Looking for Paradigm Titan V.2 & V.3 impedance curves

Username: Turbodean

San Francisco Bay Area, CA USA

Post Number: 6
I have looked for a link for this info and have been unsuccessful. Mostly I need the minimum to see if they are an option for me.

TIA,

Dean

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 998
why do you need this info? they have an average impedance of 8 ohms, and will be easily driven by any receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9171
Dean, if you call Paradigm, they will give you some guidelines, if not the specific charts.
The one guy there, Mike somebody helped me with some odd questions a few years ago.
Might not be Mike still, but they helped me out.

Gavin, Dean might be looking to run these with a tube amp or something off the wall, so the info is always important, critical for low powered situations. Besides, too much info is better than none, I figgur.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5606
Actually that's not so. The Performance series, especially the early incarnations were the toughest Paradigms to drive. I would ask Paradigm for the info but wouldn't hold my breath.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9174
Which part isn't so, Art?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5608
My response was to Gav, sorry Nuck our posts must've crossed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9177
Gotcha.

Post Number: 8
Gavin, I use to figure the same, if it says 8 Ohm that's all I need to know, but I have experienced otherwise and have recently found out why... impedance curves. The Paradigm Studio 20 shows a lot of Hz under 6 Ohm (with a low under 4 and a high @ ~37), though it is shown as an 8 Ohm speaker. I don't have the curve for the 8 Ohm speakers I currently have (too old), but they tapped out my old receiver well before they started rockin', whereas with the new receiver they keep going... unfortunately they don't sound good, hence my quest.

Nuck, I'm not driving them with anything exotic. Quite basic actually, an Onkyo TX-8522, which is why I'm trying to be careful. I want to make an informed choice, rather than buying what the guy at CC recommends (which is what I did last time, 20 years ago).

I'll try contacting Paradigm and see what comes of it. I have found some older Titan info, but it isn't clear as to which version it is. Wharfedale 9.2 and HSU HB-1 are the others I'm looking for, and I have been in contact with Hsu. Yes, the Hsu is a 6 Ohm speaker, but with a low of ~4.8 Ohms at 186Hz it is higher than the 8 Ohm speakers on my list of possibilities. 'Course I don't know what the rest of the curve is like, yet, but it is worth looking into.

Dean

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11721

Even if you aren't running tubes, read this article.

http://www.symphonysound.com/articles/tubefriendly.html

Post Number: 9
Will do. Thank you for the reference.

Dean

Gold Member

Post Number: 9185
I really like that one.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1002
I've never thought they were difficult to drive in all honesty.

The 8522 should drive the Titan FWIW... I have heard this setup at my dealer, when I was demoing speakers back when I bought my atoms.

Post Number: 10
Thanks, Gavin.

I got the 8522 *believing* it was decent enough for the price, but that was before I got here and started to edumacate myself a bit. Now I question my choice, and I don't want to buy something else (speakers, and then maybe a sub) just to feel later I may have made not-so-great choices.

Learning about impedance curves, followed by the relationships of the phasing, makes we want to make a more informed decision even though I'm not putting together a high level whiz-bang system. I realize I may be over analyzing this for what little I am trying to accomplish, but I'm taking this as an education that I can apply later as well.

BTW, I spoke to Onkyo about the performance of their "High-Current, Low-Impedance Drive" at 6 Ohms, and they were clueless: "Oh sure, your 100W 8 Ohm receiver will be 125W at 6 Ohm, and 150W at 4 Ohm!", she was happy to exclaim. I couldn't get any further with that conversation, so I sent an email: "Do you have any data available stating what the TX-8522 will deliver continuously at 6 Ohm?" The response: "The North American model runs at 8ohms." I replied with data on an "8 Ohm" set and a "6 Ohm" set, not specifying which was which, asking which was recommended for use with the 8522. Have yet to hear back... not holding my breath.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us