Oh, the terrible buzzing!!

Username: Elisemarie

Ann Arbor, Michigan United States

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a Realistic LAB-450 Direct Drive Automatic Turntable from a thrift shop. I also bought a "Sansui Stereo Reciever 661" at the same time to hook up my record player. There are a few things that I don't understand, knobs that I don't know how to use and also the buzzing problem.

When I turn the stereo to Phono, the buzzing starts (very light hum) but gets worse when the arm is actually over the record. The buzzing is louder than the record that is playing. The needle seems fine, but there is only a screw to hold it on one side. When I touch the record player in different places, the buzz changes pitch.

As for the knobs that I don't know how to use, there is one on the back of the arm labeled 0-1.5. Also there is a little knob next to the arm numbered 1-3 that says "anti-skating".

Any advice you have to offer would be REALLY appreciated!!

Thank you so much!

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 131
Has your table been properly grounded?

Post Number: 2
Now that I have it grounded the buzzing has ceased, but now I hear a new problem, poor tone quality...fuzzy.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5600
The Sansui receiver is a good one and if it is functioning properly will sound very good....the turntable however may not be so good. Even if you like the table odds are that the stylus (needle) needs replaced. Perhaps even the whole cartridge could be upgraded just a bit for some improvement. Also have all of the contacts on the jacks for been cleaned.

Post Number: 3
I cleaned the jacks and there was no improvement. I'll look through the message board for instructions on needle replacement unless you want to post the "how-tos" here.

Thanks for your help!

Silver Member

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 132
As Art suggested, you may need a new sylus, perhaps even a new cartridge. BTW, use these words when searching for info (rather than needle).

Here is an option:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_C ode=REALLAB0450

As for the "knobs" attached to the arm, and anti-skating, these are for setting your arm at the proper level. I would strongly suggest you bring your table into any dealer who sells turntables and ask them to set your arm for you (and show you how to do this). They shouldn't charge you for it, if you purchase a cartridge/stylus from them.

Post Number: 4
you guys are all awesome! thanks so much!!!!!

I'm going to the record store downtown here tomorrow. I can't wait to get everything going!

Silver Member

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 133
Godspeed
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us