Some Bookshelfs...?

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2653
I was hoping to put some quality bookshelfs in my room. Great Sound Quality and high power handling capability is desired for high output.

Extension only needs to be to maybe 80hz or so.. sound quality is the main objective here. I'll probably power them with either a Rotel 500w 2ch amp, an Anthem P2 (300w/ch), a Rotel 2x300w...or whatever you guys might recommend...Bryston?

Thanks for help.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 1490
Do you have a budget?

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 697
Andre, what kind of music do u listen to? The size of the room? the dimensions? And as Chris said, what is your budget. Big price different from a Rotel to a Bryston.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9189
SQ, but has to be really loud...

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2502
Dynaudio Audience 42s are capable of an awful lot. If you have real power, 52s are immensely satisfying. Dynaudios have very good power handling (the 42s can handle 150w each IIRC).

Bronze Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 100
I'm confused. 300W, bookshelf speakers, sound quality, limited bass (>80hz). Can you elaborate on what the objectives for your room ? That will help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9199
Hawkbilly, Andre's objectives are the same as always.
Loud and louder.
Oh, and good SQ, whatever that means.

I have no idea what bass unit Andre has in mind to integrate at 80 Hz, including roll off to avoid voids, but it likely some pipe dream concoction of limited expectation of reality.

Call that a CLER.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2655
Let me try to lay this out clearly...

First of all, there is a 90% chance this is really happening...not a CLER by any means..

Ok, Nuck...things don't always have to be loud with me...when I say high output, I mean powerful transients and deep bass..not necessarily 120dB....I actually listen around 97dB that's my favorite zone...according to the SPL meter...although I don't mind having headroom for those moments...

Music Preferences
I listen to the alternative stations and classic rock stations...oldies too. There are no jazz stations here...sadly.

The stuff I like...I'd give you my MySpace...but I really don't want people knowing me that well.

I'll list SOME of the songs on there...and I wish they had better SQ...YYZ-Rush, Where Did You Sleep Last Night-Nirvana, Clocks-Coldplay, Frankenstein-Edgar Winter Group, Fm-Steely Dan, So What'cha Want-Beastie Boys, Mellow Yellow-Donovan, Clint Eastwood-Gorillaz, Mustang Sally-Mack Rice (I think), About A Girl-Nirvana, Have A Cigar-Pink Floyd, Godzilla-Blue Oyster Cult, Bombtrack-RATM, Low Rider-War, Possum Kingdom-Toadies....

And SO many more... hopefully you can get a feel for my music style from that?

All I know to say is that it's 11x14x8 + 36 ft³..

The bass unit, Nuck, is going to be 2 Aurasound 12" Drivers with an active EQ for integration with the mains.

Budget...well I don't know. It's going to make up maybe 40% of my listening time...and I am getting some money in...I guess it doesn't need to be HUGE...probably $3000-4000... for a set of speakers and an amp/pre-amp.

That's a rough figure. It doesn't even need to be close to that much if it doesn't have to..I almost prefer it's not..but you guys are the experts when it comes to anything that's not bass.

Thanks for help.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 102
Heck, with $4000 at your disposal you have a ton of options. You could pretty much afford a Bryston integrated (B100 SST) and a very nice set of bookshelf speakers (Quad 11L2's, Epos M12.2's...etc). I don't listen to a lot of rock, so I'm not the best guy to offer suggestions specifically for that.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2508
Andre,

97db is too loud. You will suffer from hearing problems by the time you're in your mid-late twenties if you do that too often (more than once a week).

Get some quality instead.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 392
Check this out:

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/ruler.asp

Anything over 85 dB will eventually harm your hearing.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2656
Yeah...I think I could manage to inch it down over time and get used to that instead...as long as it still sounds great.

Thanks.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2513
The chances are you're lpaying it so loud to get around the lack of quality and get 'more'.

In fact all you're getting is 'louder'.

The hairs in your ear are a bit like blades of grass. Step on the grass a few times and it'll recover. Step on it too much, especially when young and not quite fully developed, and it will lie down and die, just like the hairs in your ear under all that assault. The difference is the hairs are what you require to hear...

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 707
97db? wow.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2660
What? Is that loud?

My SPL meter stopped working...it was getting old.

Maybe I'm off...or something. It's not really "loud" per se, it's more "intense" or powerful.

Well...I'll check it again with an SPL meter...when I can get one.

It was about 7 months ago...so we'll see...

Anyway...bookshelf recommendations please..

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 395
Paradigm Atom v5.

Love 'em.

Cheap too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1495
Anyone ever consider Andre already has suffered hearing loss, hence the need for higher & higher SPL?

If you have some time, I'd hold-off & see what the AV123 X-LS SWG MLS Signature Series (That's a mouthful!) shapes up to be. For $649/pr. for the fanciest finish, I think it's shaping up to be a giant killer.

http://av123.wetpaint.com/page/X-LS+MLS+Sig

I think the sweet-spot in the bookshelf market place is really in sub-$750 category; you can spend 10X as much and not be assured that you'll prefer the sound; in other words, you need to audition.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 398
What's CLER?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9205
I have no idea what bass unit Andre has in mind to integrate at 80 Hz, including roll off to avoid voids, but it likely some pipe dream concoction of limited expectation of reality.

Call that a CLER.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1496
Did you make that one up?

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2661
Umm..

Well...anyway....

Although I blew that UltraCube 10 I had, I still have liked Paradigm a lot.

What CM there suggested.. I would have to hear it.

Speaking of hearing it... You know, we don't really know what each other's system really sounds like or that "sound" someone is talking about if we've never heard it.

You don't really know. You'd have to hear it. If you have heard it, then you do know, of course.

When I say I turn it up loud, it's, like Chris said (in different words), to make use of the loudness curve and to make the impact seem more extreme (specifically the bass). It's also fun to go outside and listen to it out on the street. Hehe.

That being said, I want to improve the quality (that can be subjective..) of what I have now (ESPECIALLY THE SOURCE!!!!!) so that what I hear is what was intended and not some stupid sound that makes me feel like I want to umm..vomit/hurl/puke/go-the-wrong-way/throw-up.

Obviously, the speakers in the recording studio aren't perfect either, although some are pretty close.

I was in a vehicle earlier today and the bass sounded horrible. It was like this: BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM, no matter what I played.

There was no quality to it and no lows. It was definitely one-note bass. Ugh...I still remember it. BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOOOOOOM BOOM BOOM...Ugh...ECH.

When I got out, I felt nauseated and had a horrible headache. Wow...that was a horrible experience. How do they stand it? It was the factory system though...

Anyway, this thread is no longer important (as if it ever was important).

I will starting another thread with a new idea to go with it...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1497
OK, I've learned my lesson, always trust NUCK.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us