Yamaha RX-396 or similar vs 1980's Receivers

Username: Sjguy99

Arizona USA

Post Number: 1
I recently bought a high end home theater system (separate components) and put my old stereo system in my bedroom. I've had good luck with my old system and over the course of 21 years it has had very light use--no more than 10 hours a month. Job, Life events, house configuration etc kind of put listening to music on the back burner. My old system consisted of a Denon DRA-35V receiver, a Denon DCD-610 CD player and B&W DM100 bookshelf speakers. The sound is very clear, the components have a quality feel to them and I like that fact that the Denon components are made in Japan by Nippon Columbia. My only complaint is that the receiver doesn't have a remote control. Anyways, I was at a small second hand store today and behind the counter they had a brand new in the box Yamaha RX-396 Receiver as well as a second box that had a new Sony CDP-CE375 5 disc cd changer. The clerk opened the receiver box and everything was there (receiver, remote, antenna) in plastic and styrofoam etc.They wanted $75 but I didn't buy it because I wasn't unsure of the quality, necessity etc. The Sony CD changer was also $75 but I wasn't interested in it since I've read poor reviews on Sony CD changers. What do you all think of the quality of the Yamaha RX-396 receiver and would it be better than the 21 year old Denon I have now? In the event the Denon receiver ever breaks, should I search for another Denon made in Japan that has a remote control or will pretty much any receiver sound the same on B&W bookshelf speakers? I noticed this Yamaha receiver said natural sound if that means anything. If the situation arises again where a new receiver is before me for $75, which brands would be good with my B&W speakers? Thank you all for your help and understanding as I'm still a newbie with all of this?

Username: Sjguy99

Arizona USA

Post Number: 3
Well the inevitable happened today. I think my Denon DRA-35V receiver bit the dust. It starts up fine (makes it's normal initial click after waiting 5 seconds after pressing the power button) on the default tuner selection, and then plays the radio for 5 seconds and then makes a click sound and no more radio. The information display still works, but I get no more sound. I then try a cd and cassette---nothing. So now I'm in need of a receiver and not sure whether I should have bought that Yamaha a couple weeks ago LOL. Maybe Made in Japan for Denon isn't good after all. This receiver has had very light use too. Any suggestions on a brand of basic used receiver with remote that matches well with B&W bookshelf DM100 speakers? Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11736

Rotel or HK.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 704
I like Jan's suggestion. Rotel especially is a well known match with B&W. The new Yamaha's are mediocre at best. I would recommend a receiver with decent power and SQ that would fall into the Rotel,H/K,NAD,Arcam rank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us