Receiver or Strictly Amplifier...? What is the best solution here?

Username: Summerj

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 2
Hello Glad to meet everyone. This site is a wealth of information. You guys are all awesome! I have been reading your posts for days now. but still have a few questions:

I need help with an amp selection. I have 6 ceiling mounted
speakers throughout different (20 watts each) rooms and 2 patio speakers (40 watts) mounted outside as well. I currently have a lower end onkyo 2100,100w high discrete amp (I can hear everyone laughing... lol) receiver with a/b switches that I am using. It has become very noisy on the left channel. The volume control is so scratchy I need headphones on to adjust it. lol
I am sure i have put it under too much stress at times so it's failure is probably my fault- waste of 200 bucks 3 yrs ago

I am looking to buy a used NAD Amp along with some sort of separate volume control device where I can run all of my speaker leads into. My house is older so running volume controls at the speaker itself is not possible. Is this what I need?

Oh... I use my mac laptop,or I pod to run music files through or I use my sirus sat radio. so no FM is needed (Though I do have it on my piece of crap Onkyo)

Questions:
1. What model used Amp do you suggest ($200-300 max)I know some of you are not e-bay fans but for my price range I am stuck there-I will be careful.
2. What is the technical name for the box with all of the volume controls and who makes a good one?

Thanks in advance for your help

Jim

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11643

Your least expensive route would be a speaker selector with volume controls. You need something with load protection for your amplifier when playing additional speakers; and switches with load protection come in two styles. One has a big load resistor at the end of the line and loads down the amp when protecion is in place. It's crude and would be considered the sledgehammer approach. The other has autoformers and shows the amp a constant eight Ohm load no matter how many speakers are playing. The latter is preferable but, as you can probably guess, it is more expensive. However, you've wasted $200 so far, so you would be wise to buy what works for your needs rather than buy something that doesn't and replacing it in a few years. Put "autoformer speaker selector" in a search engine to find possible choices.

The other choice would be a multi-channel amplifier that feeds signal to your auxilliary speakers. This would require a receiver with at least a pre amp output or, better yet, a zone two operation. Both items get you into more cash outlay.

If you use the speaker selector with autofomers, you can use any amplifier/receiver you prefer that is stable into a four Ohm load. I would suggest a Harman Kardon but that's just my preference.

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 3
OK thanks I will look for a speaker selector with an auto former.

I will also price used Harman Kardon amps. Is there any particular model that comes to mind that would be best for this multi speaker capacity?

Also: Would a straight amp be a better choice vs tuner/amp which seem to be lower powered? (Sorry for the ignorance here).

There is so much to learn here and the more that I learn-the more $$$ I want to spend. What is that old saying...".ignorance is bliss"..? lol!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11646

No particular HK. Buy what suits your needs and remember that AV oriented receivers usually have a limited life span. I would rather spend money on something new with a warranty than a pre owned AV receiver. Stereo receivers have a longer lifespan but fewer features.

A "straight amp" would be a basic power amplifier. You won't have the ability to switch sources with such an item. Stick with a receiver unless you have more money to spend. I would suggest you stop by a quality audio shop for some assistance and listen to what they have to sell. A knowledgeable dealer can prevent a lot of expensive mistakes.

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 4
Update>.. Hot off of the wire....;;;.....;;;;

I just purchased a vintage Harman Kardon 330VI for $48 shipping included on E-bay. I think they were made from 1988-1990 but not positive. The spects looked decent and the price was right.

Now I am looking at the Niles 6 speaker volume control used for under 100 bucks.

Anyone know anything about Niles?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5538
I hope you communicated with the seller before shipping otherwise you may wind up with a box full of parts...good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 368
I've used Niles speaker switches before. They certainly worked as advertised.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11649

Niles for $100 has the big load resistor. The 330 doesn't have lots of power to go around. What is the spec on that version of the receiver?

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 5
This is what I Purchased:
I noticed the power rating on this HK being on the low side but I figured that would be ok since my 6" ceiling speakers responded well to my crummy Onkyo 2100. The Onkyo is labeled100watt on the front but from what I have learned from you guys ...this is a bunch of crap!

Are you saying that the Niles control will bog this amp down too much?

Harman Kardon HK-330VI stereo receiver, $.99, No Reserve

Description

- This Receiver is fully functional and is in good cosmetic condition. See photos for condition.
- The Receiver has inputs for Phono, CD, Video, Tape 1 in & out, Tape 2 in & out.
- A & B speaker outputs
- Auction includes the receiver only. No remote or accessories, but all functions are accessible from the front panel.
- Power output:
- - 25 watts per channel, 8 ohms, 20-20kHz, with no more than 0.09% total harmonic distortion.
- - Dynamic power = 35 wpc @ 8 ohms, 55 wpc @ 4 ohms, 70 wpc @ 2 ohms.
- Don't let the power ratings fool you, Harman Kardon is a quality brand.
- Their receivers and amps have very low distortion and are underrated when compared to other brands.
- For more specifications, scroll down to the last picture, or download the Owner's Manual.

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 6
Here is one option for a Niles Volume control. The little bit of research that I did on Niles came back all positive. For about $50 more dollars I can get the version with the adjustable volume control rather than just on off.

Item Description: You are bidding on one (1) Niles Six-Pair Speaker Selection System SS-6 NEW IN BOX offered to you by i Sold It, the leading seller on eBay. This Niles SS-6 is brand new and comes in the original box. It has never been used. The box has some scratches and slight wear on the bottom. Here are the specs on this unit:
Handles up to 100 watts per channel RMS
Protection circuit safeguards receiver / amplifier
Separate left and right ground paths for compatibility with all amplifiers, including bridged designs
Removable screwless connectors accommodate up to 14 gauge wire
Rugged all metal chassis construction

Would the one with volume control drain more power than the selector switch model?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11652

If you don't buy a switchbox with VC's, how are you going to control the volume of the remote speakers?

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 7
If I went that route I guess I I would not be able to.
That type of box would only give me a speaker on off option. It would work well with the pair on the patio. The V/C box is the more expensive option- I just didn't know if one type would be easier on the amp vs. the non volume control?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11655

The easiest on the amp is the autoformer type control. This is not that unit. I would suggest you consider controlling the volume on the various speakers connected to the receiver. And 25 watts doesn't go very far with a dozen speakers connected all at once. If you play all the speakers at the same time, you might want to consider just how much volume you expect from each pair.

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 8
Thanks Jan for all of your input. Sorry for my lack of knowledge here.
Yeah I guess I should have went with something a little more powerful. I will look for the autoformer control that you suggested. I saw multiple 5 series HK's that were running in the low 100's at the time I purchased this one.

Question: My old Onkyo $189.00 2100 -100watt High Discrete amp seemed to put out enough power to run 6 of my speakers w/o the use of a volume control. (I am now embarassed to say how I accomplished this with only 4 speaker terminals). I realize now that these cheaper amps are very misleading in their labeling and the more expensive amps tend to be under rated.
Would it be safe to say that this new H/K amp will be very simular in true power rating?
I am also beginning to understand the load that multiple speakers can put on an amp.

If this amp seems to be underpowered - I guess will just put it back up for auction.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11660

HK usually measures slightly higher than its rated power. However, rated power into a load resistor and real power into a speaker load, particularly when a VC pads down the signal, can be very different beasts. Try the 330, it's a good amp, and see if it suits your needs. If you're not looking for high volume, it might do the job. Outdoor speakers, however, since they do not have the advantage of reinforcement by containing walls, tend to suck power.

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 9
Jan,

After much looking around this is what I ordered:
http://www.wallcoinc.com/Speco_SDC_6VCA_Stereo_distribution_center_6_ste_p/sdc-6 vca.htm

It is made by Speco and I spent $230 for it but it has the protection the autoformer protection. This option doubles the price of the volume control but I guess when you look at it like it will save you from buying a new amp every two years -it's worth it.

Thanks for all of your help and patience,

Jim

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11662

That looks like it should work nicely. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us