HB-1 (~$150)

I'm open to other suggestions as well. I kinda presume I will need to get a sub sooner rather than later with the x-ls and HB1. Hopefully the Titan and HT-64s won't, but we'll see. Christmas... :-) I have JBL 2800s right now. Just thinking out loud, to be on the cheap, could I disconnect the tweets and use just the 8" woofers as a bit more bass? It would be kinda muddled, I guess.

Although the Onkyo was only $200 I'm ready to go ~$300 or more if it makes a difference, but it eats into the $600 budget. The Yamaha RX-397 and HK3385 were earlier options and I suppose still are, and the RX-497 & 3485 are within reach. What else could I consider? Denon DRA-297 and DRA-397? I suppose I should plan on a sub out this time. I mostly listen to 60s-current rock, but also folk and jazz. This is a living room background music system, that's all, and I'm limited to bookshelf speakers to fit in a 25w x 15h x 16d open shelf space.

Thanks,

Dean

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Saw this in another thread: "Do you plan on integrating a subwoofer at some point? If so, you might want to just get a 5.1/7.1 receiver instead and just use the channels you need. In my travels, I've found stereo receivers that have sub pre-outs, but integrating them can be tough."

Valid recommendation? Should I start over? I though a sub-out would be a good thing.

I have never used a sub before, so I don't know what the pitfalls may be.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 393
I think if you go with the Titans, you will want a sub. Especially in a room 25x16. I own a pair of Titan v2, and while they're not bad, they don't have an extreme amount of low end (but what do you expect from bookshelf speakers?).

Also, the RX-397 is not a bad receiver (I have a 497), but I find with Yamaha you have to be careful about what speakers you pair with them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks, David.

First, I need to clarify, the 25w x 15h x 16d is in INCHES. That is the space each speaker is to fit in, though the room is ~13'w x 22'd x 8'h.

You know, I see that a lot, that one has to match or be careful about pairing the speakers and amp/receiver, but how does one do that? I mean, how would I know what to be careful about? For instance, with the list of possible receivers and speakers above, what works with what, and what doesn't?

This is getting overwhelming.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2510
Check out NAD's C315BEE or C325BEE and Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s (which will fit in that space you defined). Either of those in combination should be within budget I'd have thought, and a good combination too.

Regards
Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thanks, Frank,

I have read of the Diamonds and the C315/325s, but then I would still need a tuner with no budget left.

Silver Member
Username: Darth

Post Number: 133
How about the HK 3480 ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3480-Z-AM-FM-Stereo-Receiver-Tuner_W0QQitem Z150183316252QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3279QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is a pretty good receiver IMHO

Just another option.
Regards

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Just a tad too late. :-)

The Onkyo is now gone, and I just ordered the HK3485, $250 shipped.

now, for speakers...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Frank, any opinion on the 9.1s with the HK receiver? I have a little breathing room.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us