Modified DCM TFE200's.......World Reference Now

Silver Member
Username: Hifisoundguy

Post Number: 160
I can't believe how much better these speakers sound after I cut out the whole side walls of the midrange chamber...its a night and day difference! I CAN'T STOP LISTENING TO MUSIC NOW......IT SOUNDS SOOOOOO REAL NOW. ALL MY FRIENDS ARE AMAZED TOO.....

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9056
Was the mid not getting enough low freq air, Randy? Or is the crossover a little high?
Is this a factory recommended mod, or a warranty stopper?

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
No, this is not a factory recommened mod but I bet it will be the way they make their next speakers......After I cut out the side walls I only put one Sand Pebbles ceramic tile 7.75" square by 5/16" thick in each midrange chamber....I put the tile in the back with one end angled at the top corner with the Sand Pebbles side facing the back side of the speaker driver.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 981
randy... have you ever bought speakers from Meatspin?

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
After listening more, these speakers sound better without the sand pebble tile inthe midrange chamber....they sound best with nothing at all in the chamber. Now I'm waiting for the(all NEW BOSE 901's to come out to compare them with the DCM's...

Gold Member

Post Number: 9059
My heart is all a'twitter...
Does the deletion of the pebble thingy remove the DCM's from the throne of 'World Reference Now'?
And what receiver are you using to place these speakers on Mount Ararat with, Randy?

Oh, the new 901's should be a Milky Way Reference.

Or maybe not so much.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1655
Only if he rips the drivers out of the cabinets, Nuck LOL!

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 370
Been awhile since we had a mod suggestion from Randy.

After supper I'm getting out my reciprocating saw and cuttin' some holes in my Paradigms.

Cool.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
I wished they would come out with a much MUCH larger BOSE ACOUSTIC WAVE MUSIC SYSTEM 3 WITH ALOT MORE POWER...THAT WOULD BE THE NEW REFERENCE BUT MAYBE THE ALL NEW BOSE 901'S WILL BE...COMING SOON!

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
Nuck, I'm using a used Marantz pm7001 integrated amp. Another product I'm using on the DCM's midrange drivers is some MEMORY FOIL FROM PETER BELT. The memory foil really works.....I TRIED IT WITH AND WITHOUT THE FOIL AND YOU CAN HEAR A DIFFERENCE FOR THE BETTER WITH THE FOIL ON THE MIDRANGE DRIVER's FRAME......

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 491
go the f*ck away

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 492
Almost forgot....
I chainsawed my speakers in half tonight, and stuck beef stroganoff in between the speaker connections at the base of the drivers. AND WOW! I realized Im an idiot, and shouldnt have done that. Then I saw a b se commercial, and was happy because I used red tape once.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 374
Ah yes, the old beef stroganoff tweak. Personally I found the acoustic properties of Shepherd's Pie to be a little more subtle, but to each their own.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 982
David.

The tweak that works the best for me is sticking my tool in a light socket when listening to music. It is so much more realistic when doing it this way.

Randy, have you ever tried this? I think you will really enjoy it.

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1115
I'd like to see some pictures of the modified DCM speakers personally...

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
Sorry...no way to post pictures right now. When I did this mod I also took out all wood bracing on the front and back walls in the midrange chamber too. This mod is very easy to do.....from the top of the speaker(wood part) to the bottom of of the midrange chamber it is 7 inches....the top wall is 1/2 inch thick...the front wall is 1 inch thick and the back wall is 1/2 inch thick. I used a drill to make all my corner holes and used a key hole saw to cut out the side walls of the midrange chamber.

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1116
E-mail the pics to me?

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
Sorry...no way to send(E-mail) PICTURES to you. Maybe DCM will start selling them like this after they do some test on them....

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1120
How about regular mail?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9072
Heres the email from Randy, Steve.

Upload

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 987

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1121
Nice.

Somehow I am not shocked that Randy is incapable of proving his exploits...

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 988
I still wonder why the admin continues to let him post here. we all know he is a troll

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 989
I highly doubt anyone that knows about audio could or would do some of the things that he has claimed to do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9079
Aww, Randy is harmless.

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
Anyone that has these speakers that want to do this mod I posted on how to do this mod on http://www.audiokarma.org on the speaker forum there.....Later

Gold Member

Post Number: 9089
But not here for us littl'uns?
Geez, RW, are we an afterthought?

It's breaking my heart.

Unfair, I tell you, unfair!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9090
Ahh, I saw it under 'what you drink when'

That adds up.
Again I went to the DCM site, is that you with the beer?
Oh wait, thats me.

I already know the world beater speaker Randy.

Y'all ain't got it.

Go ahead and ask.

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1125
Bose?

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
Alot people think that the kevlar midrange driver is the best on the market! I'm a BELIEVER now after I did this mod the DCM's KEVLAR MIDRANGE CHAMBER.........!! LATER.............!

Bronze Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 89
Fine, that's great. Knock yourself out. Happy listening.

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
UPDATE ON THIS MOD.......I CUT THE TOP AND BACK WOOD OFF MAKING THIS A TRUE OPEN BAFFLE SPEAKER. NOW THEY ONLY HAVE THE FRONT BAFFLE WITH NO WOOD AROUND THE MIDRANGE. THIS IMPROVED THINGS EVEN MORE...........!!

Bronze Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 90
What if that had made it sound worse ? You're truly a wild man....WHO LOVES HIS CAPS LOCK !!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9095
hehehe

Randy, by the time you are done bastardizing these things, they will not be recognizable as a marketable product.
When you said that removing the internal bracing and improved the midrange, I figgured you were a fiddler.
Now you are a jackasss.

The actual best speakers are Gallo's, from my seat here.

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
Nuck...I HEARD the Gallo's they suck big time! Why do they put sh#t like this on the market???????????????

Gold Member

Post Number: 9100
So you can belittle them. Why else?

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 990
The Gallo Ref series sucks...

that's a new one, and most likely the first and only time I will EVER hear that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9102
Yeah, Gavin. All the owners with Mac, Classe, Krell, Mark Levinson say they suck too.

Well, OK, I stuck Classe in there.My bad.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 992
they were really open, with awesome highs. The mids were fabulous, but the bass could be a pita if the room and equipment were not taken into careful consideration.

If driven and positioned properly, the bass was fabulous. If not, according to the dealer, it sucked

Haven't heard the latest iteration. Maybe it has changed, and for the downturn. I hope not.

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
Well....my dcm's sound better now...I put hookup wires from my crossover board out to my speaker cables....I also put hookup wires from my midrange down to my speaker cables. This midrange sounds AMAZING with NO CROSSOVER CAP in its path! I will never sell these speakers now...NEVER! I see that DCM came out with a new model now, that means you can get these TFE200's at a great price...I'm thinking about getting another pair now..... later

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
I used white lighting cable for hookup wires..... woods yard master patio cord from Wal-Mart $7.44 6moons.com/audioreviews/whitelighting/moonshine.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/whitelightning/moonshine.html

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2240
How much of the Yard Master cable have you been exposed to?
Are you in California?

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
After you have heard a GOOD open baffle speaker your NEVER go back to a BOX speaker ever again!..............

Bronze Member
Username: Parnelly

Post Number: 12
Your bold opinionated statements are tiring and weak at best.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9116
A quick recap.
RW's speakers are the best.
Then open the box, remove the cab bracing, hog off the mid boxes and stuff in marbles...even better yet.
Marbles do not work, remove them.
Now saw the cab's in half(order another pair)and try a baffle board on componants(multiple) that were never designed to work that way.
With a mid enclosure now exposed fully.
Oh, and the Gallos are awful.

Did I miss anything?

Gosh, have I ever been taken to school.

Of course, RW, you could put it all back together with school paste...if you hadn't eaten it all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
Well....I did some more mods! I cut off the corners at the top of the speaker's midrange baffles. The baffle looks more like a v shape now...I cut the top baffle at a angle. I marked off 2 3/4 inches at the top of the baffle on both sides at the top and cut them both at a angle. This improved things even more.....drawing you into the music even more!........

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 124
Why do I keep reading this stuff?

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
Because...Randy Warren is always thinking of improving things even more.......

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 493
Randy, why not just cut to the chase. Cut the entire "box" out, leaving just the woofers, and tweeter, hang em from the speaker wire, precisely 7 feet from the ceiling, facing east.
This should surely get rid of any doubts you have about the speaker designer using improper crossovers, or speaker box designs for the woofers they have chosen. And magically you will have found the ULTIMATE speaker. It should give you a very "open" sound.

Bronze Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 97
I cut off the corners at the top of the speaker's midrange baffles. The baffle looks more like a v shape now

What the heck was left to cut ?

drawing you into the music even more!........

You mean, drawing you into the speaker even more....so you could cut some more. And of course it just keeps.....getting....better !!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
I'm going to be very busy soon...some of my friends are getting these dcm speakers and want me to do these mods on them.....I MADE GOOD SPEAKERS GREAT NOW WITH MY MODS....LATER!

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
Well...I did one more mod to these speakers...I rounded off the top part of the midrange baffles....this was better! I'm done with the mods now.....LATER!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9158
World reference now...that I have nothing left but a baffle board.
Atta boy, Randy.

This is why I hang at ecoustics...

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 999
ever wonder who randy really is? me thinks it is wiley just being his trollish self.

or does randy really believe in his tweaks.

nobody in their right mind would think that a Bose home product would be the world reference in audio reproduction if they knew a single thing about sound reproduction as referenced several times by RW. Although I do like their headsets and pro speakers, their home line sucks.

this guy is a troll..has to be

or he is just a plain moron.

but we already established that...didn't we?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9170
But he sure knows his Gallo's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
How good are these Modified DCM's? THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.....MY ((MAGGIEVANDY SPEAKERS))......!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9207
There are 2?

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
Nuck...two types....Planar and Dynamic speakers. Nuck look over on www.audiogon.com on the speaker forum....they are others that think the Gallos suck too....its under the thread....>>> Tyler/Salk sensible alternatives to Gallos ? Or just do a GOOGLE SEARCH ON THIS...^^^^^^

Gold Member

Post Number: 9213
Worlds, Randy, worlds.
What sky is the colour in yours?

And until you own either it's just...empty...words.

There are reasons why people choose to compare goods to the established benchmark, Randy, furthering the opinions of others that these are benchmarks for a reason.

Yer turn, flyboy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us