Which connector poles?

Username: Flame_rose

Post Number: 8
Hi guys;

If a speaker is bi-wirable but is currently being used with single wires, does it make a difference if the cable is connected to the trebble or bass poles??

ThanX.

Bronze Member
Username: Dscrobe

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 70
Maher, I've seen some speakers that have a separate wire connection for each transducer. There are 4 jacks in the back. Is that what you are referring to? I've seen a setup where the jacks were jumpered. The treble lefts were connected and the woofer rights were connected. It didn't matter which one you connected to.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11668

If a bi-wire speaker has jumpers installed, there should be no difference in where you make the connection. (But most factory installed jumpers suck.) If a bi-wire speaker doesn't have the jumpers installed, it will make a huge difference.

Bronze Member

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 71
Jan, the rep (yeah, it's the same one) explained to me that if it is not jumpered then you could run two sets of cables from the speaker to a common point at the amp, where you would tie the ends together. Something about reducing the impedance along the line. Do some amps have separate jacks to avoid tieing the ends together if this is the case?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11671

Yeah, they're called A+B speaker outputs and that's how you bi-wire any speaker that can be. A+B speaker outs are almost universally paralleled inside the amplifier and even if they're not the result is the same. If you don't have A+B, then you just cram all that wire into one tiny little hole (and hope for the best) or use some good connectors. If you don't use bare wire, I prefer spade lugs.

Reducing the impedance, eh? That was his justification for bi-wiring? That's some rep you got there, ds.

Bronze Member

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 73
Hey, that's why I like hanging around this forum. Damn, that's it, I'm switching retailers! All I have in this area is Circuit City and Best Buy. I always understood the A+B to apply to hooking up two pairs of speakers. I just didn't think of hooking them up to one pair of speakers with the 4 separate jacks.

Post Number: 9
Thanks for the input guys. In hope of finding out the answer to my question first hand, I switched my cables from the lower to the upper speaker terminals (despite the jumper being installed) and the difference was huge. Story is as follows; i've got jamo D590 speakers running off a NAD T753 AV receiver and the source is a naim CD5i. Recently bought a Nait 5i and I was getting nasty sounds out of it. Harsh trebble, boomy bass, flat mids ect. Somebody on the naim forum was emphisizing the importance of connecting the speaker cables to the upper speaker terminals rather than the lower ones. It didn't make sense to me since a jumper was connecting both of them. Well, I did the switch and the difference was phenomenal. Best free upgrade imaginable and the most "correct" sound I've heard in my room. Had a friend walk in a few hours after and he immediately asked me what changed the sound so much as he had heard the nait the night before. hehehe AMAZING!!!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2232
From a scientific basis, it probably makes no sense that it would sound better connected to the tweeter terminal rather than the driver terminal. In the real world, what ever sounds better is the way to go. No one can nor should tell you what you will and won't hear.

Have you replaced the jumper plates with speaker wire? It made a big improvement in my system, and many others here as well.

I love the Naim gear BTW.

Post Number: 10
>> Stu;

I was hypothesizing that maybe the way the signal enters the crossover is altered. I'll try the speaker cable instead of jumper trick after the amp is run-in.

I became in love with Naim when I added the CD5i into my system to play CDs instead of the 50$ korean dvd player i was using over a year back. I knew then and there that I had to build an all Naim system :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us